Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    09 Jun 2015 #1
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 79
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release.161220-1747)

    Which installation method shall i use to evaluate?


    yes, Which installation method shall i use to evaluate?
    I have 2 physical drives, a C:\ drive with my windows 7 and i have a D:\ storage drive.
    I would like to try Win 10 without affecting AT ALL my beloved win 7. Shall i install Win 10 in the D:\ drive?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    09 Jun 2015 #2
    Join Date : May 2015
    Finland, Vantaa
    Posts : 424
    Win 10 pro, creators

    use ISO, install side by side
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    09 Jun 2015 #3
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Posts : 1,618
    17025 Pro

    Use Disk Management to Shrink D: by 120GB and format the resulting partition NTFS. Give it a letter designation, G or anything not being used.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    10 Jun 2015 #4
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    UK
    Posts : 1,071
    W10 pro x64 and W8.1 x86

    Quote Originally Posted by marcosdipaolo View Post
    I would like to try Win 10 without affecting AT ALL my beloved win 7.
    My opinion for what its worth would be to install and then learn to use and trust disk imaging software. Make a FULL image of your drive so that it includes ALL partitions and make sure it is stored on an external disk/flash drive etc. Then you can install 10 any way you want in the full knowledge that you can get back to exactly where you started from if needed.

    To do otherwise is just crazy imo because things often don't work as expected... and then what you gonna do ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    10 Jun 2015 #5
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    New Mexico
    Posts : 1,335
    Windows 10 Pro,

    Use an ISO disk and do a clean install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    10 Jun 2015 #6
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    New Mexico
    Posts : 1,335
    Windows 10 Pro,

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
    My opinion for what its worth would be to install and then learn to use and trust disk imaging software. Make a FULL image of your drive so that it includes ALL partitions and make sure it is stored on an external disk/flash drive etc. Then you can install 10 any way you want in the full knowledge that you can get back to exactly where you started from if needed.

    To do otherwise is just crazy imo because things often don't work as expected... and then what you gonna do ?

    He doesn't need to do any of that, he has two drives.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    10 Jun 2015 #7
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    UK
    Posts : 1,071
    W10 pro x64 and W8.1 x86

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    He doesn't need to do any of that, he has two drives.
    Yes he does say that... as long as they are physically separate and not partitions on one drive, or a plug in drive etc. Just trying to cover all eventualities with imaging software, it really is your get out of jail card.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    10 Jun 2015 #8
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    New Mexico
    Posts : 1,335
    Windows 10 Pro,

    You're absolutely right. Better safe than sorry.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    10 Jun 2015 #9
    Join Date : Dec 2014
    Posts : 37
    Windows 10 PRO

    I use an external drive and just clone W7, it's there if I need it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    09 Aug 2015 #10
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 79
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release.161220-1747)
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
    Yes he does say that... as long as they are physically separate and not partitions on one drive, or a plug in drive etc. Just trying to cover all eventualities with imaging software, it really is your get out of jail card.
    yes, they are physically separate
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
build 10041 To FORCE clean install from ISO (made via Kari's method)
Hi there To FORCE a clean install if you are using the ISO (or USB created from the ISO). 1) download something like GPARTED. 2) delete existing C partition 3) now boot the ISO / USB stick.
Windows Insider
Solved Anyone testing w10 direct upgrade method from 7 Home...?
Anyone testing w10 direct upgrade method from 7 Home premium? Here is what I mean, you have everything you wanted installed on windows 7. Then you chose to upgrade instead of doing a clean install. If so, your complaints and praises please.
Installation and Upgrade
An alternate method of uploading your Signature.
Edit: There is now an option to create an album to store your Signature/Avatar on this forum. Just create an Album that contains your Signature and click once on it to view, then copy the Image URL in the browser address bar. Choose the Signature...
Chillout Room
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:58.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums