Install over Windows 7 has problems - can I reinstall over Windows 7

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
  1. Nisko's Avatar
    Posts : 934
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #111

    simrick said:
    Yes, I did. And @essenbe will help you with the proper setup for the clean install. I'll be on the sidelines, as he is the expert and I don't want to confuse things.
    No confusing between the two of you from me yet. I guess @essenbe hasn't seen my last post. I explained my drives and what's on them now. I'm still not clear on direction going forward.
      My Computer

  2. essenbe's Avatar
    Posts : 12,507
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
       #112

    @Nisko I'll be away for about an hour. I'll help with your questions as soon as I return. @f14tomcat is good at this as well. He knows exactly what I am trying to do. You do not want this to be part of a dual boot. You will have issues once you try to delete one OS from it. That requires the only disk connected to have no OS on it.
      My Computers

  3. Nisko's Avatar
    Posts : 934
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #113

    OK, thanks. I'll have to wait for further instructions before I begin. You are probably in a different time zone than me (Eastern) and I can't stay up anymore. But I'll look for your instructions as soon as wake up in the morning.
      My Computer

  4. essenbe's Avatar
    Posts : 12,507
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
       #114

    OK, here is what I am thinking. As you said you have Windows 7 on a Partition on the 1 Tb drive. Go ahead and delete that partition and move what is on the 500 GB drive there. You will have to change the drive letters so that the old Windows 7 partition has the same drive letter your 500 GB drive has now. Disconnect the 1 TB drive so only the 500Gb drive (which should be empty now) is the only drive connected. Install Windows 10 on the 500 GB drive. After the install is complete, you should be able to connect the 1 TB drive and be back to where you are after you change the boot options in BIOS back to where they are right now.

    All of your downloaded programs you will need to see if there are updated versions. If there are Download them. You also need to check and see if there are updated drivers for your computer. Do these things before you do the install.

    You can do things the way I understand you are doing them and they will work. But, it is not the best practice. You should always keep your OS and programs on the same drive. It is safer and better performance that way. You can move your Pictures, Documents, Music and such to another drive. They are what takes up most of the space on a drive anyway. I have probably about as many programs installed as you do. My data is on another drive. My OS drive is using about 45-50 GB. Programs will not really cause a space problem.
    I 'used to be' a gamer. I have my OS and all programs installed on one drive, with the exception of games. I have a dedicated Games drive just for them. All other programs are on the same drive. My user files are on my Data drive. That works much better.
      My Computers

  5. essenbe's Avatar
    Posts : 12,507
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
       #115

    Before you do anything, please post a screenshot of disk management. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...creenshot.html

    I don't think we can do it the way I told you above. You are in a dual boot. So, let us take a look at it first.

    @Nisko, don't worry about going back and forth between the other OS. With the disk connected you can just get the files using this PC, just like any other drive. You can just copy/paste them if you want. But you will have to install programs.
    Last edited by essenbe; 11 Aug 2016 at 06:15.
      My Computers

  6. essenbe's Avatar
    Posts : 12,507
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
       #116

    Please download and install Mini Tool Partition Wizard, use that for your screenshot showing all of the disks.
      My Computers

  7. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 52,986
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #117

    Nisko, the reason Steve asked for MiniTool screenshot instead of Windows Disk Management is it will show more info, and a more complete picture of all the partitions. Here is a comparison of the two. The red arrows show the difference in the two. This is mine. (yes, I have a lot of stuff on there!) You're welcome to post both, if you wish.

    Install over Windows 7 has problems - can I reinstall over Windows 7-2016-08-11_08h13_29.png

    Install over Windows 7 has problems - can I reinstall over Windows 7-2016-08-11_08h14_04.png
      My Computers

  8. Nisko's Avatar
    Posts : 934
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #118

    I see a problem here with the copy and paste which I will explain when I'm further along in the installation. I do understand that I will have to install programs.

    essenbe said:
    Before you do anything, please post a screenshot of disk management. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...creenshot.html

    I don't think we can do it the way I told you above. You are in a dual boot. So, let us take a look at it first.

    @Nisko, don't worry about going back and forth between the other OS. With the disk connected you can just get the files using this PC, just like any other drive. You can just copy/paste them if you want. But you will have to install programs.
      My Computer

  9. Nisko's Avatar
    Posts : 934
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #119

    Thank you for helping me with this transition - I'm learning a lot from you folks.

    f14tomcat said:
    Nisko, the reason Steve asked for MiniTool screenshot instead of Windows Disk Management is it will show more info, and a more complete picture of all the partitions. Here is a comparison of the two. The red arrows show the difference in the two. This is mine. (yes, I have a lot of stuff on there!) You're welcome to post both, if you wish.

    Install over Windows 7 has problems - can I reinstall over Windows 7-2016-08-11_08h13_29.png

    Install over Windows 7 has problems - can I reinstall over Windows 7-2016-08-11_08h14_04.png
      My Computer

  10. essenbe's Avatar
    Posts : 12,507
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
       #120

    Nisko said:
    I see a problem here with the copy and paste which I will explain when I'm further along in the installation. I do understand that I will have to install programs.
    I'm not sure what problems you are having with copy/paste, but you shouldn't have those problems once the clean install is done. Until then, you may try this tutorial which has batch files which will add copy to folder and move to folder in your right click context menu. 'Copy To folder' and 'Move To folder' Context Menu - Add in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computers


 
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:50.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums