Windows 10: WIN 10 Installation Issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    22 Jul 2016 #1

    WIN 10 Installation Issues


    WIN 10 Installation Issues
    I have a DELL Inspiron 15, 3542 Series, running Window 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, that I am trying to upgrade to WIN 10. I have a 500 GB HD with 318 GB of free space. I have failed to do so on about 6 or 7 or 8 attempts—I’ve lost track.
    · I had MS Support on line for about 2 hours (Case #1347424250)--no success.
    · I have tried the ‘normal’ method, responding to the WIN 10 prompt—no success.
    · I have disabled MS Security Essentials—no success.
    · I have tried a ‘clean reboot’ installation—no success.
    · I have removed CC Cleaner—no success.
    · I have downloaded all of the required s/w onto an 8 GB thumb drive (on another of my 3 pcs) and tried that method—no success.
    · I ran MS’s Mr. Fixit. I ran CHKDSK. I defragged my HD.
    · I have updated my drivers from the DELL website—no success.
    All with no success. The process goes so far and I always get the same error message:
    “0x8007002c-0x2000D
    The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during the MIGRATE_DATA operation.”
    I have looked all over the internet and seen this problem referred to many times, but have yet to find a workaround that handles this problem (whatever it is). Should I just give up and continue to run WIN 7 until this pc dies?

    July 21, 2016
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       22 Jul 2016 #2

    RCAASTRO said: View Post
    WIN 10 Installation Issues
    I have a DELL Inspiron 15, 3542 Series, running Window 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, that I am trying to upgrade to WIN 10. I have a 500 GB HD with 318 GB of free space. I have failed to do so on about 6 or 7 or 8 attempts—I’ve lost track.
    · I had MS Support on line for about 2 hours (Case #1347424250)--no success.
    · I have tried the ‘normal’ method, responding to the WIN 10 prompt—no success.
    · I have disabled MS Security Essentials—no success.
    · I have tried a ‘clean reboot’ installation—no success.
    · I have removed CC Cleaner—no success.
    · I have downloaded all of the required s/w onto an 8 GB thumb drive (on another of my 3 pcs) and tried that method—no success.
    · I ran MS’s Mr. Fixit. I ran CHKDSK. I defragged my HD.
    · I have updated my drivers from the DELL website—no success.
    All with no success. The process goes so far and I always get the same error message:
    “0x8007002c-0x2000D
    The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during the MIGRATE_DATA operation.”
    I have looked all over the internet and seen this problem referred to many times, but have yet to find a workaround that handles this problem (whatever it is). Should I just give up and continue to run WIN 7 until this pc dies?

    July 21, 2016
    Hi RCAASTRO and welcome to Tenforums.

    One question: Do you need to "upgrade" or can you clean install? If you are willing to clean install, I'm sure we can do this easily. If you need to upgrade (because you have software you don't want to lose), then there will be a lot of work involved, and I can't guarantee success. I have seen quite a few W7 upgrades that end up with issues, which are corrected by a clean install.

    If you need to upgrade, please start by posting a screenshot of your Disk Management for us. Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    24 Jul 2016 #3

    simrick said: View Post
    Hi RCAASTRO and welcome to Tenforums.

    One question: Do you need to "upgrade" or can you clean install? If you are willing to clean install, I'm sure we can do this easily. If you need to upgrade (because you have software you don't want to lose), then there will be a lot of work involved, and I can't guarantee success. I have seen quite a few W7 upgrades that end up with issues, which are corrected by a clean install.

    If you need to upgrade, please start by posting a screenshot of your Disk Management for us. Thanks.
    Thanks for the input. I've saved what I need to from my various Libraries and made a list of what programs I will need to reinstall. So, I'm ready to try a clean install. I like the concept of "...we can do this easily." How do I go about that?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    24 Jul 2016 #4

    RCAASTRO said: View Post
    So, I'm ready to try a clean install. I like the concept of "...we can do this easily." How do I go about that?
    Coming from Windows 7 for the first time - this is the way I would do the clean install. Make sure you have either your Windows 7 product key from the COA sticker or the genuineticket.xml file saved:

    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       24 Jul 2016 #5

    RCAASTRO said: View Post
    Thanks for the input. I've saved what I need to from my various Libraries and made a list of what programs I will need to reinstall. So, I'm ready to try a clean install. I like the concept of "...we can do this easily." How do I go about that?
    Okay!
    Download and run ShowkeyPlus, to grab your W7 keycode and write it down.
    Will you be installing with a flash drive or DVD?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    24 Jul 2016 #6

    simrick said: View Post
    Okay!
    Download and run ShowkeyPlus, to grab your W7 keycode and write it down.
    Will you be installing with a flash drive or DVD?
    Don't forget, though. Showkey will show the OEM:SLP key if that is what was used for the Windows 7 install and that cannot be used to activate Windows 10 with.

    If showkey shows a Windows 7 OEM:SLP key, the user must either use the product key from the COA sticker, or the genuineticket.xml file method to activate Windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       24 Jul 2016 #7

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Don't forget, though. Showkey will show the OEM:SLP key if that is what was used for the Windows 7 install and that cannot be used to activate Windows 10 with.

    If showkey shows a Windows 7 OEM:SLP key, the user must either use the product key from the COA sticker, or the genuineticket.xml file method to activate Windows 10.
    Good point. Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    24 Jul 2016 #8

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Coming from Windows 7 for the first time - this is the way I would do the clean install. Make sure you have either your Windows 7 product key from the COA sticker or the genuineticket.xml file saved:

    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums
    What'sa COA sticker and where do I find it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       24 Jul 2016 #9

    RCAASTRO said: View Post
    What'sa COA sticker and where do I find it?
    Certificate of Authenticity - on the computer somewhere, with your W7 keycode on it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    24 Jul 2016 #10

    RCAASTRO said: View Post
    What'sa COA sticker and where do I find it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Solved Performance installation issues in Performance & Maintenance
If this forum is setup similar to the Windows 8 forum, my laptop specs should appear as part of my signature. I come to this forum to help fix a few issues with my now upgraded version of Windows. Honestly, in the 20+ years I've owned pc's and...
I am kept quite busy with clients running into Windows 10 upgrade issues, invariably from older machines. i would criticise Microsoft for insufficient information in regard to the process Here are a summary of some of the issues: Window 10...
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice if possible. I really don't know what to call my problems, and I don't know if its related to my laptop, or the upgrade. Firstly, when dragging an internet page up or down, using the mouse pad (buttons work...
Hello guys, I have a problem and some questions for you. Thank you for helping out, your support is very much appreciated. Here is my case. In August Windows 10 downloaded itself on my system, but without my consent, since I had not reserved it....
I wanted to experiment with Win 10 while preserving my Win 7 x64 installation. I imaged my Win 7 to a new hdd which is formatted as GPT. I repaired the Win 7 copy using a Win 7 SP1 installation dvd and got it to boot in UEFI mode using the ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47.
Find Us