I had a helluva time struggling with getting my computer updated from the original build of Win10 (the 10240 RTM release) to the Anniversary Update (1607), to the point where it just would not happen, no matter what I tried. My computer was running the original release just fine. No crashes. No bizarre behavior (other than typing in Internet Explorer text fields being peculiarly slow in response). But what I was able to do was update my computer to version 1511, O/S build 10586.589. This is the build just prior to the AU 1607. It is installed, and I'm running just fine.
A Microsoft MVP tech had struggled to help me with my inquiries over on the Microsoft community... it was painful. He kept jumping to conclusions and wouldn't hear me out fully. I documented my struggles, and my success to 1511. He's now telling me that I should see the AU 1607 being offered to me when doing a manual check in Windows Update. Well, I don't. And he's of the opinion that if I'm not seeing it, that Windows has determined that my computer may not be compatible.
Now, I'm running version 1511, build 10586.589 just fine. If the Win10 installer determined that my computer wasn't capable of running Win10, it would not have installed and would have informed me upfront, or failed miserably later on with no usable clue as to why. That did not happen.
So my question is this -- Was there ANY kind of hardware requirements change with the AU 1607 that might cause a computer already running Win10 to fail the compatibility test for installing the AU?
I'm guessing not, and that this poor MVP has a misunderstanding. My take is that I won't even get the AU offered until 30 days after my ISO of 1511 was successfully installed, because Microsoft is staggering the updates (for the purposes of spreading the load on their servers). Would folks here agree with that? Or do I have anything to be concerned about?
Incidentally, I'm NOT going to try forcing the AU 1607 to install right now... because I wasted so much time last weekend and the weekends before dealing with these install problems - I'd rather wait until my Win10 O/S decides on its own that "it is time" for the AU update.