Windows 10: Upgrading Windows 7 SP1 to Windows 10 without Win10 drivers Solved

  1.    30 Apr 2016 #1

    Upgrading Windows 7 SP1 to Windows 10 without Win10 drivers


    I have upgraded several PC's to Windows 10 and I am down to my last 3 that are Windows 7-era machines.

    Two are home-built PC's running Windows 7 SP1 64bit and 32 bit. In this case the motherboard manufacturers have no windows 8 or 10 drivers. So no chipset, on-board audio, or Ethernet drivers, etc. The video cards are more current so I can get those.

    The Dell is an older laptop that is running windows 7 SP1 that I fresh-installed upon receipt. Again, no Windows 10 drivers or support for that either on the Dell site. So "not certified" to upgrade to windows 10.

    I have read both success and failures when trying to just let the upgrade find drivers or just use the old drivers. My question is if you are an experienced user, is there a good possibility of success upgrading this way or is it not worth the hassle? Now the hardware will pass the minimum requirements so my fear is someone will just click on the "upgrade icon" and it will happen when I am not around anyway.

    Thanks for any thoughts or experiences.

    BJB

    PS. How do you access your "auto-saved" posts. I lost the whole post while typing and it was "auto-saved" but could not see where to access it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    30 Apr 2016 #2

    I would suggest: before you upgrade, make an image of the existing hard drive with Macrium Reflect free. You'll need an external USB hard drive large enough to hold the image which will be about 80-90% in size of the used space on you existing hard drive. Also make a Macrium Reflect free rescue USB flash drive, DVD or CD.

    Do the in place upgrade. Personally, almost all of us regular members here prefer to use a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD created from Media Creation Tool or from an ISO from Microsoft Tech Bench. But you can try the Windows update Get Windows X icon.

    After the upgrade, you hopefully will not have any unknown devices or exclamation points in device manager. After the upgrade, I would export the third party drivers using the DISM /Export-Driver command so that you will have them if you decide to do a clean install after the upgrade.

    The oldest computer I have upgraded is an Acer Aspire One that originally came with Windows XP from Acer and it is running great on Windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    30 Apr 2016 #3

    Hi,

    After the upgrade, you hopefully will not have any unknown devices or exclamation points in device manager
    If that's the case as it can often be, I suggest firing up device manager and let Windows search online for an appropriate driver for the device (s). That often works in most cases but unfortunately not all.

    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    30 Apr 2016 #4

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    I would suggest: before you upgrade, make an image of the existing hard drive with Macrium Reflect free. You'll need an external USB hard drive large enough to hold the image which will be about 80-90% in size of the used space on you existing hard drive. Also make a Macrium Reflect free rescue USB flash drive, DVD or CD.

    Do the in place upgrade. Personally, almost all of us regular members here prefer to use a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD created from Media Creation Tool or from an ISO from Microsoft Tech Bench. But you can try the Windows update Get Windows X icon.

    After the upgrade, you hopefully will not have any unknown devices or exclamation points in device manager. After the upgrade, I would export the third party drivers using the DISM /Export-Driver command so that you will have them if you decide to do a clean install after the upgrade.

    The oldest computer I have upgraded is an Acer Aspire One that originally came with Windows XP from Acer and it is running great on Windows 10.
    Thanks. Yes I always use the media creation tool. And for sure, always image before I upgrade.
    BJB
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    30 Apr 2016 #5

    fdegrove said: View Post
    Hi,



    If that's the case as it can often be, I suggest firing up device manager and let Windows search online for an appropriate driver for the device (s). That often works in most cases but unfortunately not all.

    Cheers,
    Will do, thanks. Is prowling OEM sites like Realtek for audio or others for wifi drivers better or worse than trying thr Windows update driver in DM?
    BJB
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    30 Apr 2016 #6

    BJB said: View Post
    Will do, thanks. Is prowling OEM sites like Realtek for audio or others for wifi drivers better or worse than trying thr Windows update driver in DM?
    BJB
    It depends on the device I would think, for most going right to the device manufacturer is best. My HP laptop got a windows 10 graphics driver that is only available through winupdate, and it is preferable over the regular drivers from amd because of all the extra features (like the screen dim/brighten buttons that only work with the hp driver). Aside from graphics though device manufacturer all the way
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    01 May 2016 #7

    Carsomyr said: View Post
    It depends on the device I would think, for most going right to the device manufacturer is best. My HP laptop got a windows 10 graphics driver that is only available through winupdate, and it is preferable over the regular drivers from amd because of all the extra features (like the screen dim/brighten buttons that only work with the hp driver). Aside from graphics though device manufacturer all the way
    Thanks. I guess I should have said chip manufacturer. In my case Dell and Mboard manufacturers have nothing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Solved Upgrading to Win10 Pro in Installation and Upgrade
I have Win 10 Home edition and would like to replace it with Pro and have all my installed apps under Pro. Can I do this and how? Thank you very much.
Upgrading 8.1 --> 10 - drivers? in Drivers and Hardware
Hey gang, So after holding off for a while, I am getting closer to taking advantage of the free upgrade offer for Windows 10. I would prefer to go through the upgrade process, rather than a clean install. I rather do clean installs when I really...
Hi i'm new to the forum. I just got this laptop (Dell Vostro 3558 i3), a few days ago i upgraded to windows 10 using the media creation tool. After the upgrade, the touch pad works but I cannot scroll. I have tried uninstalling the drivers and...
Win10 TH2 New Drivers in Drivers and Hardware
There is a slew of new drivers by date 10/29/2015 for new win 10 november 12 update. I have tested most of mine and they appear stable ready for prime time. Check yours.
hellooo.....I have hp probook 4520s and I upgraded it from windows 7 ultimate to windows 10 pro .after updating I search for updating for my drivers it found drivers and download it but cant instale it....any advice or solution...also some time a...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:32.
Find Us