Re-upgrading from Windows 7 pro 64bit to Windows 10 pro 64bit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 38
    Windows 10 pro 64 bit
       #1

    Re-upgrading from Windows 7 pro 64bit to Windows 10 pro 64bit


    I had a activated version of Windows 7 pro 64 bit which got automatically approved for upgrade to Windows 10 pro 64 bit some months ago.

    The upgrade to Windows 10 took place before the free upgrade deadline.

    I had a boot issue with Windows 10 after I merged some unused partitions on the hard disk with the C: drive.
    I re-installed Windows 7 pro 64 bit last week, after the free Windows 10 free upgrade deadline of 29th July 2016.

    My question is, can I now still do a free upgrade to Windows 10 pro 64 bit version using a disk?

    If this is possible, what is the process for upgrading using the disk?
    I do not wish to do a clean install because I would then have to reinstall all of the data and other software.

    Thank you
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #2

    Hi.
    You can re-upgrade your system, as long as it was activated.

    Just don't enter a key, and select I'm reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC.

    Re-upgrading from Windows 7 pro 64bit to Windows 10 pro 64bit-reinstall-w10.png

    Use 7-Zip to mount the ISO, and run setup.exe to begin the upgrade.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 38
    Windows 10 pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Thank you Simrick
    Do I just put the disk in, shut down and restart (after resetting boot order) or insert the disk and upgrade from Windows 7?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #4

    ekendraed said:
    Thank you Simrick
    Do I just put the disk in, shut down and restart (after resetting boot order) or insert the disk and upgrade from Windows 7?
    Use 7-Zip to mount the ISO, and run setup.exe to begin the upgrade, all while you are in your W7 operating system.
    See the video in this tutorial, fast forward to about 21:30. It will show you how to mount the ISO using 7-zip, and run the upgrade that way.
    Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

    .
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 38
    Windows 10 pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Thank you. Greatly appreciated
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #6

    ekendraed said:
    Thank you. Greatly appreciated
    Quite welcome. :)
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 38
    Windows 10 pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #7

    NVidia SET PHYsX Configuration


    Successfully upgraded to WIN10 Pro 64bit.

    Unfortunately, I reverted back to W7 pro as I was unable to control BRIGHTNESS and CONTRAST on both the HP 8540w workstation and the external ACER monitor. On the HP8540w the brightness issue was not that severe but contrast was poor. The contrast was so poor that I found it even difficult to read VERIFY colour codes.

    On the ACER I attempted to manually adjust the B & C but that had absolutely no effect. I did not try to do this on the HP8540w though I am not sure if that would have worked either. The brightness on the ACER monitor was like staring into a bright vehicle headlight.

    The ACER is connected to the laptop via a VGA socket and not the DisplayPort socket. Would that be a reason why I could not adjust B & C on the ACER monitor through the Nvidia Control Panel?

    I tried to update the drivers for Nvidia Quadro FX 880M but I was informed that the drivers were up to date versions. I downloaded fresh Nvidia Quadro FX 880M for W10 64bit but it would not install.

    Eventually I reverted to WIN7 till I was able to find a solution.

    Can anyone PLEASE suggest a solution to my problem? Thank you

    Through the SET PhysX Configuration in Nvidia Quadro FX 880M, I have set it to auto mode and now I am able to adjust the DESKTOP colour settings. I will re-upgrade to Win10 after I receive a feedback from this forum.

    Hopefully I will have control over both monitors so that the adjustments will be pleasing to my eye (I am blind in the left eye since 2006)
    Last edited by ekendraed; 29 Aug 2016 at 09:27. Reason: Further observations
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #8

    ekendraed said:
    Successfully upgraded to WIN10 Pro 64bit.
    Great news! :)

    ekendraed said:
    Unfortunately, I reverted back to W7 pro as I was unable to control BRIGHTNESS and CONTRAST on both the HP 8540w workstation and the external ACER monitor. On the HP8540w the brightness issue was not that severe but contrast was poor. The contrast was so poor that I found it even difficult to read VERIFY colour codes.

    On the ACER I attempted to manually adjust the B & C but that had absolutely no effect. I did not try to do this on the HP8540w though I am not sure if that would have worked either. The brightness on the ACER monitor was like staring into a bright vehicle headlight.

    The ACER is connected to the laptop via a VGA socket and not the DisplayPort socket. Would that be a reason why I could not adjust B & C on the ACER monitor through the Nvidia Control Panel?

    I tried to update the drivers for Nvidia Quadro FX 880M but I was informed that the drivers were up to date versions. I downloaded fresh Nvidia Quadro FX 880M for W10 64bit but it would not install.

    Eventually I reverted to WIN7 till I was able to find a solution.

    Can anyone PLEASE suggest a solution to my problem? Thank you
    I'm not very good with that. But, @Cliff S and/or @Edwin may be able to help.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 38
    Windows 10 pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Thank you responding simrick. Hope Cliff or Edwin will read and respond.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #10

    ekendraed said:
    Thank you responding simrick. Hope Cliff or Edwin will read and respond.
    Yes, they should, as I "tagged" them.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums