Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    18 May 2016 #1
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    California, USA
    Posts : 158
    Windows 10 Pro

    How to interpret setupact.log and setuperr.log from failed W10 install


    Are there any tools that help pinpoint the real errors as opposed to all the "noise".

    My setuperr file is "only" 65KB but the setupact file is, and I'm not making this up, 32,866 KB. Is a setupact file that big a "good thing" or a "really, really bad thing?"

    I'm asking becuase the error messages from Windows are useful to identify the issues.

    Following a suggestion from an earlier reply in one of my threads, I ran sfc /scannow, and the result was no issues.

    Thanks,

    x509
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    18 May 2016 #2
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,878
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Wouldn't it be best for you if you asked the experts of Windows 7 at Windows 7 forum ?

    Please use this link to our 7 forum :
    http://www.sevenforums.com/
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    19 May 2016 #3
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,931
    W10Prox64

    Hi.
    You can open the setuperr.log in notepad and have a look at the error codes, and start Googling them one by one. That's what I do.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    19 May 2016 #4
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    California, USA
    Posts : 158
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    Wouldn't it be best for you if you asked the experts of Windows 7 at Windows 7 forum ?

    Please use this link to our 7 forum :
    http://www.sevenforums.com/
    OK, I will do that. Thanks.

    x509
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    19 May 2016 #5
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    California, USA
    Posts : 158
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Hi.
    You can open the setuperr.log in notepad and have a look at the error codes, and start Googling them one by one. That's what I do.
    I have been doing that, but the results have been surprisingly unhelpful. That's why I posted this question. If I get a BSOD for example, and I google the code, I get good specific results and I know just what to do.

    Just for grins I looked at the setuperr.log file on my Lenovo laptop, which upgraded to Win 10 Pro 64 no problems first time. That setuperr.log file was also 64 KB, and was filled with the same kinds of errors as the setuperr.log file on my desktop where the Win 10 upgrade failed.

    Thank you Microsoft.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    19 May 2016 #6
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,931
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by x509 View Post
    I have been doing that, but the results have been surprisingly unhelpful. That's why I posted this question. If I get a BSOD for example, and I google the code, I get good specific results and I know just what to do.

    Just for grins I looked at the setuperr.log file on my Lenovo laptop, which upgraded to Win 10 Pro 64 no problems first time. That setuperr.log file was also 64 KB, and was filled with the same kinds of errors as the setuperr.log file on my desktop where the Win 10 upgrade failed.

    Thank you Microsoft.
    Why don't you post it here and we can have a look?
    Where did the upgrade fail on your desktop (at what point)?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    19 May 2016 #7
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    California, USA
    Posts : 158
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Why don't you post it here and we can have a look?
    Where did the upgrade fail on your desktop (at what point)?
    The entire 64 KB file???

    I wasn't watching my display the entire time the upgrade was proceeding, so I'll repeat the upgrade and post the setuperr.log from that upgrade once I know the right way to do that. The last setuperr.log file was 305 lines. I know that because I imported that file into Excel.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    19 May 2016 #8
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,931
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by x509 View Post
    The entire 64 KB file???
    Yeah, probably upload to onedrive/dropbox/pastebin, etc. and provide link.

    Quote Originally Posted by x509 View Post
    I wasn't watching my display the entire time the upgrade was proceeding, so I'll repeat the upgrade and post the setuperr.log from that upgrade once I know the right way to do that. The last setuperr.log file was 305 lines. I know that because I imported that file into Excel.
    Okay, if you haven't started yet:

    You said SFC /SCANNOW completed with "no integrity violations found", right?

    Uninstall the Comcast/Norton AV; also any HDD/system monitoring programs (i.e. Speccy)
    If you've moved your libraries, move them back (just the pointers for now, not the data)
    Disconnect all HDDs except OS
    Disconnect all peripherals except mouse, keyboard and monitor (use wired if you can)

    Download the Media Creation Tool; make an ISO; save to desktop. Use 7-Zip to extract the files to desktop. Double-click setup.exe to begin the upgrade.

    (Ref. tutorial here Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums )

    Pay attention at what point it fails - there are three parts:


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upgrade-3parts.PNG 
Views:	23 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	80634

    If it's a failure during the first part, it's usually drivers. If it fails right at the very end, it's usually because it failed to make the recovery "go back".
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    19 May 2016 #9
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    California, USA
    Posts : 158
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Yeah, probably upload to onedrive/dropbox/pastebin, etc. and provide link.



    Okay, if you haven't started yet:

    You said SFC /SCANNOW completed with "no integrity violations found", right?

    Uninstall the Comcast/Norton AV; also any HDD/system monitoring programs (i.e. Speccy)
    If you've moved your libraries, move them back (just the pointers for now, not the data)
    Disconnect all HDDs except OS
    Disconnect all peripherals except mouse, keyboard and monitor (use wired if you can)

    Download the Media Creation Tool; make an ISO; save to desktop. Use 7-Zip to extract the files to desktop. Double-click setup.exe to begin the upgrade.

    (Ref. tutorial here Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums )

    Pay attention at what point it fails - there are three parts:


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upgrade-3parts.PNG 
Views:	23 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	80634

    If it's a failure during the first part, it's usually drivers. If it fails right at the very end, it's usually because it failed to make the recovery "go back".
    All good stuff. I will have to open up my system unit and unplug a bunch of cables, etc, plus do some software uninstalls, etc, so I might not get to this before the weekend, but I am HIGHLY motivated.

    I really appreciate this.
    I only hope I can give back to all the other guys on this board as much.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    19 May 2016 #10
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,931
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by x509 View Post
    All good stuff. I will have to open up my system unit and unplug a bunch of cables, etc, plus do some software uninstalls, etc, so I might not get to this before the weekend, but I am HIGHLY motivated.

    I really appreciate this.
    I only hope I can give back to all the other guys on this board as much.
    No problem. Take your time. We'll be around.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
How to interpret the Task Manager stats
I am trying to figure out where is the bottleneck in my system, namely disk I/O or CPU, for my video editng tasks. I newly loaded Win 10 Pro on a SSD drive, but found no difference in the final encoding performance, whether I put all the Video...
Performance & Maintenance
Make sort by name interpret 0002 < 001 etc
Good day! Is there anyway to get this? I was so sure this was how sort by name really worked but it's not even the case in windows 7. I need to name certain files in the same folder in order 0001, 0002, 0003 and so on and then 001, 002, 003, 004...
Customization
Two dimensional interface harder to interpret?
Does anyone else feel that the "new" (old?) two-dimensional feel of Windows 10 makes it a bit harder to interpret where one window ends and another begins when there are multiple windows/dialogues stacked on top of each other?
General Support
Solved over 40 failed Windows 10 install from 8.1 pro
I am trying to upgrade my "office" computer from windows 8.1 pro with all the latest updates to Windows 10 using the upgrade app from the task bar notification area and it keeps failing. I have several error codes of which ill list. One of them I...
Installation and Upgrade
How to install failed updates?
Hi, I have win 10 build 10240 and I noticed that I have two failed updates and one successful one: 25054 How do I get the system to reinstall the failed updates? I pressed the "Check for updates" button, but it tells me my system is up to...
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums