Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    02 Jun 2016 #11
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by tengeezer View Post
    Alright peeps, I've found some info regarding this. Apparently, it is NOT allowed to install a fresh copy without a valid license:

    No more Windows 10 keys for Insiders; post-RTM installs must be on previously activated PCs

    According to this article, Gabe Aul says, "New Insiders can't activate a clean install unless they've upgraded from 7/8 first, or own a 10 key."
    You original question was:
    Just checking, on my second computer (which is currently Win 7), I'm also looking to install Windows 10 Insider for free - is this still possible, just as I did last year?

    Many thanks.


    The answer to the question that you asked is still YES. You have to use your Windows 7 license, in the form of a COA product key or a genuineticket.xml file in order to active the Windows 10 insider preview - and doing that before July 29th is still free.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    02 Jun 2016 #12
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 74
    7/10
    Thread Starter

    Yes, but as I clarified in the thread, I'm looking into doing a dual boot.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    02 Jun 2016 #13
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by tengeezer View Post
    Yes, but as I clarified in the thread, I'm looking into doing a dual boot.
    It's still legal so long as the second installation of Windows is not activated. You will have reduced functionality (no personalization) and nag screen pop-ups to activate Windows 10.

    Once you gain a digital entitlement for that computer, though, by activating Windows 10, it will be hard to run Windows 10 non-activated. So, if it were my computer what I would do is install Windows 10, activate it with the Windows 7 product key or genuineticket.xml file so that you gain the digital entitlement before July 29th. Then move that Windows 10 to a virtual machine under Windows 7, which should be seen as a "different" computer and lose activation. That way you could legally run Windows 7 and "preview" Windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    02 Jun 2016 #14
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 74
    7/10
    Thread Starter

    I think I understand. To confirm - you're saying that it's totally legal to install a fresh instance of a non licensed Windows 10 insider preview? (Whilst accepting the lack of features / nag screen).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    02 Jun 2016 #15
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by tengeezer View Post
    I think I understand. To confirm - you're saying that it's totally legal to install a fresh instance of a non licensed Windows 10 insider preview? (Whilst accepting the lack of features / nag screen).
    Yep. That's why Microsoft built it to operate without activation the way that it does.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    03 Jun 2016 #16
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 74
    7/10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Yep. That's why Microsoft built it to operate without activation the way that it does.
    Great, thanks.

    Let's go one step further. Could one, in theory, legally clone one's activated Win10 Insider preview hard drive, to multiple hard drives?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    03 Jun 2016 #17
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    As long as they were not activated - or were activated on different computers that had a Windows license available for use.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    03 Jun 2016 #18
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 74
    7/10
    Thread Starter

    Thanks for your help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    04 Jun 2016 #19
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6,451
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    It's still legal so long as the second installation of Windows is not activated. You will have reduced functionality (no personalization) and nag screen pop-ups to activate Windows 10.

    Once you gain a digital entitlement for that computer, though, by activating Windows 10, it will be hard to run Windows 10 non-activated. So, if it were my computer what I would do is install Windows 10, activate it with the Windows 7 product key or genuineticket.xml file so that you gain the digital entitlement before July 29th. Then move that Windows 10 to a virtual machine under Windows 7, which should be seen as a "different" computer and lose activation. That way you could legally run Windows 7 and "preview" Windows 10.
    I accept this is true for the release versions - however the EULAs for Insider versions are different. Do we have enough knowledge to categorically say this applies to Insider versions?

    In fact, I have seen responses on other forums from MS that actually recommend doing it as dual boot (or vm) as OP would like (cannot prove this though with a link).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    04 Jun 2016 #20
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    I accept this is true for the release versions - however the EULAs for Insider versions are different. Do we have enough knowledge to categorically say this applies to Insider versions?

    In fact, I have seen responses on other forums from MS that actually recommend doing it as dual boot (or vm) as OP would like (cannot prove this though with a link).
    True, you might be right.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Windows 10 Insider Preview 14291. Wont complete install.
Hi I am trying to upgade to the latest "fast" build. Windows 10 Insider Preview 14291. Everything goes well until the install starts. the % wheel does its thing and then goes for one of several restarts. I then get a blank (black) screen...
Windows Insider
Solved Clean install Windows 10 says insider preview
Admin please delete this post
Windows Updates and Activation
How to clean install latest Win 10 pro X64 Insider Preview
I am now running Win 10 build 11099.rs1_release.160109-1156 I am having a few problems with "Sleep" (takes 30 seconds before icons are usable) and "Windows Store" downloads don't always work. ie ABC NEWS (installs but won't open. I have been an...
Installation and Upgrade
Windows 10 Insider Build - Fresh Install, Product Key Help
Hi All, Ok to cut a long story short, I was running the Insider Preview Build on a Virtual Machine, I decided to blat my laptop and install the insider preview on it instead day before official release. It built okay, but didnt like my insider...
Windows Insider
Windows Insider Preview (10162) will not install
Hi - I have an older HP laptop ( 4 GB RAM, a 2.26 GHz 2 Core CPU, Windows 7.1 Home Premium which is up to date, the Get Windows 10 app is successfully installed). I checked with the app to ensure that my laptop could run Windows 10 (it can). ...
Windows Insider
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums