MBR or GPT

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. debgram's Avatar
    Posts : 270
    windows 10 home
       #1

    MBR or GPT


    Well I have to do my windows 10 over the right way, I thought I installed a clean install but apparently I didn't so I have instructions how to do it the right way. My question is back when I was having other issues with 10 it was mentioned about using GPT instead of the MBR. Now which is better and if it's the GPT how do I go about making the switch? I assume when I'm doing the clean install but how? I always had the MBR. Thanks
      My Computer

  2. swarfega's Avatar
    Posts : 7,086
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #2

    Generally for modern PCs you want GPT and if you have drives over 2gb you need to use that anyway.

    Main benefits of GPT over MBR are partition size, number of partitions, and resilience.
      My Computers

  3. debgram's Avatar
    Posts : 270
    windows 10 home
    Thread Starter
       #3

    So how do I go about setting it up as GPT?


    swarfega said:
    Generally for modern PCs you want GPT and if you have drives over 2gb you need to use that anyway.

    Main benefits of GPT over MBR are partition size, number of partitions, and resilience.
      My Computer

  4. Plankton's Avatar
    Posts : 2,078
    Windows 10 Pro
       #4

    In windows 10 it's already switched to GPT.

    To verify: right click your C drive, select properties, in the new window select the hardware tab, in the list of drives find your HDD, highlight and select properties, in the new window select volumes, click populate, in the new window look for partition style. It should show you: GUID Partition Table (GPT).


    MBR or GPT-gpt-hdd.png
      My Computer

  5. debgram's Avatar
    Posts : 270
    windows 10 home
    Thread Starter
       #5

    no mine is MBR. Maybe since I didn't get the install right. MBR or GPT-screen-shot-08-09-16-02.52-pm.png


    Plankton said:
    In windows 10 it's already switched to GPT.

    To verify: right click your C drive, select properties, in the new window select the hardware tab, in the list of drives find your HDD, highlight and select properties, in the new window select volumes, click populate, in the new window look for partition style. It should show you: GUID Partition Table (GPT).


    MBR or GPT-gpt-hdd.png
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 43
    Windows 10
       #6

    I can't remember if it was automatic or it gave a msg suggesting I should change it to GPT. Certainly don't recall cancelling out of the install to research it, just did as recommended.

    I've have noticed though after doing several clean installs it says my GPT partitions are not in the recommended order, but it allows the install. Don't know whether that affects anything.
      My Computer

  7. DeaconFrost's Avatar
    Posts : 1,363
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #7

    Anytime I do a clean install, I configure my drives using DiskPart at the first screen after booting from the install media. You hit Shift+F10 to bring up a command prompt.

    DiskPart Command-Line Options
      My Computer

  8. debgram's Avatar
    Posts : 270
    windows 10 home
    Thread Starter
       #8

    ok the instructions I got before was this diskpart, select disk 0, clean, exit, exit

    Now that would be the commands for using the mbr right? So would I after the clean select convert gpt?

    DeaconFrost said:
    Anytime I do a clean install, I configure my drives using DiskPart at the first screen after booting from the install media. You hit Shift+F10 to bring up a command prompt.

    DiskPart Command-Line Options
      My Computer

  9. topgundcp's Avatar
    Posts : 2,766
    MintMate19x64 Win10Prox64
       #9

    ok the instructions I got before was this diskpart, select disk 0, clean, exit, exit

    Now that would be the commands for using the mbr right? So would I after the clean select convert gpt?
    What you did here is correct. Whether you want to install Windows with GPT or MBR, you should leave the partition unallocated so that Windows installation will create all necessary partitions.

    There are 2 things you need to know if you want to install Windows using GPT partition scheme:
    1. Set your BIOS for UEFI. Some BIOS will have an option such as UEFI or MBR, some will have option as CSM. With CSM disabled, you are using UEFI, with CSM enabled, you are using MBR.
    2. When booting Windows installation, There are 2 options to select from DVD/USB installation disk:
      One prefixed with UEFI-USB and the other is just plain USB. Same as for DVD
      MBR or GPT-boot-menu.jpg
    3. Once the installation USB/DVD is booted. Based on what you select from the boot menu, windows will determine what type of installation you want to install. Click Customize, select the unallocated partition, click next to let Windows installation creates all needed partitions (Do not format) and set the Partition type correctly.
      Continue with the installation.
      My Computer

  10. Slartybart's Avatar
    Posts : 3,502
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       #10

    debgram said:
    Well I have to do my windows 10 over the right way, I thought I installed a clean install but apparently I didn't so I have instructions how to do it the right way. My question is back when I was having other issues with 10 it was mentioned about using GPT instead of the MBR. Now which is better and if it's the GPT how do I go about making the switch? I assume when I'm doing the clean install but how? I always had the MBR. Thanks
    I've tried initializing the drive as GPT, but the install converts it to MBR because my firmware is Legacy BIOS

    You can only clean install Windows on a GPT disk if your firmware is UEFI (run msinfo32 to tell)

    You can clean only install Windows on a UEFI system if the install media is a DVD or if the flash drive is formatted FAT32.

    Deacon is right though, using dskpart clean before the install (Shift+F10 at the first install screen) makes sure that Windows does what it should do - create the proper disk schema for your machine

    See: Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums