1.    23 Dec 2016 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 577
    Win10 & Win7

    How to do dual boot, Win10 & Win7, with a restored image of one OS?


    I have a Dell XPS 8700 that came with Win 7. Before I did the Win 10 upgrade, I ran a drive image of the drive where the OS and the drive where several of the data folders were relocated. Iíve kept those images. After the upgrade, I decided to do a clean install of Win10 and install a larger capacity SSD and another spinner at the same time giving me 2 SSDs and 2 spinners. I decided not to keep the Win7 installation so I wiped the old SSD but kept it installed in the system. Now I would like to restore the original Win 7 image to that original SSD. This is because there are a few older video games that will only play in Win7 because of the Securerom issue with Win10.

    My first question is since I am restoring an image, I assume that there will be no dual boot menu created, how can I create one where I will have the GUI menu with Win 10 as the first selection?

    Second, when I restore the image of the Win7 OS, I will also need to restore the image of another drive (a spinner) that held the redirected Documents, Downloads, Music, Photos, and Video folders from the Win7 installation. I can foresee that the Win7 installation will not know where to find these folder. If so then is there a way that I can let the Win7 OS know where to find these redirected folders since the disk layout will be different? Since I have done the same redirection with Win10, it is possible that the redirection in both Win10 and Win7 might be pointing to the same spinner. Any thoughts on how I could prevent this from happening?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    23 Dec 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,419
    Windows 10 Pro

    I cannot help you with the redirected folders. Once you restore the Windows 7 OS partition (you do not have to restore any system reserved or recovery partitions with it, just the OS partition), reboot Windows 10. If Windows 10 does not assign it a drive letter, go into Windows 10 disk management and assign it a drive letter. Since you've got a lot of drives and partitions already, let's assume it gets assigned drive letter J:.

    Right click on start icon, select Command Prompt (Admin). In the command prompt window run:

    bcdboot J:\Windows /d /addlast
    exit

    The path in red will be to the Winodws folder of the restored Windows 7 partition. Change the drive letter to whatever it gets. This drive letter has no affect when you boot into Windows 7. Then you can run msconfig (which is system configuration).
    Select the boot tab, and you can adjust the boot menu timeout and the order the Windows installations appear.

    I would also turn off Windows 10 fast startup as it tends to interfere with dual booting Windows 7:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

    Once you boot into Windows 7, it will give itself C: drive. You will probably have to go into disk management and re-arrange your other drive letters. This will not affect the drive letter assignments when booted into Windows 10. I don't know how it will handle the redirected data folders to begin with.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    23 Dec 2016 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 577
    Win10 & Win7
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I cannot help you with the redirected folders. Once you restore the Windows 7 OS partition (you do not have to restore any system reserved or recovery partitions with it, just the OS partition), reboot Windows 10. If Windows 10 does not assign it a drive letter, go into Windows 10 disk management and assign it a drive letter. Since you've got a lot of drives and partitions already, let's assume it gets assigned drive letter J:.

    Right click on start icon, select Command Prompt (Admin). In the command prompt window run:

    bcdboot J:\Windows /d /addlast
    exit

    The path in red will be to the Winodws folder of the restored Windows 7 partition. Change the drive letter to whatever it gets. This drive letter has no affect when you boot into Windows 7. Then you can run msconfig (which is system configuration).
    Select the boot tab, and you can adjust the boot menu timeout and the order the Windows installations appear.

    I would also turn off Windows 10 fast startup as it tends to interfere with dual booting Windows 7:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

    Once you boot into Windows 7, it will give itself C: drive. You will probably have to go into disk management and re-arrange your other drive letters. This will not affect the drive letter assignments when booted into Windows 10. I don't know how it will handle the redirected data folders to begin with.
    Hi NavyLCDR. Thanks for quick reply. Your directions were perfect. Unfortunately the restored Win7 OS wouldn't activate. I should have know that but I added to my experience so it was time well spent.
    Last edited by SoFine409; 24 Dec 2016 at 13:16.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    24 Dec 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,419
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by SoFine409 View Post
    Hi NavyLCDR. Thanks for quick reply. Your directions were perfect. Unfortunately the restored Win7 OS wouldn't activate. I should have know that but I added to my experience so it was time well spent.
    In a command prompt with administrator privileges in Windows 7 you can run:

    slui 3

    You can use phone activation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    25 Dec 2016 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 577
    Win10 & Win7
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    In a command prompt with administrator privileges in Windows 7 you can run:

    slui 3

    You can use phone activation.
    When I booted to Win7 after I put in my password I got the message "Preparing your desktop" and after a few minutes I got to a solid light blue screen with only the ability to log out, restart, or shut down and at the bottom right the build number and something like "this system is not legitimate." I never got to the desktop. I assume that in the background the system contacted the license servers and found the my Win7 license was retired. At least I learned how to do a dual boot and restore the original boot record.

    UPDATE 2016-12-25: I unplugged my internet connection to keep the restored Win7 OS from contacting the MS license servers and was able to successfully boot to Win7. I checked the license and it was fine. I rebooted again after reconnecting the network and everything is fine. Now I have to get some advice on the redirection issue because both OSs are seeing the same data folders so I'll post a fresh thread on that. Thanks again for your help. Happy Holidays.
    Last edited by SoFine409; 25 Dec 2016 at 11:42.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
dual boot win7/win10 wont boot to win7 anymore +BSOD "memory managemen
My pc specs * asus z97-p motherboard * intel i7 4790 cpu * bequiet 630w psu * 8gig corsair vengeance ram * samsung 850evo 250gig ssd (win 7pro 64bit drive) * sandisk ultra II ssd 128gig ssd (win 10 drive) * 2x crucial 500gig bx100 ssd (data drives)...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
how to dual boot win10 and win7
I upgraded to win 10 on my pc bt I discovered my gaming is too slow, so I want to install win 7 through a system image I created on my second pc( the same type and specs but different username and o.s since I upgraded my main pc from win7 to...
Installation and Upgrade
Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?
Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact. Is this possible? Can I just go through the...
Installation and Upgrade
Will update Win7>Win10 deactivate second Win7 drive in a Dual boot?
Here's the situation. I have a 17" laptop with two Win 7 drives set up with dual boot. One is a 128gb SSD with all my work software. (AutoCad, Rhino, etc) The other is a new 256 SSD with only the Win7 OS installed. Both use the same laptop...
General Support
Dual Boot Win7 & Win10
I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal :D
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:05.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums