Windows 10: "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    03 Dec 2016 #1

    "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one"


    So I'm trying to install Windows 10 32-bit on a friend's laptop from a USB stick and it's giving me this error, no matter what I do.
    I've tried setting the partition as active, I don't have anything else plugged in, and I've unplugged and replugged the device. No dice. Help!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    03 Dec 2016 #2

    If you are using a USB3 stick try using a USB2 stick. That might be the problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    03 Dec 2016 #3

    SoFine409 said: View Post
    If you are using a USB3 stick try using a USB2 stick. That might be the problem.
    That's what I thought it might be, but I used a 2.0 port.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    03 Dec 2016 #4

    Are you trying to install to a blank drive, or a drive with partitions already on it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    04 Dec 2016 #5

    I tried both. I read that an unallocated drive was best, but that didn't work, either.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    04 Dec 2016 #6

    Is the USB stick formated in FAT32 ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    04 Dec 2016 #7

    First questions, does the laptop have a legacy BIOS or UEFI, and is your USB setup to boot both legacy BIOS and UEFI?

    At the point in Windows setup where you have the list of drives and partitions, press Shift - F10 to open a command prompt. Assuming the laptop has only 1 HDD/SSD, that is the HDD/SSD you are trying to install Windows onto, and there is no data on that HDD/SDD you want to keep, run the following commands:

    Diskpart
    Select Disk 0
    Detail DIsk


    Do both Current read-only state: and Read-only: say no?

    Clean - this will erase the entire HDD/SDD
    List Part - Are any partitions shown left on the disk? The answer should be no partitions shown.
    Convert GPT - Use this command only if the laptop is UEFI
    Convert MBR - Use this command only if the laptop is legacy BIOS
    Exit
    Exit


    If the above completes successfully, Read-only states are NO, and there are no partitions on the HDD/SDD, then the problem is with the Windows 10 USB flash drive.

    Then click the refresh button below the list of drives and partitions, select the unallocated space on the Drive 0 and click next to install Windows to the blank space.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    04 Dec 2016 #8

    GuyInDogSuit said: View Post
    That's what I thought it might be, but I used a 2.0 port.
    The port is not the problem it is the stick itself. When the installer looks at the disks for comparability it looks at the USB3 stick as well as the destination drive and that's what triggers the warning message. It is not compatible with USB3. It's really makes no sense but that just the was MS coded it. This has happened to me before.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    04 Dec 2016 #9

    Wullail said: View Post
    Is the USB stick formated in FAT32 ?
    Rufus does not allow Win10 images to be written to FAT32.

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    First questions, does the laptop have a legacy BIOS or UEFI, and is your USB setup to boot both legacy BIOS and UEFI?
    At the point in Windows setup where you have the list of drives and partitions, press Shift - F10 to open a command prompt. Assuming the laptop has only 1 HDD/SSD, that is the HDD/SSD you are trying to install Windows onto, and there is no data on that HDD/SDD you want to keep, run the following commands:
    Diskpart
    Select Disk 0
    Detail DIsk

    Do both Current read-only state: and Read-only: say no?
    Clean - this will erase the entire HDD/SDD
    List Part - Are any partitions shown left on the disk? The answer should be no partitions shown.
    Convert GPT - Use this command only if the laptop is UEFI
    Convert MBR - Use this command only if the laptop is legacy BIOS
    Exit
    Exit

    If the above completes successfully, Read-only states are NO, and there are no partitions on the HDD/SDD, then the problem is with the Windows 10 USB flash drive.
    Then click the refresh button below the list of drives and partitions, select the unallocated space on the Drive 0 and click next to install Windows to the blank space.
    It was created by Rufus, so yes, it is both. I tried all that with Diskpart and it still gives me the same error. This same flash drive has worked fine on other devices before, using this very same installer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    04 Dec 2016 #10

    GuyInDogSuit said: View Post
    Rufus does not allow Win10 images to be written to FAT32.

    It was created by Rufus, so yes, it is both. I tried all that with Diskpart and it still gives me the same error. This same flash drive has worked fine on other devices before, using this very same installer.
    Your two statements inside the same post contradict each other. In order to be compatible with UEFI, the USB flash drive must be formatted as FAT32. See the Important box in step 9 here:
    Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

    Did all of the diskpart commands complete successfully while in the command prompt window?

    Rufus is loaded with options that when not select exactly correctly will cause problems. I use the above linked procedure to create Windows 10 USB flash drives, using FAT32 as stated in the Important box. Then for step 12 mount the Windows 10 ISO file downloaded from Microsoft and copy the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

    As final step, I like to copy the boot.wim file from \Sources on Kyhi's recovery tools ISO file to the \Sources folder of the Windows 10 USB flash drive. That way I can use all the utilities on his recovery tools drive and install Windows 10 from the same USB flash drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Does not meet system requirements Get Important updates: cleared. Gets windows 10 ready but then it Checks requirements: Windows does not prompt any choices, We couldn't update the system partition Dialog crashes.
I had a kali linux installed in my computer. Then I tried to install Windows 10 using a bootable USB drive. (I created it by downloading the windows 10 ISO and then creating USB drive using Rufus.) But when I was trying to install windows 10, it...
This is the 2nd system (my wife's computer) we want to run Windows 10. Currently that system is running windows 7 Pro. The first system system went without a single hitch and it was running windows 7 Pro as well.. The download was complete so I...
When I try to do a clean install of Win10 Home 64-bit on a Dell Inspiron N5010 (a little over 4 years old) using the Media Creation Tool on a USB, I get to the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen and when I select the Drive 0 Unallocated...
Hi, I am running win 8.1 and I want to upgrade to win 10. It show me this message: 27831 This is my HD: 27832
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54.
Find Us