Windows 10: Clean install Win10 with Update?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    15 May 2015 #1

    Clean install Win10 with Update?


    I'm one of those people who generally does a clean install with every new major Windows release. The reason for this is general housekeeping: removing old software no longer needed, clearing out drivers and other files no longer used, etc. I'm curious how this sort of install will work with Windows 10 since they will be utilizing the Windows Update system. Will we be able to do a clean install using the update? Will we have to install the update, and then do a restore (wasting time)? Or will we be forced to pay for a new copy to do a clean install?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    15 May 2015 #2

    Welcome to TenForums thunderclap. Yes it has been promised that clean install will be allowed with trading in a legal window key . Hang with this Forum and you will be in the know when it happens.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    21 May 2015 #3

    Sweet, this is what I'm looking for too. I'll watch this thread.

    subscribed
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 713
    Windows 10 Build 14267
       21 May 2015 #4

    I think that thunderclap question is if during the continuous Windows process of improvement there will be a way to perform a clean install with all the updates till that time.

    I really don't have idea!

      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    26 May 2015 #5

    I'm going to have to figure out how best to do this. I want to get a new, larger, SSD and would like to do clean install on it without having to clone the current drive first. I really hope MS makes this as simple as: enter your License Number, download to USB, install, and that's it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    26 May 2015 #6

    There are so many details yet to be reveled on the ins and outs of how this will work. They could auto detect the key, or ask you for it. For a factory Windows 7 OEM install they may want the product code on the COA sticker, its a unique code to that PC. The factory OEM key isn't, its a common key across PC's from that manufacturer. What if you have Media Center installed? That's its own key.

    ISO's will become available at some point, even if Microsoft doesn't provide a link for consumers. They will be up on MSDN, and somebody always leaks those. There will be Retail DVD's too, so some body will make an ISO of one of those and upload it somewhere. I really hope Microsoft does a Media Creation Tool download for Windows 10 like they have for Windows 8 now. No entering product codes, just select the version you want and click next.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    27 May 2015 #7

    One thing I really wish Microsoft would learn from Apple is the number of versions released. Home, Pro, Enterprise, Server, all with Full and Upgrade packages, and 32-bit and 64-bit. There should be 2 or 3 versions max: Windows 10, Windows 10 Enterprise, Windows 10 Server, and all 64-bit. That's it. It would prevent confusion for non-tech people, make it more appealing for those that are considering upgrading, and force people to a 64-bit architecture.

    Will there be some incompatibility? Probably, but over the next couple years that incompatibility will go away as people upgrade their other outdated software.

    Just my opinion, of course.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    27 May 2015 #8

    thunderclap said: View Post
    One thing I really wish Microsoft would learn from Apple is the number of versions released. Home, Pro, Enterprise, Server, all with Full and Upgrade packages, and 32-bit and 64-bit. There should be 2 or 3 versions max: Windows 10, Windows 10 Enterprise, Windows 10 Server, and all 64-bit. That's it. It would prevent confusion for non-tech people, make it more appealing for those that are considering upgrading, and force people to a 64-bit architecture.

    Will there be some incompatibility? Probably, but over the next couple years that incompatibility will go away as people upgrade their other outdated software.

    Just my opinion, of course.
    That sounds good but you left out devices with ARM processors and IoT devices. There is a lot more than just processors that run the x86 and AMD64 instruction sets. I wouldn't mind seeing the Home Pro thing go away and be replaced with one version, say Windows 10 Consumer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    27 May 2015 #9

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    That sounds good but you left out devices with ARM processors and IoT devices. There is a lot more than just processors that run the x86 and AMD64 instruction sets. I wouldn't mind seeing the Home Pro thing go away and be replaced with one version, say Windows 10 Consumer.
    That's valid, but those ARM versions for tablet and phone are auto pushed by MS or the carrier. It's not like you can walk into a store and buy a copy. That's what I was referring to: copies that a consumer can install themselves, be it a desktop or laptop.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    27 May 2015 #10

    thunderclap said: View Post
    That's valid, but those ARM versions for tablet and phone are auto pushed by MS or the carrier. It's not like you can walk into a store and buy a copy. That's what I was referring to: copies that a consumer can install themselves, be it a desktop or laptop.
    Ok, I see what your saying. Just for the record though, I have to manually configure an SD card with Windows 10 for IoT for my Pi. It's not pushed to the device by anyone. I have to install it myself. It's a free download.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi Guys A few questions.... Could someone please clarify, Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install? If so how/where? If not when performing a clean install, will skipping the product key prompt, then activating once...
Hello, Like the title says, will it be possible? If yes, it makes sense. If no, how users who upgrade from 8.1 supposed to clean install Win10 down the line in the future? Will we (win 8.1, 8 and 7 owners) be given new activation codes? ...
I installed Build 10240 on a brand new SSD drive with no problems. However, Windows rejects the the activation code I found on another post in this forum: How to activate the latest Windows 10 build - Microsoft Community That post says...
Hi All, Sorry about the crazy title, I always have issues with coming up with a good headline for these threads. I want to do a clean install on my desktop with the latest Win10 Dev Preview, but I don't want to do this if I'm not going to get...
install size Update vs Clean in Installation and Upgrade
Running on a 128GB SSD card, the Windows directory is around 50 GB's. Not much room left for anything else. Windows 8 was significantly less. After every update I delete the $Windows~BT directory and the Windows.old directory to free up about...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09.
Find Us