Windows 10: How do I upgrade to W10 current release and Keep W7 on the same disk? Solved


  1. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       25 Mar 2015 #1

    How do I upgrade to W10 current release and Keep W7 on the same disk?


    How do I upgrade from W7 to W10 current release and Keep W7 on the same disk?

    I have mini-partition wizard
    I have Macrum Reflect free image backup
    I also have access to Gparted.
    I am downloading the iso now.

    I do know I have to restore the Windows mbr using the usb disk I create from the iso. Otherwise, it won't install with grub loaded. Here is a screen shot of mini-partition wizard.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic222.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	15394




    That last time I tried this, I couldn't get windows 7 to boot at all, it had a bunch of errors. I was able to switch partition to get back to windows 10. There was something I did wrong or windows 10 did wrong. I am thinking that Windows 10 was using windows 7 mbr and that why I couldn't loaded windows 7.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    25 Mar 2015 #2

    When you install Win10 on the same physical drive as Win7 or Win8, it will overwrite the boot loader info to replace the earlier stuff with Win10 stuff -- at least, that's what has happened in my cases. You might be able to create a Win7 Repair CD using the Backup function in Win7 -- but there is the possibility that it's going to create that CD from the boot loader files that have already been replaced.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    25 Mar 2015 #3

    Did you try to create a new partition and install Win10 on that?? It worked for me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 4,333
    Win 10 Pro x64
       25 Mar 2015 #4

    groze said: View Post
    How do I upgrade from W7 to W10 current release and Keep W7 on the same disk?

    I have mini-partition wizard
    I have Macrum Reflect free image backup
    I also have access to Gparted.
    I am downloading the iso now.

    I do know I have to restore the Windows mbr using the usb disk I create from the iso. Otherwise, it won't install with grub loaded. Here is a screen shot of mini-partition wizard.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic222.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	15394




    That last time I tried this, I couldn't get windows 7 to boot at all, it had a bunch of errors. I was able to switch partition to get back to windows 10. There was something I did wrong or windows 10 did wrong. I am thinking that Windows 10 was using windows 7 mbr and that why I couldn't loaded windows 7.
    You are trying to triple boot. It's doable but it won't be a walk in the park. Yours is more of a Linux forum topic and not windows. If that linux isn't there, it will be easier.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       25 Mar 2015 #5

    Mark Phelps said: View Post
    When you install Win10 on the same physical drive as Win7 or Win8, it will overwrite the boot loader info to replace the earlier stuff with Win10 stuff -- at least, that's what has happened in my cases. You might be able to create a Win7 Repair CD using the Backup function in Win7 -- but there is the possibility that it's going to create that CD from the boot loader files that have already been replaced.
    I haven't install windows 10 yet.




    Here is what I did that last time. (Some steps may be missing or not complete)
    Windows 7 boot disk, restore the windows 7 boot manager
    Ran mini-partition wizard. Deleted the Linux swap partition, so windows won't have a cow in seeing over four partitions and so I could reboot or partition wizard could reboot if needed.
    Shrunk the partition to around 30 gigs
    rebooted
    Copied the partition to the empty space
    moved 2nd partition, so the 2nd primary partition would be around 100 gb
    Created the Linux swap partition back.
    Resized the windows 7 partition back using windows disk manager
    switched to 2nd primary partition and upgrade windows 7 copy to windows 10,
    Windows 10 installed and was working,
    Windows 7 was still installed but not working.
    I re-installed grub, that still didn't fix the issue.


    If I am understanding you correctly,

    I need to do this before I install windows 10.
    bootrec /fixboot using the windows 7 rescue cd
    bootrec /fixmbr

    Then after windows 10 install,
    Run the windows 10 installation again
    I think hit shift+f10 when the install dialog pops up.
    the do
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr

    That should restore the windows 10.

    Now reboot using the windows 7 disk
    Activate the windows 7 partition and then do
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr

    Please, correct me if there is a better way.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       25 Mar 2015 #6

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    Did you try to create a new partition and install Win10 on that?? It worked for me.
    Yes, bunnyj that works but what I want to do is an upgrade but at the sametime keep windows 7. I just wanted to test all my software I have installed.


    badrobot said: View Post
    You are trying to triple boot. It's doable but it won't be a walk in the park. Yours is more of a Linux forum topic and not windows. If that linux isn't there, it will be easier.
    @Brink
    Am I allowed to link to this thread over at pchelpforums? Should I ask there?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 20,791
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
       25 Mar 2015 #7

    groze said: View Post
    @Brink
    Am I allowed to link to this thread over at pchelpforums? Should I ask there?
    @groze,

    Of course.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Favourite Current TV Shows in Chillout Room
Apart from being on the PC the TV is another thing I spend to much time watching As a big Stephen King fan I was pleased to see the start of Series/Season 2 of Under the Dome start this week (not sure if its finished or not in the US now) I...
This isn't a request for help just a heads-up. The Line 6 POD Studio UX2 audio interface does not work with Windows 10. The latest available version of the driver is 4.2.7.1 and it hails from 2013. Despite being listed for Windows 10 in the...
I haven't been on my Windows 10 Build 10074 install for a few days now and when I check for new builds it doesn't show anything available. Windows Update is set for the slow ring and I was just wondering if all the newer builds are only available...
Are you going to get windows 10 release or keep your current os or something else.
Hi there I think people who want to try the leaked build 9901 on a VM will be disappointed -- attempting to install from the ISO on either WKS 10.0.4 or WKS 11 causes message at boot --error in virtual CPU caused the VM to fail. (VMware...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08.
Find Us