AHCI installation every time on startup?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. AndreTen's Avatar
    Posts : 23,259
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       #11

    hatemf23 said:
    Its a EX58-UD3R which is kind of old, so it makes sense. also 20 secs might be a bit too much I never measured it but its somewhere around 10-15 secs, which is not a big deal as long as the BIOS is working as its supposed to.
    This is capable motherboard and such behavior is a no-go!
    Make sure that your drives are connected to Intel SATA ports (color is described in manual) and install drivers for Intel Rapid storage. No need for Gigabyte drivers unless you are running out of Intel SATA ports.

    Just to mention, if you'll use Intel SATA ports you can disable extra settings in BIOS and everything will work fine (even use Windows drivers). Check manuals, if you won't be able to set up properly, we can do that for you :)
      My Computers

  2. Kbird's Avatar
    Posts : 2,196
    Win10 202H
       #12

    hatemf23 said:
    Its a EX58-UD3R which is kind of old, so it makes sense. also 20 secs might be a bit too much I never measured it but its somewhere around 10-15 secs, which is not a big deal as long as the BIOS is working as its supposed to.
    I have the Gigabyte X58a-UD3R as well and this is normal , especially if Fastboot is Off , personally I leave it off to make sure the Bios finds everything it should.

    Even on my new X99A II MB it takes 15sec from button push to the Post Beep on a Cold boot as it is Training Memory, from there it then loads the Intel Raid Bios and then Posts , so probably another 10-15 secs. It is not a laptop :) , though many complain about slow booting on X99 Chipset Boards.

    KB
      My Computers

  3. Kbird's Avatar
    Posts : 2,196
    Win10 202H
       #13

    hatemf23 said:
    Thanks.

    [FONT=&amp]

    Also Thanks, so its normal for this part to show as 'empty'?
    Empty in What ? how are you looking ? it is a hidden partition and access is blocked usually , it why I normally use Minitool Partition Wizard .... RC on the partition and choose Explore

    I have had issue on my UD3R too getting the Recovery files on the Recovery Drive , if they aren't there Win10 usually puts them on C:\ Drive in a Folder called Recovery instead.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 43
    Win-10 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #14

    AndreTen said:
    This is capable motherboard and such behavior is a no-go!
    Make sure that your drives are connected to Intel SATA ports (color is described in manual) and install drivers for Intel Rapid storage. No need for Gigabyte drivers unless you are running out of Intel SATA ports.

    Just to mention, if you'll use Intel SATA ports you can disable extra settings in BIOS and everything will work fine (even use Windows drivers). Check manuals, if you won't be able to set up properly, we can do that for you :)
    Good point on the Rapid storage! actually this is what made me realize I wasn't running AHCI when I couldn't install it. I will give it a try then get back to you.

    Kbird said:
    Empty in What ? how are you looking ? it is a hidden partition and access is blocked usually , it why I normally use Minitool Partition Wizard .... RC on the partition and choose Explore
    I was referring to my 1st reply screenshot (450 free space) but Mini partition says otherwise so I guess I will have to leave it be since I imagine its not worth it to try to move whatever is in it to C: , unless I can afford to lose it?
      My Computer

  5. AndreTen's Avatar
    Posts : 23,259
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       #15

    Sorry, only now checked your disk management picture. I don't like the fact you have two Active partitions. Also your unnamed partition should be "System reserved" like in my picture below.

    One more thing...

    Windows 10 upgrade from 7 is fine, but I would think of clean install. Especially, since from your disk management picture I can see that you have separate system partition, which is almost empty.

    This is, what I would do.. (it's not necessary):

    - Made ISO from direct download from MS (tutorials are here on 10 forums),
    - made large 2 TB drive non-active (just right click in disk management)
    - backup you drives with Macrium reflect (just in case anything goes wrong)
    - boot from USB key with Windows 10 made from ISO with Rufus
    - wipe (delete) C: and that unnknown partition
    - install Windows 10

    It is just an hour work.

    Edit 2: disable anything extra about sata in BIOS...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AHCI installation every time on startup?-2016_08_04_18_49_401.png  
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 43
    Win-10 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #16

    Thanks Andre, I knew I had to do that but I was kinda putting it off.

    As for AHCI thing, Rapid storage is installed and running, disabled a bunch of SATA stuff in BIOS but still no luck on removing that page that checks storage devices in AHCI mode.. right now Im using the Intel SATA ports rather than the GSATA ones so that shouldn't be a problem, not sure where else to look at this point.
      My Computer

  7. Kbird's Avatar
    Posts : 2,196
    Win10 202H
       #17

    hatemf23 said:
    Good point on the Rapid storage! actually this is what made me realize I wasn't running AHCI when I couldn't install it. I will give it a try then get back to you.


    I was referring to my 1st reply screenshot (450 free space) but Mini partition says otherwise so I guess I will have to leave it be since I imagine its not worth it to try to move whatever is in it to C: , unless I can afford to lose it?
    You don't need RST Software if you are not Running Raid , even then it is a personal choice , but you can install the best Drivers for the Controller , in the case of our X58 Boards it is 11.2.1006 or the 11.7.4.1001 which you can read about here:

    scroll down about 1 page to the Table of "best Drivers"
    Which are the Intel AHCI/RAID drivers?

    I am running 11.7.4 as I am using a Modded Bios FH with a newer Raid Rom but 11.2 is a fast Driver too.

    I had issues at 1st on my older motherboards as Win10 automatically installs a 13.xxx series Driver which is not 100% compatible with our ICH10R Chipset , I had the same issue on a EP45 MB too with the ICH10R too.


    KB
      My Computers

  8. Kbird's Avatar
    Posts : 2,196
    Win10 202H
       #18

    hatemf23 said:
    Thanks Andre, I knew I had to do that but I was kinda putting it off.

    As for AHCI thing, Rapid storage is installed and running, disabled a bunch of SATA stuff in BIOS but still no luck on removing that page that checks storage devices in AHCI mode.. right now Im using the Intel SATA ports rather than the GSATA ones so that shouldn't be a problem, not sure where else to look at this point.

    YOU CAN NOT disable the ACHI BIOS from installing at Boot , if in AHCI or RAID MODE ,

    you can disable the Esata and GSata if only hooked to the Intel ports.

    I assume you are only using Win10 ? no Dual boot with Linux etc? if not then you can set the 2TB drive to Non active in DM or MPW easily.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 43
    Win-10 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #19

    Kbird said:
    You don't need RST Software if you are not Running Raid , even then it is a personal choice , but you can install the best Drivers for the Controller , in the case of our X58 Boards it is 11.2.1006 or the 11.7.4.1001 which you can read about here:

    scroll down about 1 page to the Table of "best Drivers"
    Which are the Intel AHCI/RAID drivers?

    I am running 11.7.4 as I am using a Modded Bios FH with a newer Raid Rom but 11.2 is a fast Driver too.

    I had issues at 1st on my older motherboards as Win10 automatically installs a 13.xxx series Driver which is not 100% compatible with our ICH10R Chipset , I had the same issue on a EP45 MB too with the ICH10R too.


    KB
    Ok I will look into to it, although the problem is Im not sure where to uninstall the driver I have now, Windows 10 doesnt give me a chance to manually install drivers and its not listed in the installed apps.

    As for that screen I will take a screenshot of it and post it here.

    Kbird said:
    YOU CAN NOT disable the ACHI BIOS from installing at Boot , if in AHCI or RAID MODE ,

    So I understand you have that same AHCI loading step then??
      My Computer

  10. Kbird's Avatar
    Posts : 2,196
    Win10 202H
       #20

    you can install the Drivers manually via Device Manager if needed , no reason to use the RST Full installer. But posting the driver you have already would be a good idea.

    Yes I am using Raid0 , so the same thing happens at boot for me , under Raid the Raid array runs with Raid Mode while the other Disks on the Raid Controller run in ACHI mode eg my SSD Boot Drive


    I had to do a reinstall yesterday for the Anniv. Update due to my SSD being incorrectly partitioned too, AndreTen is right it took about an hour , here is my step by step and some of TopGun's videos to checkout too

    Solved Small Wrinkle in Anniversary Update....MBR Disk - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computers


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:48.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums