Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    27 Jun 2016 #11
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 80
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    If your computer came with Windows 10 installed from the factory then the product key is stored in bios/UEFI and Windows setup will not ask you for a product key because it will retrieve it from bios/UEFI. That's why it is not important for you to know it - you won't be asked to enter it.
    Well, someone told me that I'd have to provide it (not sure how) if I did a clean install. I have a DVD with the Win10 .iso file on it for just that purpose. Seemed a lot simpler to use that after a failure than trying to save a system image then trying to restore it with that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    27 Jun 2016 #12
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,409
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Delly10 View Post
    Well, someone told me that I'd have to provide it (not sure how) if I did a clean install. I have a DVD with the Win10 .iso file on it for just that purpose. Seemed a lot simpler to use that after a failure than trying to save a system image then trying to restore it with that.
    The advantage of a system image is that you don't have to restore any of your settings, reload any drivers that Windows does not supply, and don't have to re-install any of your applications/programs.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    27 Jun 2016 #13
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 80
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The advantage of a system image is that you don't have to restore any of your settings, reload any drivers that Windows does not supply, and don't have to re-install any of your applications/programs.
    I know. But I'm having so many problems trying to do it that I just want to go the simpler route. I've started many threads on 2 different websites to get answers about what I'm doing wrong, and it seems like every way I turn leads to another roadblock. I originally intended to create a system image backup and I bought a 64GB flash drive for that purpose. But when I look at the backup options, it gives the option of "Hard drive", but doesn't recognize the flash drive when it's plugged in. Then I'm told I need a product key if I were to simply do a clean install using an .iso file, which means having to download another program in order to see what it is. Then after seeing in the "Backup" section of my computer that I can use a system repair disc from Win7 to do a backup, I thought I was all set since I already have that. Now I'm told I probably can't. All I want to do now is use my computer, but I'm holding off on that in order to keep the size of the image backup down, but yet I have to keep downloading things such as Macrium Reflect just to create any backup media. Macrium takes up over 500MB of space, which is far more than all the bloatware I managed to uninstall.

    To tell you the truth, I'm contemplating not even having a backup anymore. It's already been too much of a hassle.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    27 Jun 2016 #14
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,409
    Windows 10 Pro

    Delly10 - there is an incredibly easy solution. Since you want to use USB flash drives, you will need two of them. You will need one 8 GB in size and one big enough to hold the image of your computer system (your 64 GB flash drive).

    On the 8 GB flash drive create a Windows 10 installation USB using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. You want the option to create installation media for another PC:
    Windows 10

    Once the Media Creation Tool has made the Windows 10 installation USB flash drive for you, then read my quoted note in the middle of the OP to this thread:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Cool little trick with Kyhi's recovery drive: take a standard Windows 10 install USB flash drive, copy the boot.wim file from \sources from Kyhi's recovery drive to the \sources on the Windows 10 install USB flash drive (overwrite the old file). Now your Windows 10 install USB flash drive will boot into Kyhi's recovery drive giving you all those utilities. If you want to install Windows 10, run setup.exe from the USB flash drive from file explorer. Bonus! Two drives in one!
    That 8 GB flash drive will now do everything you could possibly want to do. To get the boot.wim file from Kyhi's recovery drive you download the ISO for it. In Windows 10 you right click on the ISO file and select Mount. A new virtual drive letter will open containing the contents of the ISO file. The boot.wim file is in the sources folder.

    Then you can create a system image of your computer using Macrium Reflect to save the image to your 64GB USB flash drive. If it is formatted as NTFS, Macrium will save the image file as one big file. If the flash drive is formatted as FAT32, it will split the image file into 2 GB chunks.

    The 8 GB flash drive created will do clean installs of Windows 10, it has Macrium Reflect on it to restore the system image from and also create the system image. Running the Windows 10 setup.exe file on it will give you all the recovery tools on a standard Windows 10 recovery USB. It's got MiniTool Partition Wizard to play with your partitions.
    Last edited by NavyLCDR; 29 Jun 2016 at 17:12.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    27 Jun 2016 #15
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 80
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Delly10 - there is an incredibly easy solution. Since you want to use USB flash drives, you will need two of them. You will need one 4 GB in size and one big enough to hold the image of your computer system (your 64 GB flash drive).

    On the 4 GB flash drive create a Windows 10 installation USB using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. You want the option to create installation media for another PC:
    Windows 10

    Once the Media Creation Tool has made the Windows 10 installation USB flash drive for you, then read my quoted note in the middle of the OP to this thread:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums



    That 4 GB flash drive will now do everything you could possibly want to do. To get the boot.wim file from Kyhi's recovery drive you download the ISO for it. In Windows 10 you right click on the ISO file and select Mount. A new virtual drive letter will open containing the contents of the ISO file. The boot.wim file is in the sources folder.

    Then you can create a system image of your computer using Macrium Reflect to save the image to your 64GB USB flash drive. If it is formatted as NTFS, Macrium will save the image file as one big file. If the flash drive is formatted as FAT32, it will split the image file into 2 GB chunks.

    The 4 GB flash drive created will do clean installs of Windows 10, it has Macrium Reflect on it to restore the system image from and also create the system image. Running the Windows 10 setup.exe file on it will give you all the recovery tools on a standard Windows 10 recovery USB. It's got MiniTool Partition Wizard to play with your partitions.
    I currently have a singe 4GB flash drive, but I use that for my daily activities. I guess I have to go out and buy still another one unless this option you're talking about doesn't delete everything I currently have on it. Does it?

    Also, where is the option to create installation media for another PC in the first link you gave? How much of the 4GB drive would it use? I was previously told that I'd need at least 16GB, but it looks like what you're saying is a different way of doing it. I printed out your post and will see if I can follow all of it.

    Another thing: I brought my laptop with me today because I was intending to finally download all the programs I wanted to have. I'm at the public library where they have Wi-fi. If I do that, is there a way to still create a system image backup that doesn't include all those programs? I wanted to keep the size down. Otherwise, I still can't use my computer.

    EDIT: Now I'm using my laptop and have been trying to download and install Macrium Reflect. I downloaded it, but now it won't complete installation. It keeps giving me an error message saying another process is installing and that I have to wait for that one to complete. It's been quite awhile and it's still not allowing me to complete it. Task manager shows there are no other installations taking place. I ended up having to cancel the install. So what other options do I have?
    Last edited by Delly10; 27 Jun 2016 at 15:29.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    27 Jun 2016 #16
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,409
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Delly10 View Post
    I currently have a singe 4GB flash drive, but I use that for my daily activities. I guess I have to go out and buy still another one unless this option you're talking about doesn't delete everything I currently have on it. Does it?
    When the Media Creation Tool creates the Windows 10 USB flash drive it will delete everything existing on the flash drive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Delly10 View Post
    Also, where is the option to create installation media for another PC in the first link you gave?


    You download the tool itself from the link under "Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO". That's what you want to do, create a USB. Then when you run the tool you will get options for upgrade this PC now, or make an installation drive for another PC. You select make it for another PC.

    Quote Originally Posted by Delly10 View Post
    How much of the 4GB drive would it use? I was previously told that I'd need at least 16GB, but it looks like what you're saying is a different way of doing it. I printed out your post and will see if I can follow all of it.
    It will use most of the 4GB - something like 3.85 GB if I remember correctly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Delly10 View Post
    Another thing: I brought my laptop with me today because I was intending to finally download all the programs I wanted to have. I'm at the public library where they have Wi-fi. If I do that, is there a way to still create a system image backup that doesn't include all those programs? I wanted to keep the size down. Otherwise, I still can't use my computer.
    Sort of. A system image will copy everything on the laptop - all installed programs and user data files. What you can do, which is almost as good as making a system image, is make the Windows 10 USB flash drive with the Media Creation Tool on an 8 GB flash drive instead of a 4 GB flash drive. Then make a folder on the flash drive called Drivers (or whatever you want). Then on the laptop right click the start icon (the Windows symbol, left side of taskbar). Select Command Prompt (Admin). In the Command Prompt (Admin) window run:

    dism /online /export-driver /destination:E:\Drivers

    The part in red will be the drive letter of the USB and the folder you created on it. That will copy all the drivers for the laptop that did not come with Windows to the USB flash drive. You know have a flash that you can boot the computer from, do a clean install of Windows 10 from, and re-install any drivers for the hardware that did not come from Microsoft with Windows.

    Quote Originally Posted by Delly10 View Post
    EDIT: Now I'm using my laptop and have been trying to download and install Macrium Reflect. I downloaded it, but now it won't complete installation. It keeps giving me an error message saying another process is installing and that I have to wait for that one to complete. It's been quite awhile and it's still not allowing me to complete it. Task manager shows there are no other installations taking place. I ended up having to cancel the install. So what other options do I have?
    Follow my procedure to make the Windows 10 USB flash drive combined with Kyhi's recovery drive. Boot the computer from the USB flash drive and it will boot into Kyhi's recovery drive which contains Macrium Reflect that you can use to create the image.

    When they say it takes 16 GB to make a recovery drive from the laptop that is because it is saving the Windows installation image, all the extra drivers from the laptop, and all the manufacturer's software that came with the laptop from the factory.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    27 Jun 2016 #17
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 215
    Windows 10 Home

    I personally have given up on the "create an Image" process partly due to the continued updates to Windows and the software that is continually added as time goes on. How many images do you really need. I found it easier to back up my files and programs. One Drive and Google make it easy to access when needed.
    Just burn a Windows10 dvd if that's easier and if you have a dvd drive.
    Windows 12 will be out soon. j/k
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    28 Jun 2016 #18
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 80
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    When the Media Creation Tool creates the Windows 10 USB flash drive it will delete everything existing on the flash drive.



    You download the tool itself from the link under "Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO". That's what you want to do, create a USB. Then when you run the tool you will get options for upgrade this PC now, or make an installation drive for another PC. You select make it for another PC.



    It will use most of the 4GB - something like 3.85 GB if I remember correctly.



    Sort of. A system image will copy everything on the laptop - all installed programs and user data files. What you can do, which is almost as good as making a system image, is make the Windows 10 USB flash drive with the Media Creation Tool on an 8 GB flash drive instead of a 4 GB flash drive. Then make a folder on the flash drive called Drivers (or whatever you want). Then on the laptop right click the start icon (the Windows symbol, left side of taskbar). Select Command Prompt (Admin). In the Command Prompt (Admin) window run:

    dism /online /export-driver /destination:E:\Drivers

    The part in red will be the drive letter of the USB and the folder you created on it. That will copy all the drivers for the laptop that did not come with Windows to the USB flash drive. You know have a flash that you can boot the computer from, do a clean install of Windows 10 from, and re-install any drivers for the hardware that did not come from Microsoft with Windows.



    Follow my procedure to make the Windows 10 USB flash drive combined with Kyhi's recovery drive. Boot the computer from the USB flash drive and it will boot into Kyhi's recovery drive which contains Macrium Reflect that you can use to create the image.

    When they say it takes 16 GB to make a recovery drive from the laptop that is because it is saving the Windows installation image, all the extra drivers from the laptop, and all the manufacturer's software that came with the laptop from the factory.
    I'll try to follow everything you said. But now I need to figure out what exactly "Kyhi's Drive" is. This is just getting to be too complicated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    28 Jun 2016 #19
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 80
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by SonicBlue View Post
    I personally have given up on the "create an Image" process partly due to the continued updates to Windows and the software that is continually added as time goes on. How many images do you really need. I found it easier to back up my files and programs. One Drive and Google make it easy to access when needed.
    Just burn a Windows10 dvd if that's easier and if you have a dvd drive.
    Windows 12 will be out soon. j/k
    That sounds a bit like what I did with my previous computer. I created a system repair disk and an image backup right when I first got it. The image took 4 DVD's. Then my hard drive failed after only a year and I had to replace it. Then I restored my image onto the hard drive, but many features and drivers were missing somehow. It took over 2 months of asking questions to get it working right again--and even then, I had to run it in test mode to make it work right for the next 4 years until it died.

    Now I just bought a Win10 computer and thought things would be so simple. It doesn't even have Windows Word Starter on Excel Starter on it anymore, so now I can't open any of my documents! It looks like there's an option to download them, but I discovered that it's only for a one month trial. I think this will be my last computer. Just not worth the hassle.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    28 Jun 2016 #20

    Quote Originally Posted by Delly10 View Post
    That sounds a bit like what I did with my previous computer. I created a system repair disk and an image backup right when I first got it. The image took 4 DVD's. Then my hard drive failed after only a year and I had to replace it. Then I restored my image onto the hard drive, but many features and drivers were missing somehow. It took over 2 months of asking questions to get it working right again--and even then, I had to run it in test mode to make it work right for the next 4 years until it died.

    Now I just bought a Win10 computer and thought things would be so simple. It doesn't even have Windows Word Starter on Excel Starter on it anymore, so now I can't open any of my documents! It looks like there's an option to download them, but I discovered that it's only for a one month trial. I think this will be my last computer. Just not worth the hassle.
    LibreOffice opens MS Office documents...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Same product key for all?
Ok I decided I would undergo some testing & I whipped out some unused laptops with windows 7 home on them. I upgraded all 5 to windows 10. I used a program called produkey to show me my product key with network disabled for safety. Well it displayed...
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved Same product key on two PCs
Hi there. Within the last two days I upgraded a PC and a laptop to Windows 10 home as part of the free upgrade program. Just noticed tonight that Windows assigned the same product key to each PC. How is that possible? Why would Microsoft do that? I...
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved Can't I just buy a product key?
I know, people think I am mental. Well you are right. I would personally just prefer to buy a product key and/or hard copy of Windows 10. Why can't I find anywhere to do this? Yes I own 3 licensed copies of 8.1 pro
Installation and Upgrade
Product Key
Anyone know how to find the product key for 10?
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved Product Key ?
This is just a question out of curiosity. Did anyone get asked to type in the product key? I saved it to a text file but I don't remember being asked for it when I installed Windows 10.
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums