Windows 10: Upgrade vs Clean Install

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 16,214
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16241
       28 May 2015 #81

    Winuser said: View Post
    I agree with Jeff. MS is not going to make upgrading to Windows 10 that hard. I would imagine it will work something like this. If doing a upgrade from your qualifying OS Windows 10 will install and be activated. If done right you should keep all your installed programs. If doing a clean install Windows 10 will search for a valid key and install and be activated. If a key is not found you will get a screen where you will be able to install your valid key. If you don't have a valid key to install you might get to run it just long enough to try it before it stops booting. This is not from MS, This is how I think it will work.
    Sounds good to me, Winuser. Not complicated at all.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 4,532
    Win 10 Pro x64
       28 May 2015 #82

    Winuser said: View Post
    So far with Windows 10 I've been very lucky doing the upgrade option. The only time anything messed up and I had to start over was when I was playing around with system restore and I lost my start menu and search. I might bite the bullet and do a clean install. Luckily I still have time to decide.

    Forgot to add. What ever direction I go a Macrium Reflect image will be the first thing I do.

    Yup. Before you mess around with a clean installed OS, install your progs, set it up, and image it. I do the exact same thing. I only keep 2 versions of images for each of my PCs. One fully set up clean image and one current version which gets replaced at least every 3 months or so. And oh, +1 for Macrium.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    29 May 2015 #83

    didnt noted any difference between upgrade (10074-> 10122 -> 10125) vs clean install (10125) - experience based roughly on 15hours usage on later and 4-5days on upgrade way
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 92
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       29 May 2015 #84

    Winuser said: View Post
    I agree with Jeff. MS is not going to make upgrading to Windows 10 that hard. I would imagine it will work something like this. If doing a upgrade from your qualifying OS Windows 10 will install and be activated. If done right you should keep all your installed programs. If doing a clean install Windows 10 will search for a valid key and install and be activated. If a key is not found you will get a screen where you will be able to install your valid key. If you don't have a valid key to install you might get to run it just long enough to try it before it stops booting. This is not from MS, This is how I think it will work.
    I know but if you are doing a clean install on bare metal how is MS going to find the Key. I don't believe MS will make it hard either as they are betting their future on Windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    29 May 2015 #85

    Gary said: View Post
    I know but if you are doing a clean install on bare metal how is MS going to find the Key. I don't believe MS will make it hard either as they are betting their future on Windows 10.
    If your doing a clean install just enter they Windows 10 product code that came with the install media your using.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    29 May 2015 #86

    deployment choices for W10 (been doing the certificates already, lol)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deployment-choices.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	20145
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 92
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       29 May 2015 #87

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    If your doing a clean install just enter they Windows 10 product code that came with the install media your using.
    Well that is easy , thanks for the info.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 24
    Windows 10 / Windows 10 Mobile
       30 May 2015 #88

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    If your doing a clean install just enter they Windows 10 product code that came with the install media your using.
    Where do you enter the key? I wasnt asked for a key when I installed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 16,214
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16241
       30 May 2015 #89

    mccririck said: View Post
    Where do you enter the key? I wasnt asked for a key when I installed.
    Alpha was talking about when Windows 10 RTMs; that's when we'll have to enter our product/license keys. During the beta, we don't have to do that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 24
    Windows 10 / Windows 10 Mobile
       30 May 2015 #90

    Is there a newer iso than build 10074?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Related Threads
I have a 2006-era Compaq PC with an AMD 64 X2 4400+ CPU (Socket 939), and it runs Windows 7 Home Premium x64 perfectly. It can even run Windows 8 x64. However, it cannot do the in-place Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 Technical Preview 64-bit...
As the topic said :chuckle:
How to clean install in Installation and Upgrade
Hello Ladies and Gents, I just had a question. As a Windows 10 Insider, when we receive the free upgrade to the RTM, how then do I do a clean install? I thought we'd need to burn the iso to a DVD to do that. Thank you.
Hello, I am not able to use any public build after 9879. If I upgrade it installs reboots then install drivers reboots try's to boot then reverts. If I do a clean install it will install and reboot then asks for users preferences or slandered. ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:38.
Find Us