Windows 10: Moving / recreating EFI partition


  1. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Home x64
       09 Jun 2016 #1

    Moving / recreating EFI partition


    I recently upgraded my laptop with an SSD, moving my older HDD into the optical drive bay. I then installed Windows 10 from a UEFI USB (using the Windows 10 media creation tool), on my SSD (with the HDD also installed). But the problem is the EFI partition is still on my HDD, not the SSD. I would like to move the EFI partition to the SSD, as the HDD I feel might be on the verge of failing.

    Is there a way to either recreate the partition, or move it from my HDD to the SSD?

    I came across this thread (System won't boot after removing second hard drive, EFI? - Page 3 - Windows 7 Help Forums), but it mentions you should remove the HDD first before following the steps. But, because the screws are starting to wear out on my laptop (horrible T5 torx screws), I don't want to be opening it up too many times to insert and remove parts...

    Any help greatly appreciated!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,859
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       09 Jun 2016 #2

    - Boot the computer using the Windows 7/8/8.1/10 installation media.
    - On the first screen, press SHIFT+F10 to bring up the command prompt.
    - Run the following commands at the command prompt.

    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # Note: Select the disk where you want to add the EFI System partition.
    list partition
    select partition # Note: Select the Windows OS partition (# number) or your data partition.
    shrink desired=100
    create partition efi size=100
    format quick fs=fat32
    assign letter=s

    list partition
    list volume Note: Note the volume letter where the Windows OS is installed.
    exit

    bcdboot X:\windows /s S:
    Note: Replace "X" with the volume letter of the Windows OS partition.

    BCDBoot copies the boot files from the Windows partition to the EFI System partition and creates the BCD store in the same partition.

    Remove the Windows installation media and restart the computer into your BIOS settings and set the SSD as the First Boot Device.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Thread Starter
       09 Jun 2016 #3

    Kyhi said: View Post
    - Boot the computer using the Windows 7/8/8.1/10 installation media.
    - On the first screen, press SHIFT+F10 to bring up the command prompt.
    - Run the following commands at the command prompt.

    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # Note: Select the disk where you want to add the EFI System partition.
    list partition
    select partition # Note: Select the Windows OS partition (# number) or your data partition.
    shrink desired=100
    create partition efi size=100
    format quick fs=fat32
    assign letter=s

    list partition
    list volume Note: Note the volume letter where the Windows OS is installed.
    exit

    bcdboot X:\windows /s S:
    Note: Replace "X" with the volume letter of the Windows OS partition.

    BCDBoot copies the boot files from the Windows partition to the EFI System partition and creates the BCD store in the same partition.

    Remove the Windows installation media and restart the computer into your BIOS settings and set the SSD as the First Boot Device.
    Thanks for your help! So after doing this, can I now delete the EFI partition from the other HDD? Is there a concern to worry about setting the SSD partition as active?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Thread Starter
       09 Jun 2016 #4

    quirkyprotein said: View Post
    Thanks for your help! So after doing this, can I now delete the EFI partition from the other HDD? Is there a concern to worry about setting the SSD partition as active?
    For future reference,

    I carried out those commands, but from inside Windows. I then restarted the PC, and booted from the Windows USB installer, and pressed Shift+F10 to bring up a CMD when the installer had begun. I then used diskpart to 'clean' the disk with the old EFI partition. (diskpart > list disk > select disk X > clean). And then simply restarted the PC, and all was fine!

    Many thanks for the help!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    26 Aug 2016 #5

    Same problem but cannot copy boot files


    Hi,

    this post seems to be exactly what i need to fix my problem.
    after installing a SSd and migrating windows 10 on it, i tried to remove my old HD and windows would't boot. i realized that the EFI partition was still showing on the old HD but not on my new SSD.
    i followed your instructions to create a new EFI partition on the SSD but when i type the bcdboot X:\windows /s S: i get a "failure when attemting to copy boot files" message. (i replace the X with C which is the volume of the SSD where windows is)
    can you help me?


    Kyhi said: View Post
    - Boot the computer using the Windows 7/8/8.1/10 installation media.
    - On the first screen, press SHIFT+F10 to bring up the command prompt.
    - Run the following commands at the command prompt.

    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # Note: Select the disk where you want to add the EFI System partition.
    list partition
    select partition # Note: Select the Windows OS partition (# number) or your data partition.
    shrink desired=100
    create partition efi size=100
    format quick fs=fat32
    assign letter=s

    list partition
    list volume Note: Note the volume letter where the Windows OS is installed.
    exit

    bcdboot X:\windows /s S:
    Note: Replace "X" with the volume letter of the Windows OS partition.

    BCDBoot copies the boot files from the Windows partition to the EFI System partition and creates the BCD store in the same partition.

    Remove the Windows installation media and restart the computer into your BIOS settings and set the SSD as the First Boot Device.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 64bit
       29 Aug 2016 #6

    stark said: View Post
    Hi,

    this post seems to be exactly what i need to fix my problem.
    after installing a SSd and migrating windows 10 on it, i tried to remove my old HD and windows would't boot. i realized that the EFI partition was still showing on the old HD but not on my new SSD.
    i followed your instructions to create a new EFI partition on the SSD but when i type the bcdboot X:\windows /s S: i get a "failure when attemting to copy boot files" message. (i replace the X with C which is the volume of the SSD where windows is)
    can you help me?
    I have the same problem. Windows boot manager is on wrong hard drive. Can not move it...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 64bit
       29 Aug 2016 #7

    stark said: View Post
    Hi,

    this post seems to be exactly what i need to fix my problem.
    after installing a SSd and migrating windows 10 on it, i tried to remove my old HD and windows would't boot. i realized that the EFI partition was still showing on the old HD but not on my new SSD.
    i followed your instructions to create a new EFI partition on the SSD but when i type the bcdboot X:\windows /s S: i get a "failure when attemting to copy boot files" message. (i replace the X with C which is the volume of the SSD where windows is)
    can you help me?
    Hey! I figured it out myself. Remember to replace the X with the volume you have the boot manager at the moment, ie the HDD. (The wrong one). It is like reading that information and copying it to the volume S: (in this example). I hope you understand my explanation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hi 10forums, I've been finding this hard to describe and search for so I'm just going to upload a .gif to illustrate my problem. 81615 I want to stop the window moving back onto the screen when the mouse is against the screen edge. Does...
So I'm having a lot of trouble doing my Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade (long story, other threads here), and then I realized that if I screwed up, I could damage my Windows partition :mad:, which also contains like 100+ GB of installed programs (but no...
Hello everyone, This is my very first post to this forum, so please don't bite my head off if my question has been answered already or if it's in the wrong section. :o So, I've had this 1Tb HDD lying around unused, so I had the bright idea of...
Solved Recreating RAID 5 Array AMD in Drivers and Hardware
I updated to Windows 10 Pro with a clean install and had issues with my RAID array showing up as raw format. I was able to take a backup of it from my W7 drive then rebooted into W10 deleted the array in Disk Management, deleted the array in the...
I currently have one drive that contains a System Reserved partition (which includes the boot files). The status is System, Active, Primary Partition. I have another drive with the C: partition. The status is Boot, Page File, Active, Crash...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:49.
Find Us