Windows 10: Anniversary Update - a no go here Solved

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    03 Aug 2016 #11

    Found the culprit - it was Avast after all. You have to uninstall it completely and use avast cleaner tool then update will install just fine. Also if you install avast after the update - it will cause BSOD's anyway. Developers are already working for a fix though personally i feel like they let me down - i've already made a clean installation and wasted a lot of time because of that bug.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    03 Aug 2016 #12

    Cel said: View Post
    Found the culprit - it was Avast after all. You have to uninstall it completely and use avast cleaner tool then update will install just fine. Also if you install avast after the update - it will cause BSOD's anyway. Developers are already working for a fix though personally i feel like they let me down - i've already made a clean installation and wasted a lot of time because of that bug.
    I just found that out by trying to install Avast. Your post with the cleaner tool saved my skin! Quite a let down from Avast when they have known about the Anniversary Update for quite a bit of time. I think I will just use Windows Defender from now on.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 49
    Win7x64 Pro Win10x64 Pro Linux Mint
    Thread Starter
       04 Aug 2016 #13

    Cel said: View Post
    Found the culprit - it was Avast after all. You have to uninstall it completely and use avast cleaner tool then update will install just fine. Also if you install avast after the update - it will cause BSOD's anyway. Developers are already working for a fix though personally i feel like they let me down - i've already made a clean installation and wasted a lot of time because of that bug.
    Thanks for that. Simply disabling Avast doesn't work - on my system anyway. Had to totally delete it and reboot. Then the update went as smooth as could be. Now using Defender.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    04 Aug 2016 #14

    mart1981 said: View Post
    All weird as my failed update left behind a file - 14393.160715-1616.rs1_release_CLIENTCombinedSL_RET_x64fre_en-us.esd - 2.47GB - which I assume could easily be turned into an ISO.
    Yes, it is easy to convert .esd file into an ISO if you wish to.

    There is a tutorial here: ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Windows 10 Forums

    or you can download the ISO direct from Microsoft from here: Windows 10 ISO
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 56
    Win10 (build 10586.589), Win10 (10240)
       12 Sep 2016 #15

    Wow... great to come across this. Microsoft fell flat on its face in the case of anti-virus programs. They should mandate you to uninstall your anti-virus prior to installing. How hard is that?

    So, I uninstalled Avast! and was able to upgrade from 8.1 to 10. I then installed it again, and it worked fine. And now? With the Anniversary update, I get to 71% and it fails. I get a "STOP CODE: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL." Microsoft support is atrociously USELESS in helping me. "Reformat your hard drive and install Windows 10 fresh." I don't have retail... I have OEM! Idiots.

    So, what is this Avast cleaning tool? Is this something Avast provides?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 49
    Win7x64 Pro Win10x64 Pro Linux Mint
    Thread Starter
       12 Sep 2016 #16

    cytherian said: View Post
    Wow... great to come across this. Microsoft fell flat on its face in the case of anti-virus programs. They should mandate you to uninstall your anti-virus prior to installing. How hard is that?

    So, I uninstalled Avast! and was able to upgrade from 8.1 to 10. I then installed it again, and it worked fine. And now? With the Anniversary update, I get to 71% and it fails. I get a "STOP CODE: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL." Microsoft support is atrociously USELESS in helping me. "Reformat your hard drive and install Windows 10 fresh." I don't have retail... I have OEM! Idiots.

    So, what is this Avast cleaning tool? Is this something Avast provides?
    The only way it worked for me was to totally uninstall Avast, reboot and then the AU went fine. Running now on Defender and Malwarebytes. Not sure if this has been fixed by Avast yet.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    12 Sep 2016 #17

    As far as I know Avast acknowledged the Issue and fixed it 2-3 days later ? but did not advertise it though a definition download splash screen and should have I think, as neither My Mother or Brother knew about it , so crashes for both.....

    [fixed] Blue Screen (BSOD) - Windows 10 Anniversary Update on Skylake CPU

    and you needed to Install the latest version for the Patch after using Avast Cleaner

    Avast Uninstall Utility | Download aswClear for Avast Removal

    New Versions

    NEW August versions: 12.3.2279 + 2280


    currently using .2280 here...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 56
    Win10 (build 10586.589), Win10 (10240)
       12 Sep 2016 #18

    Great - thanks for this info. I've run the Avast! cleaner. I also found out a tip on how to allow software installs in Safe Mode (to help avoid any pesky service or driver clashes)... but it won't work for a Windows 10 system update.

    Anyway, I'll go ahead for my 9th attempt at applying this anniversary update. I'm just about at my wit's end.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 56
    Win10 (build 10586.589), Win10 (10240)
       12 Sep 2016 #19

    I ran the cleaner... didn't solve my problem. I get to 71% installation progress in the last phase, and then it aborts with the BSOD and a STOP CODE (IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    12 Sep 2016 #20

    You need to update you computer Specs + OS

    If you are trying windows Update , download the ISO and try a Inplace Upgrade as outlined the the Installation Tutorials Section.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Solved Anniversary Update Failure in Windows Updates and Activation
1. Downloaded the Windows Home update. 2. I noticed that it was at 92% of preparing the update, but later found it back at perhaps 5%. 3. Second preparation step finished, gave command to restart the computer and finish the process. 4....
Solved Anniversary Update issues in General Support
I updated to the Anni version today and I am not 100% impressed with it. Firstly, I couldn't access the menu using left click but using the right click was ok, Secondly, I find that I am unable to open a .pdf in Adobe reader DC for some strange...
Can't sign in after the Anniversary update in User Accounts and Family Safety
The screen goes black then returns me to sign in...
Cannot login to win 10 anniversary update in User Accounts and Family Safety
Of course after I set everything to not need password login my PC and MS reset everything back to login with password or PIN. Sure these are all saved, on drives etc. only accessible from the PC environment. There is a lot of bad information on how...
Source: Windows 10 Anniversary Update SDK Now Available! Windows Store Open for Submissions | Building Apps for Windows
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51.
Find Us