Windows 10: Win10 upgrade keeps getting stuck at 86% Solved

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1.    29 Jul 2016 #31

    Anak said: View Post
    beginner99,

    I saw this, and if you answer my question in the affirmative you're going to have to do a reinstall either with an OS disk or hopefully a saved image:
    Does this mean that you have been working with this win10 upgrade since last fall?
    I upgraded last Fall but the upgraded system was completely unstable freezing up sometimes minutes after boot, sometimes hours. I then reverted back to 7.

    I have a full image of main drive with OS before starting this current upgrade.
    Last edited by beginner99; 29 Jul 2016 at 06:45.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    29 Jul 2016 #32

    Unbelievable. Now the upgrade went through and that pretty quickly. What I did was remove VirtualBox and ran registry cleaner from CC cleaner.

    Win10 is now activated so as far as I understood I can now anytime upgrade if I choose to revert to 7? I say this because it seems I have the same stability issues again as when I tried last fall.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 12,183
    W10Prox64
       29 Jul 2016 #33

    beginner99 said: View Post
    Unbelievable. Now the upgrade went through and that pretty quickly. What I did was remove VirtualBox and ran registry cleaner from CC cleaner.

    Win10 is now activated so as far as I understood I can now anytime upgrade if I choose to revert to 7? I say this because it seems I have the same stability issues again as when I tried last fall.
    Yeah, alot of your errors were for VB. That's great news that you got it upgraded again!
    Yes, once W10 is installed and activated on a machine, it can be clean installed as often as you like/need.

    To be honest, I have seen the most problems with W7 upgrades; more so than with W8 upgrades. All problems, though, have been completely fixed by a clean install. Of course, this means reinstalling all your programs...transferring your data...but, in the end, you get a super-stable, well-oiled machine! Think about it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    29 Jul 2016 #34

    simrick said: View Post
    Yeah, alot of your errors were for VB. That's great news that you got it upgraded again!
    Yes, once W10 is installed and activated on a machine, it can be clean installed as often as you like/need.

    To be honest, I have seen the most problems with W7 upgrades; more so than with W8 upgrades. All problems, though, have been completely fixed by a clean install. Of course, this means reinstalling all your programs...transferring your data...but, in the end, you get a super-stable, well-oiled machine! Think about it.
    It's still strange as I had VB installed since like forever.

    Yeah I thin clean-install is unavoidable but I dread it. Probably wait for that when I upgrade my PC not too far in the future.

    Thanks for your help and thanks to all others! Have a nice weekend.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 12,183
    W10Prox64
       29 Jul 2016 #35

    beginner99 said: View Post
    It's still strange as I had VB installed since like forever.

    Yeah I thin clean-install is unavoidable but I dread it. Probably wait for that when I upgrade my PC not too far in the future.

    Thanks for your help and thanks to all others! Have a nice weekend.
    Sounds good. I bit the bullet and clean installed mine. I just installed programs as I needed them, so it wasn't too bad. Cheers!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 167
    10 Home 64-bit | v1703 | Build -15063.540
       29 Jul 2016 #36

    beginner99 said: View Post
    Unbelievable. Now the upgrade went through and that pretty quickly. What I did was remove VirtualBox and ran registry cleaner from CC cleaner.

    Win10 is now activated so as far as I understood I can now anytime upgrade if I choose to revert to 7? I say this because it seems I have the same stability issues again as when I tried last fall.
    That is what it seems like, but keep an eye out in this thread and there should be others in the forums checking on the viability to up and downgrade, you never know when microsoft may drop the hammer: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14393 for PC and Mobile post #489


    As to the stability problems, have you ever ran the compatibility checker?
    Will your PC run Windows 10? Use the official compatibility checker to find out

    If you already have it: How to manually run Windows 10 Compatibility Appraiser
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Related Threads
When trying to download the Win10 upgrade, it first takes me to Windows Update. It says "Check your PC before upgrading. Before installing Windows 10 Insider Preview, something needs your attention." and presents a "Check your PC" button. When I...
Solved win10 upgrade stuck at key request in Installation and Upgrade
I have three computers in family that were given upgrades on the win7 family plan. One was just informed it was eligible for win10 upgrade. I think I made the mistake of custom install (for a clean install) instead of an upgrade and, related to...
I bought an iView cyber pc with Windows 8.1 Windows upgrade to 10 virus attack, mysterious bank charges, popups etc. Couldn't use PC. so I used the Windows 10 USB boot disk and select to repair the PC, tried deleting all files, tried leaving...
Stuck on Win10 Build 10074; Cannot update in Windows Updates and Activation
I am currently running "Windows 10 Home Insider Preview"; Build 10074. Today I received an error stating that my Version of Windows is outdated, and needs to be updated. It also stated that my pc will restart every couple hours, until it fails to...
Win10 Upgrade stuck for third time in Windows Updates and Activation
Looks to be stuck in a loop, at 32% overall, 6% at Installing features and drivers. Second attempt was left for overnight and nothing changed. Toshiba L305-S5921 Laptop. Upgrading from Win 7 home. Had no trouble on my desktop or HP laptop. ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01.
Find Us