Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    05 Jul 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 61
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    An important question before clean install


    I'm planning on doing clean install of Windows 10 for my PC this weekend. Currently I'm also using W10. I am going to install onto the same hard drive (SSD) as it is currently installed. It will put the older version of W10 into a Windows.old folder which I'm going to back it up to an external hard drive if I ever going to need files from it. Now after that I'll launch a Disk Clean-up to remove previous Windows installations (aka Windows.old) and then I'll remove the older version of W10 from dual boot (if it will be there ofcourse). My question is: are my previously mentioned steps enough to uninstall my older version of W10 and replace it with the new one or will I still have to do something?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    05 Jul 2016 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,983
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    Quote Originally Posted by zablablukas View Post
    I'm planning on doing clean install of Windows 10 for my PC this weekend. Currently I'm also using W10. I am going to install onto the same hard drive (SSD) as it is currently installed. It will put the older version of W10 into a Windows.old folder which I'm going to back it up to an external hard drive if I ever going to need files from it. Now after that I'll launch a Disk Clean-up to remove previous Windows installations (aka Windows.old) and then I'll remove the older version of W10 from dual boot (if it will be there ofcourse). My question is: are my previously mentioned steps enough to uninstall my older version of W10 and replace it with the new one or will I still have to do something?
    Windows will not "uninstall" itself. A clean install will wipe everything from the HDD so be sure to have copied anything you don't want to lose to a different drive. You may also need to save the drivers for devices if you installed any hardware after the initial install of Win10, may have them in the Downloads Folder, that's where mine are.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    05 Jul 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 61
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Windows will not "uninstall" itself. A clean install will wipe everything from the HDD so be sure to have copied anything you don't want to lose to a different drive. You may also need to save the drivers for devices if you installed any hardware after the initial install of Win10, may have them in the Downloads Folder, that's where mine are.
    Ok I'll make sure to back those up aswell. So if a clean install wipes everything I will not need to do any other actions to make sure the old version of W10 is out of my PC after I get rid of the Windows.old folder?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    05 Jul 2016 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,983
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    Right. That's the way I do it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    05 Jul 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 61
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Right. That's the way I do it.
    Gotcha. Thank You for Your time!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    05 Jul 2016 #6
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,983
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    You're welcome.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    05 Jul 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,551
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by zablablukas View Post
    Ok I'll make sure to back those up aswell. So if a clean install wipes everything I will not need to do any other actions to make sure the old version of W10 is out of my PC after I get rid of the Windows.old folder?
    Just to be clear - there won't be a Windows.old folder to get rid of. To do a clean install you erase the entire hard drive before you install Windows 10 to it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    05 Jul 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 61
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Just to be clear - there won't be a Windows.old folder to get rid of. To do a clean install you erase the entire hard drive before you install Windows 10 to it.
    Ok got it. But just out of curiosity. I've already had experience with this back when I was using Windows 7. Does overwritting the current version of Windows and later on deletting the Windows.old folder remove the the previous installation of Windows which you had?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    05 Jul 2016 #9
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,551
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by zablablukas View Post
    Ok got it. But just out of curiosity. I've already had experience with this back when I was using Windows 7. Does overwritting the current version of Windows and later on deletting the Windows.old folder remove the the previous installation of Windows which you had?
    Well, on that partition, yes. But there will likely be remnants of the old OS in other partitions, such as recovery partitions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    06 Jul 2016 #10
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 61
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Well, on that partition, yes. But there will likely be remnants of the old OS in other partitions, such as recovery partitions.
    Can these leftovers damage a PC in any way?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Clean Install Question
I have a slight twist on the clean install question. Could not find a clear answer on the forum or the internets. Win 7 pro computer (homebuilt) 1. Get current win 7 installation up to date and cleaned up. 2. Remove Win 7 OS SSD 3. Put in...
Installation and Upgrade
clean install download question(s)...
so read the tutorials. I want to use the USB stick option. so I download the win 10 using media tool and save it to my computer then move it to the USB stick or can the download be directed to the USB stick? then I would run the install from the...
Installation and Upgrade
Question about a clean install of 10 down the road.
Let's say you either installed windows 10 at least once during the free offer. Can you go back to Seven? Then when Jan 2020 comes along can you download a windows 10 installation and do an upgrade or clean install when windows 7 expires or will...
Installation and Upgrade
Clean Install Question
I read that a clean install rebuilds partitions and makes a recovery partition. My question is does it allow you to pick the size of the partition that Windows 10 is installed to ? I have a 1 terabyte drive but like to install in a 100gig...
Installation and Upgrade
Clean install question.
It's been stated that after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7 or 8 you will be able to do a clean install of Windows 10. Does anyone know yet how this will happen? Will Microsoft provide a link to download the .iso or will it be a case of converting...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums