Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    05 May 2016 #11
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 12
    windows 7
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Hi mjz and welcome to Tenforums.
    This is indeed strange. Something is preventing the upgrade.
    First of all, please use this to grab your W7 keycode:
    Showkey Plus
    Next, you said you have an image, right?
    Some things to do to prepare for an upgrade are:


    • If you have moved your user file pointers to another drive, move them back.
    • Uninstall any 3rd-party anti-virus, and all disk/hardware monitoring tools (i.e. Speccy),
    • Did you run sfc /scannow before trying the upgrade? (not sure what will happen if you run it now, but you could try it and see.)
    • Disconnect everything except OS drive, mouse, keyboard and monitor.


    Try a reboot and see if that helps the upgrade to proceed.
    Hi Simrick - thanks for asking.

    I tried all you listed here including sfc/scannow. The scan came back normal, no issues.
    I disconnected the external hard drives. The only anti-virus code I use is from microsoft (msessentials).

    I should indicate that the very first time I ran the windows 10 upgrade it did try to install and got to 87% where it hung for over 24 hours. I restarted the computer and that triggered my issues. I should have mentioned this earlier, but didn't think of it since I restored my windows system from a saved image made a day or two earlier.

    I do have rainmeter running (monitors my disks) - but can't imagine that effecting install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    05 May 2016 #12
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,996
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by mjz View Post
    Hi Simrick - thanks for asking.

    I tried all you listed here including sfc/scannow. The scan came back normal, no issues.
    I disconnected the external hard drives. The only anti-virus code I use is from microsoft (msessentials).

    I should indicate that the very first time I ran the windows 10 upgrade it did try to install and got to 87% where it hung for over 24 hours. I restarted the computer and that triggered my issues. I should have mentioned this earlier, but didn't think of it since I restored my windows system from a saved image made a day or two earlier.

    I do have rainmeter running (monitors my disks) - but can't imagine that effecting install.
    If sfc returned clean, then MS Security Essentials must be removed, as well as Rainmeter. (Even Speccy causes problems with W10 upgrades).

    So you restored from an image after the failed upgrade? Can you do it again? I mean, if removing MSSE and Rainmeter don't do it, can we go back to the image, and then remove the software in question, follow my steps in #4, and then try an in-place upgrade?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    05 May 2016 #13
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 12
    windows 7
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    If sfc returned clean, then MS Security Essentials must be removed, as well as Rainmeter. (Even Speccy causes problems with W10 upgrades).

    So you restored from an image after the failed upgrade? Can you do it again? I mean, if removing MSSE and Rainmeter don't do it, can we go back to the image, and then remove the software in question, follow my steps in #4, and then try an in-place upgrade?
    I can try it again (per your suggestions) ... but just to be clear in my mind - what is windows update doing that it expects to install windows 10 on reboot, but doesn't? Is there not a way to "reset" window update so that it is not expecting to update to windows 10? I mean windows 10 did try to update once from scracth and MS essentials and rainmeter were running.
    Last edited by mjz; 05 May 2016 at 14:41. Reason: additional info
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    05 May 2016 #14
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,996
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by mjz View Post
    I can try it again (per your suggestions) ... but just to be clear in my mind - what is windows update doing that it expects to install windows 10 on reboot, but doesn't? Is there not a way to "reset" window update so that it is not expecting to update to windows 10? I mean windows 10 did try to update once from scracth and MS essentials and rainmeter were running.
    IDK - could even be a registry setting - I really don't know. But the fact that it was interrupted is the problem. I think Windows makes 7 "passes" when installing, each pass installing a certain portion of the OS. Somewhere it knows it hasn't completed all the passes, hasn't failed either, and is trying to resume. It has to trip that failure switch, or go on.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    05 May 2016 #15
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,996
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by mjz View Post
    ....
    I should indicate that the very first time I ran the windows 10 upgrade it did try to install and got to 87% where it hung for over 24 hours. I restarted the computer and that triggered my issues. I should have mentioned this earlier, but didn't think of it since I restored my windows system from a saved image made a day or two earlier.
    I had a system that would not take the latest build - hung at 92/93% every time. I even let it go overnight; no joy. Finally ended up troubleshooting that I had failing USB port(s) and that is what stopped it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    07 May 2016 #16
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 12
    windows 7
    Thread Starter

    I tried to do a clean install of windows 10 from a USB stick to upgrade my current windows 7 computer. The loader would not proceed past the product key. I used the same product key from windows 7 and it would not accept it.

