Windows 10: Win 10 repair install
Win 10 repair install
Since upgrading from Win 7/64 to win 10/64 am getting startup issues such as "page faults". Device manager is fine, hdd is fine, ram is fine, however sfc shows rasman.dll errors. Have tried re-registering the file without success.
So I was wondering how does one do a repair install if (as most of us) have installed win 10 from the free Win 10 download - ie one has no media from which to run the repair install?
Is there a download site for win 10?
Note in our case we have the original Win 7/64 disk and coa - we don;t have uefi bios.
Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2V/i3: avira av, office 2007
I do it via the Media Creation Tool, just choose 'upgrade this PC'.
Last edited by Kbird; 31 Aug 2016 at 17:01.
My notes and observations on in-place upgrade repair installs:
Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:
From an admin command prompt
[Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
chkdsk C: /F
Your PC will need to restart.
Make sure the result is clear or fixed.
Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.
For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed.
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
- all/most associations will be unchanged
- all your programs will be left installed
- you will lose any custom fonts
- you will lose any customised system icons
- you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
- you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
- Windows.old will be created
- system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
- you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
- inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
- if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.
Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.
Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
- preserve your system (and your sanity)
- back up your data
- restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time
Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.
My pc is :C440 Touch All-in-One (Lenovo)
Operating system : Windows 10
I can't run my PC, every time i try to run it shows me blue screen wrote on it
" Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC
I have two Windows 10 installations on my PC. Primary and temp.
The primary installation cannot boot with error "The boot configuration data file is missing some required information ".
This happened aftter I wiped out another third disk...
Its a friend's machine that might benefit from a repair install.
I have a cd with the techbench iso download burned via Imageburn software.
I installed Win10 v2 with this cd successfully.
The friend used the media center download routine to...
I have used Windows 7 repair install on a couple of systems with less than satisfactory results. I currently have an issue with Windows 10 "Task Scheduler" and am considering a repair install. Anyone have any experience with Windows 10 on this issue?
when i try repair install when it says setting things up after a few mins it crashes
here is the details how can i fix it as i want too keep my games and things
Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error