1.    07 May 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 24
    Windows 10

    Dual Booting


    Hello,

    I am trying to do a dual boot with windows 10 on my main drive, then Linux on my other one. The one with Windows 10 is a SATA. And the other drive I will be putting Linux on is a IDE drive.

    Can someone let me know what is the best configuration is for this kind of set up?

    (If I posted this in the wrong section, Admin can move this thread please.)
    Thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    07 May 2016 #2
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 1
    10

    thx
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    07 May 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 24
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiwagon2533 View Post
    thx
    thanks for what??
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    08 May 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,603
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Afees98 View Post
    Hello,

    I am trying to do a dual boot with windows 10 on my main drive, then Linux on my other one. The one with Windows 10 is a SATA. And the other drive I will be putting Linux on is a IDE drive.

    Can someone let me know what is the best configuration is for this kind of set up?

    (If I posted this in the wrong section, Admin can move this thread please.)
    Thanks!
    The way I do it may help you.
    I install each OS on separate drives while the other(s) are physically disconnected so there is no chance of one messing with others boot. After connecting both drives (it doesn't matter if they are IDE or SATA), drive with windows is made first BOOT device. After that, I install: EasyBCD 2.3 Download - TechSpot and with it's help make BOOT menu that shows before BOOT is continued and lets me choose which OS to BOOT to.
    There are other ways to make that BOOT menu like from command prompt but this is easiest, fastest and more fool proof. Could also be done by adding a line to BCD thru msconfig.
    There's also HW way to do it if your computer BIOS has an option to choose boot device thru a button (on mine it's F12).
    Hope that helps.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    08 May 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,808
    10 Pro

    It would be interesting to know details of your PC is, specifically if it boots through UEFI or not. EFI and the old BIOS require different strategies. You could fill them in as described here System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

    Mine boots using EFI and I use rEFInd as the EFI bootoader which will find anything bootable on any drive (internal, external, USB key, SD card etc). Arch Linux requires a few changes to the config file, all other Linux varients I've tried are picked up automatically as are Windows and OSX.

    If you have an older machine then you can add Linux to your Windows boot loader as described by Mike or use Grub both of which are (IMO) a bit more complicated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    08 May 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,603
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by lx07 View Post
    It would be interesting to know details of your PC is, specifically if it boots through UEFI or not. EFI and the old BIOS require different strategies. You could fill them in as described here System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

    Mine boots using EFI and I use rEFInd as the EFI bootoader which will find anything bootable on any drive (internal, external, USB key, SD card etc). Arch Linux requires a few changes to the config file, all other Linux varients I've tried are picked up automatically as are Windows and OSX.

    If you have an older machine then you can add Linux to your Windows boot loader as described by Mike or use Grub both of which are (IMO) a bit more complicated.
    With an IDE port and drive it's highly unlikely it has UEFI.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    08 May 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,808
    10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    With an IDE port and drive it's highly unlikely it has UEFI.
    Good point. If not then GRUB or fiddling with the Windows boot manager (as you said) is the option.

    Let us see what the OP says.

    EFI is much easier....
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
dual booting
Hi. I would like to dual booting windows 7 and windows 10. I would like install W10 on a second hd. Is that possible? My PC has an additional drive bay, which I would install W10. I really do not understand about the licensing agreement. How...
Installation and Upgrade
Dual Booting with windows 10
I have both windows 7 and 8 installed and reboot to switch from one to the other. If I upgraded one of the windows installations to windows 10; will it affect the installation of the other? In other words, will I still be able to dual boot? I'm...
Installation and Upgrade
Dual booting windows 7 and 10
I have just upgraded windows 7 to windows 10... I've bought a new ssd to install windows 10, but it was installed over my windows 7(in the old ssd) in the process.... Articles in this forum say that you cannot dual boot windows 7 and windows 10,...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Dual Booting with Windows 8.1
Hi, I have the ESD for Windows 10 built 10240 . I need to clean install it on a different drive and dual boot it with Windows 8.1. Can I simply boot with the 10 ISO (in UEFI boot) and clean install it on a different drive? Would I then be...
Installation and Upgrade
Dual Booting
Hi, I've decided that I would like to dual boot Windows 10 TP (I know im late to the game) Now ive done dual booting before, but I was wondering if its any different, as my system has change to include a SSD which just has windows 7 and a HDD...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums