Bought a used ematic Windows 10 tablet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. vgchat's Avatar
    Posts : 381
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #11

    Alright, so our techie friend said "just reinstall windows on it". He hasn't seen it yet, got any more key combos for me to try when it's booting?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,519
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
       #12

    Do you get a logon screen? And can you plug in a USB keyboard?
    If so, then click on the Power symbol on the logon screen, then hold down Shift as you select Restart. Then you should get into Advanced Startup which will give you more options.
      My Computer

  3. vgchat's Avatar
    Posts : 381
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #13

    Yes and Yes, I'll have to give that a shot.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 143
    Windows 10 1607
       #14

    Found on Microsoft community forum; you could try this:

    Follow the below steps:-
    1)*** Press Shift and Restart from the power icon (together)
    2)*** Select Troubleshoot.
    3)*** Go to Advanced Options.
    4)*** Select Command Prompt.
    5)*** Type "net user Administrator /active:yes"
    6)*** Hit Enter.

    A user account with the name Admin will be created. Log in with that account and you will be able to access Admin privileges. You can also create and change the status of other accounts with that account.


    Next restart should give you the choice to log in using the Admin account. (By default it has no password)
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,519
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
       #15

    markweatherill said:
    Found on Microsoft community forum; you could try this:

    Follow the below steps:-
    1)*** Press Shift and Restart from the power icon (together)
    2)*** Select Troubleshoot.
    3)*** Go to Advanced Options.
    4)*** Select Command Prompt.
    5)*** Type "net user Administrator /active:yes"
    6)*** Hit Enter.

    A user account with the name Admin will be created. Log in with that account and you will be able to access Admin privileges. You can also create and change the status of other accounts with that account.


    Next restart should give you the choice to log in using the Admin account. (By default it has no password)
    The problem with that approach is that you don't get to step 5 until after you've already typed in an Admin-level password for that machine.

    In fact most of the options in a Shift-Restart are like that and require an Admin-level password (even the Reset option which I thought earlier might work seems to need a password).

    But Shift Restart should allow you to
    * get into the UEFI/BIOS settings
    * Turn off the computer properly (ie not in 'Fast Startup' mode), which makes it easier to boot from a USB stick
    * There might also be a Factory Reset option or similar which might not require a password (with any luck - not sure about that).

    If you can't do a Factory Reset, I think you might need to create a USB with a Windows installation ISO on it, use Shift Restart/ Advanced Startup to boot from that, and then install Windows again.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 143
    Windows 10 1607
       #16

    DavidY said:
    The problem with that approach is that you don't get to step 5 until after you've already typed in an Admin-level password for that machine.
    I was assuming that an Admin password hadn't been set up
      My Computer


  7. paulsalter's Avatar
    Posts : 22,962
    Windows 10
       #17

    Not sure how easy this is to do on a tablet as they boot fairly quickly

    But another thought is to crash the machine while its booting, force it off by holding the power button in while it starts up

    After doing this about 3 times, windows should then give an error saying it had trouble starting, then give you the recovery options
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,519
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
       #18

    paulsalter said:
    Not sure how easy this is to do on a tablet as they boot fairly quickly

    But another thought is to crash the machine while its booting, force it off by holding the power button in while it starts up

    After doing this about 3 times, windows should then give an error saying it had trouble starting, then give you the recovery options
    The OP shouldn't need to do this: Shift - Restart from the logon page should get the same options more cleanly.
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:17.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums