Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    03 Nov 2016 #11
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 537
    Windows 10

    If the ENTIRE HDD can be deleted and you want to do a "Clean/Fresh" install of W10, I suggest to Boot from external Media (DVD or USB Disk), then go to the Option of a Command Prompt and using DISKPART for to do the task you want.
    For example : the CLEAN command will erase all information on the HDD. You can close Diskpart by EXIT and go back to the Windows and proceed with new Install.
    You do not need (you should not) create any Partitions for System, Windows will create them automatically as needed.
    You want to create a Data Partition, after Windows is Installed, going to DiskManagment you can make free Space and create a new Partition.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    03 Nov 2016 #12
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,148
    Windows 10 Pro

    I second what Adalwar posted. Install to a completely unallocated hard drive, then after the install shrink the OS partition to make room for a data partition if you want.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    03 Nov 2016 #13
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 66
    Windows 10 Pro 14393 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    @Adalwar The first time I tried installing with Diskpart, it popped up with this error:

    Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume. (I wanted to delete the system partition).
    But ok, I will try installing Windows on unallocated space. If something happens, I'll let you all know.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    03 Nov 2016 #14
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,148
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Hexagon12 View Post
    @Adalwar The first time I tried installing with Diskpart, it popped up with this error:

    Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume. (I wanted to delete the system partition).
    This really, really sounds like you are not actually getting the computer to boot from the Windows 10 installation flash drive or DVD.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hexagon12 View Post
    I created (and downloaded) the ISO with the Media Creation Tool. The image is not corrupted, because I have a test rig and with the flash drive/DVD it succesfully installed Windows 10 without any errors.
    What did you do with the ISO file created with Media Creation Tool?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    03 Nov 2016 #15
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 537
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Hexagon12 View Post
    But ok, I will try installing Windows on unallocated space. If something happens, I'll let you all know.
    Installing in Unallocated space, will go BAD, probably will get 2 OS installed and I do not know what will happen, nobody does such thing.
    You must Boot from Windows DVD/USB Install media. You have to Power Off computer and BOOT from the external Media.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    03 Nov 2016 #16
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,148
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Adalwar View Post
    Installing in Unallocated space, will go BAD, probably will get 2 OS installed and I do not know what will happen, nobody does such thing.
    You must Boot from Windows DVD/USB Install media. You have to Power Off computer and BOOT from the external Media.
    You just told him in a previous post to install to unallocated space! That is the BEST way to install Windows and the way most of us successful Windows 10 users do it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Adalwar View Post
    then go to the Option of a Command Prompt and using DISKPART for to do the task you want.
    For example : the CLEAN command will erase all information on the HDD.

    You do not need (you should not) create any Partitions for System, Windows will create them automatically as needed.
    That is EXACTLY what installing to an unallocated space is!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    03 Nov 2016 #17
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 537
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    You just told him in a previous post to install to unallocated space! That is the BEST way to install Windows and the way most of us successful Windows 10 users do it!
    So far I understood, he was meaning with "unallocated space", the space on the other Partition (Data) that he was able to delete.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    03 Nov 2016 #18
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 66
    Windows 10 Pro 14393 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    @Adalwar I was able to delete both partitions with GParted. I can now freely edit partitions. @NavyLCDR @alphanumeric Tried installing on unallocated space, new error - 0x80070570
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    03 Nov 2016 #19
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 537
    Windows 10

    I do not use the "Brute Force" Technic , specially when it involves Disk Partitioning.
    From my point of view, I think you have to gain access with "DiskPart" from Windows (not from GP or other utilities) to your HDD and delete the Partition of Windows, you began doing it wrong now you have to correct it.
    To get access to that operations you can not boot from HDD, it can not being used, it means you have to boot from Windows Install DVD/USB.
    Restarting PC normally always boot from HDD.
    You need to go to Boot Manager and choose to boot from DVD/USB
    In my Laptop I have a second "Button" that lets me go into BIOS or Boot Manager.

    EDIT: May be you have to Disable "Secure Boot" in BIOS or even put BIOS in "Setup Mode", if you have that options on your BIOS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    03 Nov 2016 #20
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,247
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    This really, really sounds like you are not actually getting the computer to boot from the Windows 10 installation flash drive or DVD.
    Or he selected the wrong drive/volume?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10: Constant BSOD errors, different errors each time. HELP!!!!
Hi my name is Peter I am new to this so please excuse any mistakes in posting this I might make. I have very recently built myself a new pc to game on. Once I put the system together and installed windows 10 almost immediately I got BSOD with a...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Errors persisting in windows 10 even after clean install. Help needed!
I have been having these errors right after the upgrade. Once I did a clean install still having these same errors! I did sfc scan and says there is no problem at all. Can you guys kindly take a look and see if you have a solution or any idea...
General Support
Clean Install Errors - Bad SSD?
Was using computer like any other day and it became unresponsive. Music was still playing normally but nothing would respond. Couldn't even use CTRL+ALT+DEL. So I turned computer off. Restart wanted to do a 'Startup Repair', that seemed unresponsive...
Installation and Upgrade
Windows Update multiple Install errors/Failure (error 0x80070643)
Hi All, I'm wondering if anyone can help. I have upgraded to windows 10 for a few weeks now and over the last couple of days it has stopped installing any windows updates, the error code that pops up is (error 0x80070643) It's also...
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:32.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums