Windows 10: In-Place Upgrade fails with message "not enough disk space"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.    17 Nov 2016 #1

    In-Place Upgrade fails with message "not enough disk space"


    Hi there!
    First of all thanks for the great toturial and the forum.

    I tried to do the in-place upgrade from Windows 10 (build 1607) in order to "repair" my system (there are some quirks I want to get rid off) using a freshly created USB (as per description), but it fails with the message "make sure that there is enough disk space available in your PC" (rough translation from german; see attached screenshot) without any further information.

    It then automatically cycles back to the question on how to install (i.e. with keeping data and apps or without) and then back into the above mentioned error message.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	notEnoughDiskSpaceError_Win10Upgrade.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	110349


    This is what I already tried or made sure of prerequisites needed:
    • I have made sure that there is definitely enough disk space available.
    • My C: partition (where windows resides on) is 106 GB large and has currently over 58 GB of free space available.
    • The system partition that is supposed to be 350 MB is still 350 MB (I read something about this potentially being reduced to 100 MB by other tools ...).
    • I have deinstalled the Kaspersky anti virus tool (reinstalled it now after several tries with no success).
    • I have disabled (i.e. fully decrypted) the disk encryption bitlocker on all disks.


    My partitions (as seen from "Mini Tool Partition Wizard" and "Disk Manager"):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PartitionWizard.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	535.5 KB 
ID:	110350Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DiskManager.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	110351

    Do you have any ideas on what else could be wrong?
    What intrigues me most is the fact that there is no further information in the error message on what or where is missing regarding disk space...

    Thanks in advance for your help!!!

    Mark
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 14,441
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       17 Nov 2016 #2

    Hi, Mark and welcome to Ten Forums.
    Have you tried to mount the ISO in File Explore, instead if using an USB stick?
    I just download the current ISO here: Windows 10 ISO , mount it in File Explorer and run the setup.exe.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	110352
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    17 Nov 2016 #3

    Cliff S said: View Post
    Hi, Mark and welcome to Ten Forums.
    Have you tried to mount the ISO in File Explore, instead if using an USB stick?
    I just download the current ISO here: Windows 10 ISO , mount it in File Explorer and run the setup.exe.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	110352
    Just downloaded the ISO, saved it on an USB stick and tried to mount it.
    Unfortunately it does not work (the mounting). Tried even in the Windows Power Shell, but the command to mount does not finish ...

    I will try to mount from another partition (instead of from the USB disk)...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 20,984
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       17 Nov 2016 #4

    markrosa said: View Post
    Just downloaded the ISO, saved it on an USB stick and tried to mount it.
    Unfortunately it does not work (the mounting). Tried even in the Windows Power Shell, but the command to mount does not finish ...

    I will try to mount from another partition (instead of from the USB disk)...
    You don't need to put it on a USB stick. Simply right click the ISO and click Mount. If Mount is not a choice, right click "open with" and choose explorer. Right click the setup.exe file and Run as Administrator.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    17 Nov 2016 #5

    markrosa said: View Post
    Just downloaded the ISO, saved it on an USB stick and tried to mount it.
    Unfortunately it does not work (the mounting). Tried even in the Windows Power Shell, but the command to mount does not finish ...

    I will try to mount from another partition (instead of from the USB disk)...
    You can't always mount ISO stored on removable drives (only if they are formatted NTFS I think).

    Best to copy it to your desktop and mount it as described by @f14tomcat.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 20,984
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       17 Nov 2016 #6

    lx07 said: View Post
    You can't always mount ISO stored on removable drives (only if they are formatted NTFS I think).

    Best to copy it to your desktop and mount it as described by @f14tomcat.
    Can't tell for sure, but when he said "saved" to USB stick, he may have chosen the MCT option to create an install USB thumb. Can't tell....don't know how he downloaded it, what method. Just a guess. That would explain the lack of "Mount" as an option.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    17 Nov 2016 #7

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Can't tell for sure, but when he said "saved" to USB stick, he may have chosen the MCT option to create an install USB thumb. Can't tell....don't know how he downloaded it, what method. Just a guess. That would explain the lack of "Mount" as an option.
    If the mount option does not show TC, I thought by double clicking the ISO would also mount it.....it's been a while since I've tried it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 20,984
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       17 Nov 2016 #8

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    If the mount option does not show TC, I thought by double clicking the ISO would also mount it.....it's been a while since I've tried it.
    The mount option usually disappears if you have 7-Zip, WinRar, or some other program installed that has changed the file association for extension.iso. It's replaced in the context menu with just "Open", which would be 7-Zip or whatever. That can be easily changed in settings for the .iso to be associated with Explorer, then the Mount command comes back. I just tried double-clicking one of mine, and it opened in 7-Zip, as I suspected it would.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    17 Nov 2016 #9

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    The mount option usually disappears if you have 7-Zip, WinRar, or some other program installed that has changed the file association for extension.iso. It's replaced in the context menu with just "Open", which would be 7-Zip or whatever. That can be easily changed in settings for the .iso to be associated with Explorer, then the Mount command comes back. I just tried double-clicking one of mine, and it opened in 7-Zip, as I suspected it would.
    Yes I understand that TC, but I have registered version on WinRar, and I have 7-Zip installed too. My Mount Option still shows on any ISO. But I have Explorer set as the default. Then I tried double clicking on an iso file, and it was mounted without choosing anything. So like you said, depends what a user has setup for the default. You can change the default by clicking on the iso , then click on properties menu, for those that want to check their default setting.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 20,984
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       17 Nov 2016 #10

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Yes I understand that TC, but I have registered version on WinRar, and I have 7-Zip installed too. My Mount Option still shows on any ISO. But I have Explorer set as the default. Then I tried double clicking on an iso file, and it was mounted without choosing anything. So like you said, depends what a user has setup for the default. You can change the default by clicking on the iso , then click on properties menu, for those that want to check their default setting.
    Of course. Because you have it set, as I explained.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
I finally managed to get my laptop running on Windows 10. All was fine, running build 10240 (RTM, Threshold 1). But then the Windows Upgrade assistant informed me that I'm on an outdated version of Windows 10 and that I should update. Apparently...
I just began getting this error yesterday. :cry: What is the likelihood that another issue besides a failing hard drive is causing error? Secondly, I've already purchased a new hard drive as a precaution. What is the fastest/easiest way to...
I'm trying to upgrade my old laptop to windows 10. Its currently running Windows 8.1 pro x64. Resources are no problem, its a core2 duo, 8 GB RAM, discreet ATI video card and plenty of space on 1TB hard drive. Upgrade using windows update...
I couldn't find such tweak.. This is a major issue to me. I need the "Favorites" pane back where i can drop whatever i want. I use that daily! I can't stay on 10 without it. Also, about updates, i saw there are tweaks to stop forced updates but then...
Solved Upgrade fails @ 33% - "Something Happended" in Installation and Upgrade
Trying to upgrade from Win 7 Ultimate. For some reason windows update just says "reserved" so I forced the upgrade with the tool: - Windows 10 Tried the standard upgrade = failed - something happened @ 33% Tried running the ISO = failed...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:31.
Find Us