    At this point, I am unable to do an upgrade install (via windows update) or clean install via windows 10 downloaded to a usb stick.

    My computer remains "stuck" at the "restart to begin windows 10 install" pop up window. Of course restarts don't do anything but bring up the restart to install pop up.

    I'll leave it the way it is (since windows 7 works), but there will be no updates to windows 7.

    I do wish there was a way to reset windows update so it has no knowledge of the windows 10 install attempt.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    07 May 2016 #17
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,996
    W10Prox64
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    07 May 2016 #18
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 275
    Windows 10 Home

    Why don't you try the link I posted? It's a way to upgrade to Windows 10 with a clean install. Just read it through and make sure you understand everything before you try. If you have any questions, just ask. I never tried it myself but I have read many people that did, and it works.

    Before you try the upgrade make a complete backup of your hard drive with Macrium Reflect Free. That way if something goes wrong you can restore your hard drive with the image. Don't forget to make the recovery USB or DVD. You will need it for the recovery.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    11 May 2016 #19
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 12
    windows 7
    Thread Starter

    I tried the link that was poted (TrustMe) and it ran, and now I have a different problem:
    "Windows can't update important files and services while the system is using them...restart the computer". Restarting the computer doesn't resolve the problem ...

    I tried mr. Fixit - but it doesn't resolve the problem either.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    11 May 2016 #20
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,996
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by mjz View Post
    I tried the link that was poted (TrustMe) and it ran, and now I have a different problem:
    "Windows can't update important files and services while the system is using them...restart the computer". Restarting the computer doesn't resolve the problem ...

    I tried mr. Fixit - but it doesn't resolve the problem either.
    Please check in your root ( C:\ ) drive, showing hidden files, look for a folder named $WINDOWS.~BT.
    Find the sub-folder Sources. In the Sources folder, look for the file install.esd. Let me know if you have that file. If not, see if you have it in the $Windows.~WS folder or subfolder. If not Please copy the $Windows.~WS\Sources\Panther\setuperr.log file to your desktop, then paste it here.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 Fresh Installs
Hoping that someone has worked this out. I manage over 100 laptops. We use W10 Home on the laptops because the laptops are not on the domain at HQ. When I have an out of warranty HDD failure, I want to swap the old HDD with an SSD and perform a...
Installation and Upgrade
Windows 10 partition installs?
I have windows 10 build 1511 on a USB stick made by windows media creation tool now when install windows the drive has zero partitions. When i install the copy from the USB stick i end up with 3 partitions one is 450MB (recovery partition) and...
Installation and Upgrade
After 53 million installs, Windows 10 takes 4.95% of the market
http://www.neowin.net/news/after-53-million-installs-windows-10-takes-495-of-the-market?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter quite a good start :)
Windows 10 News
3 Major Issues With Windows 10 Installs
Like the title says Im having 3 huge bugs with my windows 10 upgrade and I would like to find if anyone can help. 1.) On my laptop I have a mic plugged into a 3.5 mm combo port. I have the reltech 6.01 driver installed and as far as I can...
General Support
Windows 10 installs as Home on an 8.1 Pro machine. How to fix?????
My laptop was running 8.1 Pro. Did all the normal stuff to reserve 10, etc. It showed up in Windows Updates on the 29th, so I installed it. Installation went fine, except Windows 10 came up as the Home edition, not Pro!!!!!! Any idea if I can...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:01.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums