Is upgrading to Win 10 to much of a risk?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 41
    Windows 8.1 Pro
       #1

    Is upgrading to Win 10 to much of a risk?


    I WAS planing to do the in-place upgrade to Windows 10, and then do a clean install after that. But I got a message that a friend of mine tried the in place upgrade and it fried her CPU! Now she has no computer, and can't afford to do anything about that. I Googled the problem and found out that thousands of computers have been rendered unusable after attempting the in place upgrade. So I was deciding to stay with horrible Win 8.1 until everyone is sure that no more than small problems will arise with the Win 10 upgrade.

    But I'm wondering if ANY computers have be rendered unusable after trying the clean install.

    In place upgrade: BEWARE!
    Clean install: SAFE?

    Any help with this will be very much appreciated. :)
      My Computer

  2. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 13,496
    Windows 10 IoT
       #2

    Link please to this fried CPU issue? I'm very skeptical to be honest. First I've heard of it. If in fact thousands of PC's were rendered useless I think it would have ben posted here by now. If it was I completely missed it?
      My Computer

  3. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 13,175
    Windows 10 Pro
       #3

    I have never heard of or read a verifiable case of Windows 10 causing physical damage to a computer.
      My Computer

  4. BunnyJ's Avatar
    Posts : 22,693
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #4

    I can't think of anyway an OS upgrade can fry any processor. More details are needed on what occurred first.

    On a secondary note.. I did an upgrade multiple time with zero issues.. as millions of others have.
      My Computer

  5. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 13,496
    Windows 10 IoT
       #5

    I've had issues with upgrades. No hardware damage, just glitches. A clean install was fine though with no issues.
      My Computer

  6. BunnyJ's Avatar
    Posts : 22,693
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #6

    alphanumeric said:
    I've had issues with upgrades. No hardware damage, just glitches. A clean install was fine though with no issues.
    I did a google search and found nothing. I seriously question the claim in the OP.
      My Computer


  7. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 11,322
    Windows10
       #7

    Mr Mag00 said:
    I WAS planing to do the in-place upgrade to Windows 10, and then do a clean install after that. But I got a message that a friend of mine tried the in place upgrade and it fried her CPU! Now she has no computer, and can't afford to do anything about that. I Googled the problem and found out that thousands of computers have been rendered unusable after attempting the in place upgrade. So I was deciding to stay with horrible Win 8.1 until everyone is sure that no more than small problems will arise with the Win 10 upgrade.

    But I'm wondering if ANY computers have be rendered unusable after trying the clean install.

    In place upgrade: BEWARE!
    Clean install: SAFE?

    Any help with this will be very much appreciated. :)
    Pure concidence - an OS cannot fry a cpu.

    Most likely reason is the pc fan or power supply was about to fail anyway, and you just enough load on them to tip it over the edge. Would have happpened soon anyway.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 41
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #8

    I plan to call her to try and get more info on this. Of course, software won't loosen the screws on your computer but I read that firmware can be corrupted, making certain components unusable. Power surges can occur. I'm not an expert here. That's why I came to this forum. I heard nothing about this 'til I saw the message about my friend. I plan to try and find out what really happened. A message said that she said that Microsoft told her she needed to buy a new CPU! I immediately thought that she did something wrong but after Googling, now I'm afraid to get Win 10. I thought that maybe if I did a clean install without doing the in place upgrade first, then maybe I'd be safe? My computer is all I have. If I lose it, I can't replace it. I'LL be toast.

    I never heard of a computer being trashed by an upgrade. But now I'm hearing about it. I don't remember what words I used when I Googled the subject... but sometimes I found nothing. My computer cost a lot of money. It was a gift. I'm poor! If I lose it, everything in my life stops.

    People were talking about a class action suit. But the EULA kinda messes up that idea I think... maybe except for the computers that were upgraded without permission of their owners, and destroyed, or crippled.
      My Computer

  9. CmmTch's Avatar
    Posts : 459
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #9

    Upgrading shouldn't be any risk to hardware, as was mentioned, if a hardware failure occurs it's very unlikely an update was the root cause. The hardware that failed was going to fail anyway.

    Sounds like you need a backup/image of your present OS before doing anything, that way you can always revert back to where you were at the time the backup/image was taken, since you have Win8 I went to eightforums and found these tutorials.

    Creating a backup/image http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...-a.html?filter[1]=Backup Restore

    Restoring from a backup/image http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

    By following these two tutorials above, you should be set. Now you can attempt the W10 upgrade knowing you can go back to the previous OS if something goes wrong.

    FYI, at the bottom of each tutorial there are links for related tutorials.

    Good luck :)
      My Computers

  10. BunnyJ's Avatar
    Posts : 22,693
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #10

    Mr Mag00 said:
    I plan to call her to try and get more info on this. Of course, software won't loosen the screws on your computer but I read that firmware can be corrupted, making certain components unusable. Power surges can occur. I'm not an expert here. That's why I came to this forum. I heard nothing about this 'til I saw the message about my friend. I plan to try and find out what really happened. A message said that she said that Microsoft told her she needed to buy a new CPU! I immediately thought that she did something wrong but after Googling, now I'm afraid to get Win 10. I thought that maybe if I did a clean install without doing the in place upgrade first, then maybe I'd be safe? My computer is all I have. If I lose it, I can't replace it. I'LL be toast.

    I never heard of a computer being trashed by an upgrade. But now I'm hearing about it. I don't remember what words I used when I Googled the subject... but sometimes I found nothing. My computer cost a lot of money. It was a gift. I'm poor! If I lose it, everything in my life stops.

    People were talking about a class action suit. But the EULA kinda messes up that idea I think... maybe except for the computers that were upgraded without permission of their owners, and destroyed, or crippled.
    If you can post your findings from Google that would be a help. So far I found nothing to support any reason an upgrade would do anything to the hardware.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums