Windows 10: I Need to ReInstall Windows 10 but it was an upgrade, Help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    14 Feb 2017 #1

    I Need to ReInstall Windows 10 but it was an upgrade, Help?


    Need to ReInstall Windows 10 home 64-bit, Please help methods?

    I have Windows 10 Home 64bit and need to reinstall it, not clean install, and I no disc or product or license for it. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 back when doing so was 100% free, so I do have a legit version Windows 7 siting here.

    What method, or methods, are safe and easy to do a repair install of windows 10 home 64bit under my situation?

    thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    14 Feb 2017 #2

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

    and here is where to get the Windows 10 ISO file:
    Windows 10 ISO Download
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    14 Feb 2017 #3

    If your talking about reinstalling windows, you could try Resetting your PC
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4. AddRAM's Avatar
    Posts : 893
    Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
       16 Feb 2017 #4

    Why don`t you want to do a clean install ?

    What exactly is the issue that you have to run a repair install ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    17 Feb 2017 #5

    Upgrading is still enabled if you have a valid Win 7 key, so that's always one option (supposedly, it's for people who use assistive technology - but MS are a bit woolly about the fine detail, it seems). Anyway - a sequence that still works is:
    • get hold of a copy of the Win 10 install (e.g. the ISO file linked to in another post in this thread)
    • do a basic install of WIn 7
    • activate your Win 7 key
    • run the Win 10 install over the top, and select the option to upgrade your OS when the choice comes up


    I had to go round that loop myself only a few days ago. I found that a few of the Win 10 device drivers needed updating once it came up, but apart from that it was pretty painless, and seems to have worked fine.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    17 Feb 2017 #6

    Doghouse said: View Post
    Upgrading is still enabled if you have a valid Win 7 key, so that's always one option (supposedly, it's for people who use assistive technology - but MS are a bit woolly about the fine detail, it seems). Anyway - a sequence that still works is:
    • get hold of a copy of the Win 10 install (e.g. the ISO file linked to in another post in this thread)
    • do a basic install of WIn 7
    • activate your Win 7 key
    • run the Win 10 install over the top, and select the option to upgrade your OS when the choice comes up


    I had to go round that loop myself only a few days ago. I found that a few of the Win 10 device drivers needed updating once it came up, but apart from that it was pretty painless, and seems to have worked fine.
    Why install Windows 10 a second time? That has never been necessary.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    17 Feb 2017 #7

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Why install Windows 10 a second time? That has never been necessary.
    Sorry, yes, OP said a reinstall. The sequence I mentioned works to do a full, clean install of Win 10 using a Win 7 key. There may well be be other, easier options even for that; I'm no expert.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    17 Feb 2017 #8

    Doghouse said: View Post
    Sorry, yes, OP said a reinstall. The sequence I mentioned works to do a full, clean install of Win 10 using a Win 7 key. There may well be be other, easier options even for that; I'm no expert.
    I was speaking about your sequence to do a full, clean install of Windows 10 using a Windows 7 product key to activate. There is an easier option. Leave out the last step of reinstalling Windows 10 a second time it isn't necessary.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    18 Feb 2017 #9

    You can actually skip the activation screen and it should auto activate if the machine had a running version of Win 10
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. AddRAM's Avatar
    Posts : 893
    Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
       18 Feb 2017 #10

    He wants to do a repair install, not a clean install, and he has been given the instructions in the 1st reply.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 this week. During the upgrade I was informed that a couple of pieces of software were being removed due to incompatibility, but it also removed my Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IASTOR) service without...
Have a Lenovo H420 desktop that was upgraded about 2 months ago. We backed up everything and want to reinstall Windows 7. But I can find no way to get into the Setup screen. I've gone to Settings, Update & Security, Advanced Startup and Restart...
Hi, just acquired a Asus x205ta laptop because last owner failed in upgrade from 8 to 10. Current state = no boot, but I can access bios and boot from USB. I created a Win 8.1 USB drive and recovery options failed but proposed boot into Win10...
I have downloaded the Windows 10 Pro ISO file from MS and burnt it to a DVD. It offers to install it as an upgrade over my Win 8.1 Pro installation on my PC. Once I have done this, can I then format the hard drive, and do a clean installation...
Hey all I reserved my free windows 10 upgrade then my computer crashed and I had to reinstall windows 8. Will I still get the free upgrade?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:19.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums