Windows 10: AHCI installation every time on startup?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.    03 Aug 2016 #1

    AHCI installation every time on startup?


    While running Win7 (before upgrading) I was using IDE for disks and manually switched to AHCI and installed it in Windows, but now there is an extra loading screen on every bootup that takes 15-20 secs with "AHCI is installed" at the end, is this extra loading process normal or is it installing itself every time? Sorry if it seems obvious, this is my first time using AHCI.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    03 Aug 2016 #2

    This extra screen is not something usual.

    Check device manager, if you have proper AHCI drivers installed, an also what is running at startup (task manager is good for first look)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016_08_03_22_09_361.png   2016_08_03_22_10_102.png  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    03 Aug 2016 #3

    Are you referring to the POST screen? When you first power on, before Windows even starts loading? If so, that's a function of your BIOS and there is nothing that can be done to fix that (other than turning off AHCI or getting a new motherboard).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    03 Aug 2016 #4

    not normal if it is installing the AHCI Driver every time you boot , are you still in win 7 or Upgraded to Win 10?

    Here are Two Tutorials that may help you figure out what is wrong.

    AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista - Windows 7 Help Forums

    AHCI - Enable in Windows 8 and Windows 10 after Installation - Windows 10 Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    04 Aug 2016 #5

    AndreTen said: View Post
    This extra screen is not something usual.

    Check device manager, if you have proper AHCI drivers installed, an also what is running at startup (task manager is good for first look)
    Well it seems to be installed, the only thing unusual is a strange drive name in the drive list and this mysterious "recovery" partition that is empty.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled2.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	94044

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled3.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	94046

    Mystere said: View Post
    Are you referring to the POST screen? When you first power on, before Windows even starts loading? If so, that's a function of your BIOS and there is nothing that can be done to fix that (other than turning off AHCI or getting a new motherboard).
    It's an extra screen in the post stage (before windows) that specifically talks about AHCI, normal POST screen is still there.

    Kbird said: View Post
    not normal if it is installing the AHCI Driver every time you boot , are you still in win 7 or Upgraded to Win 10?

    Here are Two Tutorials that may help you figure out what is wrong.

    AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista - Windows 7 Help Forums

    AHCI - Enable in Windows 8 and Windows 10 after Installation - Windows 10 Forums
    I switched it in win7 before upgrading to 10 so I followed the 1st guide but sadly it doesn't mention anything about loading/installation screens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled1.png  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    04 Aug 2016 #6

    hatemf23 said: View Post
    It's an extra screen in the post stage (before windows) that specifically talks about AHCI, normal POST screen is still there.
    That's what I thought. Many older motherboards have this because AHCI was a BIOS extension. Newer UEFI motherboards have AHCI built-in to the firmware, so you don't see something like that.

    As I said above, it's not something you can control short of turning off AHCI or getting a new motherboard.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    04 Aug 2016 #7

    Mystere said: View Post
    That's what I thought. Many older motherboards have this because AHCI was a BIOS extension. Newer UEFI motherboards have AHCI built-in to the firmware, so you don't see something like that.

    As I said above, it's not something you can control short of turning off AHCI or getting a new motherboard.
    Mystere is correct I believe , I get the same thing for my Raid Controller , even on my new X99 system. It is the Bios setting up the AHCI Bios Driver (extension), on my x99 system with Raid0, that happens even before it Posts.

    The 450mb Recovery partition is normal in windows 10 , it should contain the Win10 recovery Environment and a File called Wim.re , which you will probably need a program like Minitool Partition Wizard 9 to see , with it's "explore" Drive (partition) Option as the Recovery files are usually hidden and or Protected by Windows 10 .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    04 Aug 2016 #8

    Mystere said: View Post
    That's what I thought. Many older motherboards have this because AHCI was a BIOS extension. Newer UEFI motherboards have AHCI built-in to the firmware, so you don't see something like that.

    As I said above, it's not something you can control short of turning off AHCI or getting a new motherboard.
    Thanks.

    Kbird said: View Post
    The 450mb Recovery partition is normal in windows 10 , it should contain the Win10 recovery Environment and a File called Wim.re , which you will probably need a program like Minitool Partition Wizard 9 to see , with it's "explore" Drive (partition) Option as the Recovery files are usually hidden and or Protected by Windows 10 .


    Also Thanks, so its normal for this part to show as 'empty'?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9.    04 Aug 2016 #9

    Hatemf23, it would be good to specify your motherboard anyway. Because in the last 10 years or so, PCs don't need more than few seconds to go through the BIOS and 20 sec for this screen seems a bit too much for me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10.    04 Aug 2016 #10

    Its a EX58-UD3R which is kind of old, so it makes sense. also 20 secs might be a bit too much I never measured it but its somewhere around 10-15 secs, which is not a big deal as long as the BIOS is working as its supposed to.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Hello, Our computers are running Windows 10 with Server domain, but we have a problem. Each first login takes long time to login and some time it gets stuck on the welcome screen when too many teachers logged on the machine. I had contacted an...
I have several programs / shortcuts in my startup folder. After I log on, it seems like anything in the startup folder is loaded one at a time (program 1 launches, program 2 doesn't launch until program 1 is opened, etc.). I have most of the same...
Hi guys, wondering if anyone else is having this issue and need help fixing it. I just recently installed the update (10586.164), and now after I do a cold boot "Fast Startup enabled" it will show the date and time "from the the I shut the PC...
Dual boot startup takes long time in Performance & Maintenance
Started with a dual boot Windows 7 pro / XP HP Elite 8300. Upgraded Windows 7 to 10 and now it seems to take forever for the boot menu to show up. I can hit restart, it shuts down then just sits there doing nothing for several minutes. No hard drive...
Crashing every time after startup in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hello Tenforums. Every time I start my computer its crashes 10 minutes afterwards, and it also did it back when i was using windows 7. I have uploaded my debug zip file to this thread. 30608 - Morten Abrahamsen
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:10.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums