Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
  1.    29 Jul 2016 #101
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 58
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ahelton View Post
    I think we have the option of using KMS or MAK, but are actually using just MAK.
    I suspected you were using MAK. KMS requires a threshold where you have to have like 20+ machines using it before it'll work
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    29 Jul 2016 #102
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 69
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    I'm heading out on vacation this weekend, but when I get back I'm going to attempt to do this virtual machine thing and play around a little more with imaging and such. Are you familiar with that Hyper-V thing that other poster mentioned? Or would you recommend something like VMware or VirtualBox?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    29 Jul 2016 #103
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 69
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    It appears that I'm not the only one who has had problems with activating MS Office 2010. Found this link on Microsoft's website for fixing the issue: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2400124

    I haven't tried it yet, but I have one computer that isn't activating so am going to give this a go and see what happens.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    29 Jul 2016 #104
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 58
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ahelton View Post
    I'm heading out on vacation this weekend, but when I get back I'm going to attempt to do this virtual machine thing and play around a little more with imaging and such. Are you familiar with that Hyper-V thing that other poster mentioned? Or would you recommend something like VMware or VirtualBox?
    I would really recommend that you start with something like VMWare or VirtualBox. Hyper-V is a little difficult for starters to understand. I would recommend that you use VMWare- its what I personally use and its free for noncommercial use (good for playing around on your own time when you're not at work). Its pretty simple to use.

    Just remember:
    -If you're going to be putting windows 10 x64 on a virtual machine, you'll want the virtual machine to at least have these specs for optimal performance:

    CPU: 2 cores
    RAM: 4 GB
    HDD: 60 GB

    Virtual machines can require a little bit of horsepower. You'll probably want to make sure your host machine (the computer you'll be running the VM on) has at least 6 GB of RAM and enough hard drive space. You can cut back on the power you'll need by choosing to run the 32 bit version of windows 10 in the VM- all editions of Windows 10 you can get from the Microsoft website (and you'd probably want to anyways- .isos are most ideal for VM's).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    25 Aug 2016 #105
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 69
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by RBunning View Post
    I would really recommend that you start with something like VMWare or VirtualBox. Hyper-V is a little difficult for starters to understand. I would recommend that you use VMWare- its what I personally use and its free for noncommercial use (good for playing around on your own time when you're not at work). Its pretty simple to use.

    Just remember:
    -If you're going to be putting windows 10 x64 on a virtual machine, you'll want the virtual machine to at least have these specs for optimal performance:

    CPU: 2 cores
    RAM: 4 GB
    HDD: 60 GB

    Virtual machines can require a little bit of horsepower. You'll probably want to make sure your host machine (the computer you'll be running the VM on) has at least 6 GB of RAM and enough hard drive space. You can cut back on the power you'll need by choosing to run the 32 bit version of windows 10 in the VM- all editions of Windows 10 you can get from the Microsoft website (and you'd probably want to anyways- .isos are most ideal for VM's).
    @RBunning

    So I'm wanting to start playing around with VMWare. Do I install the VMWare Workstation Player 12? I'm a little confused by their website as to what software to download. I want the one that is free for personal use.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    25 Aug 2016 #106
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Crewe Cheshire
    Posts : 1,389
    windows 10

    The correct way to do this is by using a RIS server https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/325862
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    25 Aug 2016 #107
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 58
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ahelton View Post
    @RBunning

    So I'm wanting to start playing around with VMWare. Do I install the VMWare Workstation Player 12? I'm a little confused by their website as to what software to download. I want the one that is free for personal use.
    You're after "VMWare Workstation Player *12*" (12 is their latest version). Their website is pretty confusing- I won't lie, I've gotten lost on it looking for it as well.

    It seems that this is the download page:
    VMWare Workstation 12 free

    You'll obviously want the Windows x64 version (since I assume that is what you're 'host machine' will have). I can also help with getting started with VMWare player.

    Here's a screenshot of the version info with VMWare installed on my machine:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016_08_25_22_51_181.png  
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    26 Aug 2016 #108
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 69
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by RBunning View Post
    You're after "VMWare Workstation Player *12*" (12 is their latest version). Their website is pretty confusing- I won't lie, I've gotten lost on it looking for it as well.
    No Joke. They could stand to hire a good UX designer .

    I was guessing it was Workstation 12 Player, but just wanted to verify. Thanks! May fiddle around with it this weekend on my home desktop if I end up having time.
    Last edited by ahelton; 26 Aug 2016 at 15:36.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Installation & Upgrade System Image - Create Hardware Independent System Image
How to Create Hardware Independent System Image for Installing Windows 10 In this tutorial we will prepare a Windows 10 image customizing the default user profile and install software we want to include in a clean Windows installation. When...
Tutorials
Create a wim or esd file with no volume image
https://i1.social.s-msft.com/globalresources/Images/trans.gif?cver=0%0d%0aHi Using Windows ADK 10 v1511, it is possible to create a wim or esd file with no volume image so that I can add them later? Thanks Bye
General Support
Fall Update and Reference image
We use MDT 2013 for our image deployment. As of now my current directions have been to explore if we can utilize Windows 10 Professional for fiture upgrades and I have a virtual lab setup for testing and working out the methodology. Our...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Does the ISO W10 Disk create the W7 recovery image?
I created ISO disks for both my 32 bit and 64 bit systems at the MS download site. If I use the ISO disk instead of the Windows Update method, does the install still create the W7 image in case I want to go back to W7 after installing W10? Also,...
Installation and Upgrade
Create system image ?
Hi All I try to save a image for my windows , but don't know which files should I include . Should I include "Recovery D" ..? That's the only 1 not check ..? Thanks . 32353
Backup and Restore
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums