Windows 10: Did clean install of Win 10 on SSD - Want to put Win 7 on hard drive Solved

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 13
    Windows 10 64-bit
       17 Jul 2016 #1

    Did clean install of Win 10 on SSD - Want to put Win 7 on hard drive


    I probably went about this backwards. I had Windows 7 installed on a 120GB SSD with my User files & some Program Files on a 1TB hard drive. I did a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD last night. Now I have decided that I want to keep the Windows 7 OS also, but I am not sure what "dual boot" means or entails.

    I am sure I will have to partition D drive to install Windows 7 on & I just noticed that my CD/DVD drive is not showing. I will need help with this also please.

    And, what do I need to do to combine the User files for Windows 7 & 10 on the D drive, or is this even how to go about it?

    I have attached my setup in Disk Management & my system info here: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Q...vy5IOEIVsJcTne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  
    Last edited by Moolah; 17 Jul 2016 at 00:40. Reason: Add System Info
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    17 Jul 2016 #2

    If you used that same W7 to upgrade to 10, than you don't have license to W7 any more. It's been "traded" so you can't legally use it any more.
    Otherwise it's not a problem. Best way is to temporarily disconnect SSD and install whatever OS you want on HDD. After that you can reinstall HDD and use program called EasyBCD on the SSD to set a menu from which you can choose which OS to BOOT from. There are other ways but this one is easiest and safest.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    17 Jul 2016 #3

    To add a little bit to CountMike's post - after you install the second OS on the hard drive, and have both drives connected again, you want the SSD to be on the first SATA port and the hard drive to be on the second SATA port. Boot the computer from the SSD into Windows 10. Then you can either use EasyBCD to add a boot menu item for the Windows on hard drive.

    Or

    Windows 10 should assign a drive letter to the second Windows partition. Let's say it gets drive letter E:\. Right click on the start icon, select Command Prompt (Admin). In the command prompt window run:

    BCDBOOT E:\Windows /d /addlast

    The path in red will be the drive letter Windows 10 gives to the second OS partition and the Windows folder of that partition.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 8,897
    Windows 10 Professional
       17 Jul 2016 #4

    My two cents:
    I have no problems dual booting Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, using the W8.1 retail key for W8.1, (from whence I upgraded), while Windows 10 retains it's digital entitlement; on the same machine of course!
    Different machine would be a different story of course.
    Just sayin!
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    17 Jul 2016 #5

    Edwin said: View Post
    My two cents:
    I have no problems dual booting Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, using the W8.1 retail key for W8.1, (from whence I upgraded), while Windows 10 retains it's digital entitlement; on the same machine of course!
    Different machine would be a different story of course.
    Just sayin!
    The fact that you have no problems doing it does not change the fact that it violates the EULA in order to do it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 13
    Windows 10 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       21 Jul 2016 #6

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    To add a little bit to CountMike's post - after you install the second OS on the hard drive, and have both drives connected again, you want the SSD to be on the first SATA port and the hard drive to be on the second SATA port. Boot the computer from the SSD into Windows 10. Then you can either use EasyBCD to add a boot menu item for the Windows on hard drive.

    Or

    Windows 10 should assign a drive letter to the second Windows partition. Let's say it gets drive letter E:\. Right click on the start icon, select Command Prompt (Admin). In the command prompt window run:

    BCDBOOT E:\Windows /d /addlast

    The path in red will be the drive letter Windows 10 gives to the second OS partition and the Windows folder of that partition.
    Sorry for the delay. I have been away. If I understand correctly, I do not have to partition the hard drive for Windows 7. I have it on a flash drive. Do I run setup.exe or do I boot from flash drive? The SSD drive is on the first SATA port already & the hard drive on the second one.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    21 Jul 2016 #7

    Moolah said: View Post
    Sorry for the delay. I have been away. If I understand correctly, I do not have to partition the hard drive for Windows 7. I have it on a flash drive. Do I run setup.exe or do I boot from flash drive? The SSD drive is on the first SATA port already & the hard drive on the second one.
    If you are wanting to clean install Windows 7 to the HDD, then you disconnect the SSD, and boot the computer from the Windows 7 USB flash drive. After Windows 7 is installed on the HDD, reconnect the SSD and boot the computer from it, run the BCDBOOT command to add the Windows 7 to the boot menu on the SSD.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    21 Jul 2016 #8

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    The fact that you have no problems doing it does not change the fact that it violates the EULA in order to do it.
    LOL... he's just a bad boy, truth be told!.... but seriously, he was one one of the first to purchase one of the Win 10 USB's when it launched.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    21 Jul 2016 #9

    The simple answer is to use Oracle VM VirtualBox its free and you dont need to mess with paritions and boot it just run as a virtual pc and you can run any other o/s like linux, win95 etc
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 8,897
    Windows 10 Professional
       21 Jul 2016 #10

    Superfly said: View Post
    LOL... he's just a bad boy, truth be told!....
    I only require an occasional spanking!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
I have Windows 7 on a SSD and my User files, programs, and data on a 1TB hard drive. I plan on doing a clean install and want to keep the same setup. Do I need to format the hard drive also? If not, how do I install Win 10 & put the User files on...
Hi I have looked through solutions for this issue, but the suggestions don't seem to fix my issue... I am running Windows 7 SP1 Pro 64-bit on a Dell Optiplex 760, and try to do a clean install of Windows 10, using the ISO file which I downloaded...
If I want to completely and securely wipe my hard drive so that there is nothing recoverable left, will a clean win 10 install with formatting do this? Or do I need to first use killdisk or something similar to wipe the drive, then install...
Clean install on a new 250gb hard drive/ in Installation and Upgrade
I previously used windows xp and just went and bought a new hard drive and windows 10 usb. Im confused. I installed the hard drive along with my old master drive, using it as slave i presume. Will it auto partition the new hard drive
I have a laptop and a desktop with a 120 gig ssd and a 64 gig SSD respectively. Both computers have conventional hard drives as drive D. I have two 250 gig SSD's on the way. What is the best strategy for moving to the new SSD's and preforming the...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:06.
Find Us