1.    06 Jul 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 6
    10, 7, Server 2012, ...

    What happens when I reload a PC/"Reserve" Windows 10 free upgrades


    Two questions:
    1) What happens when I reload my Windows 8 PC after the free upgrade expires?
    I have a Dell desktop that came with Windows 8 (or 8.1?) home. I did the Win 10 upgrade and then used my Win 8. Pro upgrade key to upgrade to Win 10 Pro.
    I have created a Windows 10 ISO and I know the generic key (VK7JG...) is the one used. If I need to reload the PC after the free upgrade, will I be stuck with Windows 8 again or can I use the ISO and key to upgrade again? If not is there a way (short of a disk image) to make sure I can upgrade?

    2) I have two Windows 7 licenses (Pro and Ultimate). Is there a way to reserve the Windows 10 upgrade with them, like for instance installing them on a virtual machine? This of course would tie into question 1 possibly if and when I need those installations. I could of course (depending on the virtual machine I think) convert them from p to v at some point as well. Any recommendations on which system (Virtual PC, VMWare, etc.) to use if that's the case?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    06 Jul 2016 #2
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,612
    Windows 10 IoT

    If you've done the free upgrade, that PC should now have a digital entitlement for Windows 10. Go to Settings > Updates & security > Activation. It will tell you there. If it has a digital entitlement you can clean install/reinstall Windows 10 any time you want (even after the offer expires) and activate with the digital entitlement. Just install the same version that's installed now, and click skip when asked for a key.

    I can't help you with the VM part.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    06 Jul 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 6
    10, 7, Server 2012, ...
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    If you've done the free upgrade, that PC should now have a digital entitlement for Windows 10. Go to Settings > Updates & security > Activation. It will tell you there. If it has a digital entitlement you can clean install/reinstall Windows 10 any time you want (even after the offer expires) and activate with the digital entitlement. Just install the same version that's installed now, and click skip when asked for a key.
    Thanks, so does that mean they have some kind of database that has our HAL information and to check with for future reloads? How else would they know it was ok?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    06 Jul 2016 #4
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,612
    Windows 10 IoT

    It pretty close to how its always been. A digital fingerprint if you will of your hardware is created when you activate. A hardware ID. It's stored on the activation server. When you reinstall and go to activate, the activation server looks for a matching digital ID for your PC. If one is found, it activates. If it doesn't match, it won't activate. In the past this was also tied to the product code used to activate. Now, with a digital entitlement it isn't. The digital entitlement uses a generic key. Installing with that key will not activate if there is no digital entitlement on record for that PC. If you do upgrades to your hardware the ID gets updated to match. Like in the past, you can pretty well swap out anything except the motherboard and not have activation fail. Just don't change to many things all at once.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-10-activation
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    06 Jul 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 6
    10, 7, Server 2012, ...
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    It pretty close to how its always been. A digital fingerprint if you will of your hardware is created when you activate. A hardware ID. It's stored on the activation server. When you reinstall and go to activate, the activation server looks for a matching digital ID for your PC. If one is found, it activates. If it doesn't match, it won't activate. In the past this was also tied to the product code used to activate. Now, with a digital entitlement it isn't. The digital entitlement uses a generic key. Installing with that key will not activate if there is no digital entitlement on record for that PC. If you do upgrades to your hardware the ID gets updated to match. Like in the past, you can pretty well swap out anything except the motherboard and not have activation fail. Just don't change to many things all at once.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-10-activation
    Thanks, so installing the unused Windows 7 licenses on a Virtual PC/VMWare/etc. and upgrading would not really do me any good.

    At least I know how the system works. I know in the past when I've reinstalled an OS a few times (replaced the hardware and activated it again) I have had to basically click a box (and once or twice call) to say that I am only using the license on one PC. I wonder if they would go for something similar so I could use those licenses...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    07 Jul 2016 #6
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,612
    Windows 10 IoT

    I don't do anything Virtual PC wise. I just never bothered to try it. In the true spirit of the free offer, I don't think Microsoft intended it to be done on VM's. I'm not judging, just my opinion. I have no idea if it will work, or be worth all the effort. Just my 2 cents.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    08 Jul 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 6
    10, 7, Server 2012, ...
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I don't do anything Virtual PC wise. I just never bothered to try it. In the true spirit of the free offer, I don't think Microsoft intended it to be done on VM's. I'm not judging, just my opinion. I have no idea if it will work, or be worth all the effort. Just my 2 cents.
    That's fair enough.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Will this plan work to "reserve" my free upgrade permanently?
I have 4 retail versions of Win7 running on various machines in my house. I do not really want to upgrade to Win10 yet, but I also don't want to miss out on 4 free upgrades, and the time counting down until 7/29 has been bothering me. But I have a...
General Support
Half RAM allocated to "Hardware Reserve"
Hello everyone. I really hope you can help me. I'm at the end of my rope. First off, my specs: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 mobo AMD FX 8350 CPU 2 x G skill 4 GB sticks EVGA 660 Ti GPU OS on SSD 2 x 1 TB mechanical drives
Performance & Maintenance
Installation Fail "We couldn't update The System Reserve Partition"
This is the 2nd system (my wife's computer) we want to run Windows 10. Currently that system is running windows 7 Pro. The first system system went without a single hitch and it was running windows 7 Pro as well.. The download was complete so I...
Installation and Upgrade
Meaning of the "Defer upgrades" option
Hi In the "Advanced options" of "Windows Update" there is the "Defer upgrades" option. If I select, what happens? Thanks Bye
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved No Option to "Reserve" Windows 10. (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.)
I have just ran and installed all optional Windows Updates, I can confirm that I do have KB3035583 and I meet all system requirements for the operating system. I also meet all of the following points published by Microsoft: I have no hope...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:30.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums