Installation problems on SSD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 6
    10
       #1

    Installation problems on SSD


    Hi there, I hope you guys can help me with a little problem I encountered while installing.
    I got a new Computer (new mb, a ssd, new cpu etc) and after assembling it I'm trying to install Windows 10 on the SSD via a bootable USB drive. Only the SSD, the dvd drive and the usb to boot from are the plugged in storage devices.
    Now comes the problem: When I tried to install on an existing partition on that ssd (formatted it on win10 on my hdd) it said I couldn't because it was a gpt partition and my hardware may not be able to boot from that, so i deleted all partitions on the ssd and now it says basically the same, just without the partition stuff and i should check if the controller is activated in bios.
    Since it's my first time with a MB with UEFI on it, i don't know how to enter BIOS, so I tried to do that in UEFI, but i can't seem to get it to work.

    I'd appretiate if you could help me, since i seem to have lost my skill to find everything i need on google...

    MB is an ASRock H97 Anniversary, SSD is an 128gb from INTENSO (if that should matter), the USB was created using this tool (Media Creation Tool fr Windows 10 - Download - CHIP)
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 9,272
    Windows 10 Pro on all on various machines version 21H2 and running Window 11 on one desktop without
       #2

    Hello Kekkse mate your post is a little confusing because for one thing there are no system specs except what you have told us.
    Now the drive (SSD) is it new? or has it been used if so then clean it with DISKPART so it is unallocated.

    Put it in the machine and then proceed to boot with the ISO again. Personally I much prefer a DVD as I am not a great fan of sticks per 'se

    Again having said all that are you trying to install 10 onto a partition on that drive which also has another OS on a different partition - we need some clarification on a few things first.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 13,563
    Windows10
       #3

    Kekkzze said:
    Hi there, I hope you guys can help me with a little problem I encountered while installing.
    I got a new Computer (new mb, a ssd, new cpu etc) and after assembling it I'm trying to install Windows 10 on the SSD via a bootable USB drive. Only the SSD, the dvd drive and the usb to boot from are the plugged in storage devices.
    Now comes the problem: When I tried to install on an existing partition on that ssd (formatted it on win10 on my hdd) it said I couldn't because it was a gpt partition and my hardware may not be able to boot from that, so i deleted all partitions on the ssd and now it says basically the same, just without the partition stuff and i should check if the controller is activated in bios.
    Since it's my first time with a MB with UEFI on it, i don't know how to enter BIOS, so I tried to do that in UEFI, but i can't seem to get it to work.

    I'd appretiate if you could help me, since i seem to have lost my skill to find everything i need on google...

    MB is an ASRock H97 Anniversary, SSD is an 128gb from INTENSO (if that should matter), the USB was created using this tool (Media Creation Tool fr Windows 10 - Download - CHIP)
    You are must be set to boot as a legacy bios install.

    Put ssd in another pc and do this.

    From admin command prompt, type

    diskpart

    list disk

    select disk n (where n is sdd disk number - probably last on list)

    clean (wipes drive - be sure you have selected right one)

    convert mbr

    exit

    You will now be able to install OS.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 13,563
    Windows10
       #4

    ICIT2LOL said:
    Hello Kekkse mate your post is a little confusing because for one thing there are no system specs except what you have told us.
    Now the drive (SSD) is it new? or has it been used if so then clean it with DISKPART so it is unallocated.

    Put it in the machine and then proceed to boot with the ISO again. Personally I much prefer a DVD as I am not a great fan of sticks per 'se

    Again having said all that are you trying to install 10 onto a partition on that drive which also has another OS on a different partition - we need some clarification on a few things first.
    Post is clear enough and problem is obvious.

    See my other reply!
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 459
    Windows 8&10
       #5

    Unless you really know what you are doing you cannot preformat a drive for Windows 10. I will normally create 4 partitions so it is best to create the space you want to use and let the install set up the partitions.

    GPT refers to the configuration of the entire drive, not just a partition. If you delete any prior critical partitions during the install, it should install normally. I am assuming you don't have a partition on the drive which already contains data.

    Entering the bios is usually done by tapping a key during boot. On an ASUS board it is Del or F2 but I don't know about ASRock.

    For a UEFI install a total of four partitions will be created during that process. You can check when it shows that info.

    Normally, if you get a message saying the drive is GPT that means you are using non-UEFI version of the install media.

    Cereberus seems to not be acquainted with a UEFI system since you cannot boot as Legacy and install as UEFI.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 9,272
    Windows 10 Pro on all on various machines version 21H2 and running Window 11 on one desktop without
       #6

    cereberus said:
    Post is clear enough and problem is obvious.

    See my other reply!
    Ok I'll leave this one to you I only quoted what I did and it was simple enough and both my laptops are EUFI and they created the GPT disk on install I didn't have to create anything else. Plus Saltgrass is just about bacjking up what I was trying to tell the OP anyway.....

    Edit The BIOS key is F2 for Asrock as it happens Saltbush.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 82
    Windows 10 Pro x64 V1809 b17763.55
       #7

    Please check if secure boot is enabled in the BIOS.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 2,790
    Linux Mint 20.1 Win10Prox64
       #8

    For Asrock MB. During initial boot, keep tapping F2 to enter BIOS. Tapping F11 to display the Boot Menu.

    1. Enter the BIOS, go to Advanced->Storage Configuration and change SATA mode to AHCI
    2. On the BIOS Main Screen, set Full UEFI HD to Auto
    3. With only the SSD connected. Plug in the Windows Installation USB, restart and keep tapping on F11 to enter the Boot Menu.
    4. From Boot Menu, There are 2 entries for the USB, select the one with UEFI prefix, PC should boot into Windows 10 Installation.
    5. On first screen, Press SHIFT+F10 to display the Command Prompt and type:
      dispart
      select disk 0
      clean
      exit
      exit
    6. Continue with the installation, select Custom, hi-lite the unallocated partition then click Next (Do not format). Let Windows installation creates all needed partitions.
    7. Continue until done.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 6
    10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Thanks for the reply guys
    Seems like the problem was that i booted the wrong option for the usb, i selected the USB option, not the UEFI one. Now I don't get that error anymore when I try to install there, and the installation is running smoothly so far, again thanks for helping me out there.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 9,272
    Windows 10 Pro on all on various machines version 21H2 and running Window 11 on one desktop without
       #10

    Yes well glad it got fixed after much ado
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums