Windows 10: Partition layout Solved

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
  1.    02 Sep 2016 #71

    As of today yes ....but as time goes by you will install programs and updates etc etc which will all be in the latest image so you don't need to reinstall from Day One again , unless really needed. It is also way faster to Re-Image a clean install with MR , than to install clean , takes 12-15 mins to run a re-image for me..... , not a day long process
    I don't do major Windows Updates and stuff like that without doing a MR backup 1st , it worth the 15-20 mins it takes for peace of mind knowing, if there is a snafu by me or M$ i can just re-image and i'm back up and running asap.

    Generally I use a USB Key for MR but a CDRW will do , as it should be updated when MR is updated every few months too.

    KB
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    03 Sep 2016 #72

    Kbird said: View Post
    Do a Windows Key +R and type winver <enter> you will get a DBX showing you the Win10 version

    KB
    It shows version 1607 ( OS build 14393.0 )
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    03 Sep 2016 #73

    So far, in Macrium Reflect, did "image this disk" and saved the image to my external drive, I'll also copy it later to my NAS.
    The size of the image is 10GB.
    I also created a system restore point in Windows ( had to configure security first on all the drives ).
    Then installed updates, and programs, and did another disk image.
    I saved both of them on my external drive, in a folder called Macrium Reflect Back ups.
    However, i did notice that the XML files get saved in "my documents" in a folder called Reflect, so i moved that folder to my external drive too.
    I think this is it, i'm happy with how the PC is performing, and i want to back it up every now and then.

    Thank you very much
    Last edited by m3mpower; 03 Sep 2016 at 08:24.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    03 Sep 2016 #74

    m3mpower said: View Post
    It shows version 1607 ( OS build 14393.0 )
    There a few update to get then as you are on AU 0 and it is now version 105

    m3mpower said: View Post
    So far, in Macrium Reflect, did "image this disk" and saved the image to my external drive, I'll also copy it later to my NAS.
    The size of the image is 10GB.
    I also created a system restore point in Windows ( had to configure security first on all the drives ).
    Then installed updates, and programs, and did another disk image.
    I saved both of them on my external drive, in a folder called Macrium Reflect Back ups.
    However, i did notice that the XML files get saved in "my documents" in a folder called Reflect, so i moved that folder to my external drive too.
    I think this is it, i'm happy with how the PC is performing, and i want to back it up every now and then.

    Thank you very much
    Check that Image as 10GB is small even for a Fresh install , make sure every partition on the SSD was selected , the size is usually about 2/3 of the total of whatever the "Used size" for C:\ is in My PC. Eg my 43GB Surface3 Disk I just Imaged this morning had an image of 33GB. All 4 partitons should be selected , ie the Whole Disk so you can replicate the whole Drive if needed including the 3 extra partition Win10 needs. Later if needed for space reason you could use the Image Windows Files Option instead though that maybe the whole disk too depending on an individual system.

    Not sure why you had to set security to enable system restore ....that's a new for me...

    Yes if you don't change the Save location for the XML files it saves them to My Docs , if you moved ( not copied) that folder you will have broken the "Link" though for schedules to work and will have to recreate the XML for the backup in the desire locale.

    Good to hear all is going well

    KB
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    03 Sep 2016 #75

    My used space on the C drive with fresh install of W10 is 23GB, so the size of image ( 10gb) looks about right, I think...

    For XML files, I copied them from my documents to external, if the link got broken then I'll make a new back up but obviously can't do it for the fresh install since it is too late now, I have some programs installed...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    03 Sep 2016 #76

    m3mpower said: View Post
    My used space on the C drive with fresh install of W10 is 23GB, so the size of image ( 10gb) looks about right, I think...

    For XML files, I copied them from my documents to external, if the link got broken then I'll make a new back up but obviously can't do it for the fresh install since it is too late now, I have some programs installed...
    Did you change the default compression in MR ? 10GB seems small even for a 23GB Used size that is less than 45% of the original size my images sizes are about 75% of the Used space. There maybe nothing wrong , just want to be sure , you could also boot off the MR disk and make sure your Computer can "see" the backups on the External and verify them.

    No, if you copied them to the external , all you did was back them up , they are still in My Docs too, so should be schedulable still ....

    KB
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    04 Sep 2016 #77

    Kbird said: View Post
    Did you change the default compression in MR ? 10GB seems small even for a 23GB Used size that is less than 45% of the original size my images sizes are about 75% of the Used space. There maybe nothing wrong , just want to be sure , you could also boot off the MR disk and make sure your Computer can "see" the backups on the External and verify them.

    No, if you copied them to the external , all you did was back them up , they are still in My Docs too, so should be schedulable still ....

    KB
    I did not change the default compression in MR, i did not modify anything.
    Where do i check the compression in MR ?
    How do i verify the image? boot off MR and recover from the image ? this means reinstalling W10 ?

    For XML, i copied them to external but then deleted them from my Documents
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    04 Sep 2016 #78

    Ok , just seems small for a complete back of Win 10. Compression is one of the advanced Options during the backup setup , but they can all be changed in the Preferences to be the Default. It is usually set on Medium .

    Verify is also an advanced Option , which I set to on so MR checks the image when it is made. You can also check it manually in Win10 by choosing the Restore tab ,selecting a Backup and selecting Verify Image on the right. The exact same thing can be done with the Boot disk BTW. You do not need to do a restore to Verify the Image , but booting off the MR Disk and verifying the Image will prove both that the disk works as it should and that Your External Drv is seen in the MR Boot environment ,so if you do need it it is known to work. You can also Mount the Images in MR and copy back lost files etc without doing a Full Restore.

    You may need to Rebuild the Backup XML if you move them but perhaps not in this case since you have not setup a Schedule yet right? If you move them after making a Schedule MR can't find the XML, so the Sch.Backup will fail with an Error. You may need to use the Green + sign on the Backup Definitions Tab to add them back to the list , then they can be scheduled. BTW the XML is just a text file telling MR what to do and where , it is not the backup image itself.

    KB
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    04 Sep 2016 #79

    Hi Kbird

    Yes you are right, compression is set to Medium ( recommended ), should i set it to None?
    What about the second option? should i leave it as it is or set it to exact same partitions¿
    See the photo attached

    For XML files, i haven't scheduled any back ups yet

    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MR.PNG  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    04 Sep 2016 #80

    Nope those are the correct Default Options ...all good

    last thing to Check would be to make sure you backed up All 4 partitions AKA the Whole Drive , Clicking on the Image on the Restore TAB should let you see what partitions were backed up.

    IF all OK then , it is just a Win10 Lite install actually I'm not sure I have seen a 23GB Clean install, either now I think about it.... but been a while since I did a total Clean install since I use MR mostly if there is an issue.

    KB
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Related Threads
I have a question about the partition layout on my system which originally came with Windows 8, was upgraded to 8.1, now upgraded to 10. I wanted to delete the OEM Recovery partition since it is useless now and reuse the space for C: partition;...
So I'm having a lot of trouble doing my Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade (long story, other threads here), and then I realized that if I screwed up, I could damage my Windows partition :mad:, which also contains like 100+ GB of installed programs (but no...
Hello everyone, This is my very first post to this forum, so please don't bite my head off if my question has been answered already or if it's in the wrong section. :o So, I've had this 1Tb HDD lying around unused, so I had the bright idea of...
I tried one again to use Macrium to backup only C:, clean install then restore only C:. Once again it did more that I asked it to and removed the 16MB partition created by the clean install. After clean install I had this, 4 partitions on Disk...
Keyboard layout in General Support
Hello, I have Windows 10 with English interface language and German keyboard layout (ENG-DE). Periodically the ENG-US keyboard is added (The language bar appears again), even if the US layout it is not listed in the language options (???) At this...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:13.
Find Us