How to ROLL BACK from Win10 to Win7?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 116
    Several
       #1

    How to ROLL BACK from Win10 to Win7?


    I've decided not to use Win10 and wish to roll back to the original Win7 that was on the drive. Win10 has the old system backed up to the Windows.old directory...but is there a tool or application in Win10 to initiate the roll back?

    I know I can wipe and reload or use my backup from last October but I would like to see if there is a Win10 method first.

    Regards,
    GEWB
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 138
    Windows 10 Pro - 15063 / 7 Pro
       #2

    GEWB,

    There isn't technically a way to roll back. You will have to probably have to use your back up. If there is someone in the community familiar with the way to roll back, they can correct me.

    Best of luck.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 14,050
    Windows 11 Pro X64 22H2 22621.1848
       #3

    This is for Vista and Win 7 but might work from Win 10 back to Win 7.

    How to Restore your Windows.old Folder into a New Installation
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 112
    Win 7
       #4

    GEWB said:
    I've decided not to use Win10 and wish to roll back to the original Win7 that was on the drive. Win10 has the old system backed up to the Windows.old directory...but is there a tool or application in Win10 to initiate the roll back?

    I know I can wipe and reload or use my backup from last October but I would like to see if there is a Win10 method first.

    Regards,
    GEWB
    Why did you decide not to use Win 10? Any problems? I'm still using Win 7, considering to upgrade to Win 10 when it releases. It seems that I need to get a backup utility too, just in case that I want to return to Win 7. What are you using for backup?
    Any free options? I've heard about acronis true image, but it's not free. Fbackup and easeus todo backup are free, but not sure they're good.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 116
    Several
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Ztruker said:
    This is for Vista and Win 7 but might work from Win 10 back to Win 7.

    How to Restore your Windows.old Folder into a New Installation
    Thanks for the link but since that machine is strictly a test bed I think I'll wipe the drive and try another Linux distro that was released a few days ago.

    Regards,
    GEWB
    Last edited by GEWB; 24 Jun 2015 at 21:21.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 116
    Several
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Molyy said:
    Why did you decide not to use Win 10? Any problems?

    Any free options? I've heard about acronis true image, but it's not free. Fbackup and easeus todo backup are free, but not sure they're good.
    Hello Molyy -

    No problems regarding hardware integration (everything worked). I have personal issues with the direction MS took with this release.

    First some background. I have used almost every release of Windows since Windows 286, including the NT versions AND "Bob" (yeah, I tried it). The ONLY version I passed on was Windows ME. Today I have active installs of six versions of Windows from XP to Win10TP.

    I judge the releases based on several factors:
    • How well it integrates with my hardware
    • GUI ease of use
    • Core functionality to accomplish tasks I need to do
    • User control of the operating system
    • Personal judgement call of balance between what I like and don't like in the release


    With the Web-centric direction of Win10 AND not being able to remove these applications, I have no use for:
    • Camera
    • Cortana
    • Games
    • Insider Hub
    • Maps
    • Microsoft Solitaire Collection
    • Music
    • OneDrive
    • OneNote
    • People
    • Photos
    • Store
    • Video
    • Voice Recorder
    • Weather
    • XBox


    I find several of the above absolute deal breakers as they can't be removed from Win10. I also don't like the bolted-in integration of the Microsoft browser (with Bing).

    So, when I look at not wanting or using the list above coupled with the reduced user functionality (which has been degrading for many releases) I cannot find a compelling reason to use Win10 - it has nothing to offer me.

    As to backup software, I use the Windows built-in and EaseUS Todo.

    Regards,
    GEWB
    Last edited by GEWB; 25 Jun 2015 at 06:30.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 163
    win 10 pro
       #7

    Just use your backup tool backup your data whatever you need and do a clean install.
    This article may be able to solve your problem : How to: Rollback to a previous version of Windows from Windows 10 | Teching It Easy: with Windows
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 112
    Win 7
       #8

    GEWB said:
    Hello Molyy -

    No problems regarding hardware integration (everything worked). I have personal issues with the direction MS took with this release.

    First some background. I have used almost every release of Windows since Windows 286, including the NT versions AND "Bob" (yeah, I tried it). The ONLY version I passed on was Windows ME. Today I have active installs of six versions of Windows from XP to Win10TP.

    I judge the releases based on several factors:
    • How well it integrates with my hardware
    • GUI ease of use
    • Core functionality to accomplish tasks I need to do
    • User control of the operating system
    • Personal judgement call of balance between what I like and don't like in the release


    With the Web-centric direction of Win10 AND no being able to remove these applications, I have no use for:
    • Camera
    • Cortana
    • Games
    • Insider Hub
    • Maps
    • Microsoft Solitaire Collection
    • Music
    • OneDrive
    • OneNote
    • People
    • Photos
    • Store
    • Video
    • Voice Recorder
    • Weather
    • XBox


    I find several of the above absolute deal breakers as they can't be removed from Win10. I also don't like the bolted-in integration of the Microsoft browser (with Bing).

    So, when I look at not wanting or using the list above coupled with the reduced user functionality (which has been degrading for many releases) I cannot find a compelling reason to use Win10 - it has nothing to offer me.

    As to backup software, I use the Windows built-in and EaseUS Todo.

    Regards,
    GEWB
    OK, I see. The built-in apps are sometimes annoying. And I'm gonna try easeus todo. Thanks a lot.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 116
    Several
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Molyy, you're welcome.

    Regards,
    GEWB
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 8
    win 10
       #10

    GEWB you expressed my concerns exactly. I do have a software problem, old docs. created in WordPerfect 12, MS Word 2013 and Open Office 4.1.1 are messed up in various way and I currently can not save any new docs or docs from my scanner. Win 7 is looking very good. My only concern with a rollback is the possibility of creating more problems. However, even with that I am thinking about a rollback. I agree that the direction MicroSoft seems to be taking with this OS is disturbing.
    Painter3
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:06.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums