windows.old

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 29
    Windows 10 14328.rs1
       #1

    windows.old


    I have a windows.old windows old.1 and 2, can i deleted these at least the older ones say 1 and 2 guessing window old is the newest ? Can just right click delete ?
      My Computer

  2. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,440
    windows 10 Pro ver 21H2 build 19044.1348
       #2

    When a new operating system is installed, the previous operating system will be saved into a folder called Windows.old.
    If the user is not happy with the new operating system, one can use the windows.old to go back to the previous operating system.

    So, if you have no issues with the new operating system, and you have no plan to go back to the previous one, you can delete the windows.old....... all of them in your case.

    By the way, your profile says you are using Windows 8.1.
    This is Windows 10 forum.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 29
    Windows 10 14328.rs1
    Thread Starter
       #3

    MM that's interesting where does it pick that up from, have been Windows 10 for a little while can i change that?
      My Computer

  4. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,440
    windows 10 Pro ver 21H2 build 19044.1348
       #4

    geordie17 said:
    MM that's interesting where does it pick that up from, have been Windows 10 for a little while can i change that?
    Change what ?
    Your system specs ?

    Sign in to this Ten Forums > top right, click User CP > left side, under My settings, click Edit System Spec

    windows.old-systen-specs-edit.jpg
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 29
    Windows 10 14328.rs1
    Thread Starter
       #5

    ok ta updated OS, tried to delete windows old it wont let me tells me could not be found item no longer on c:verify it location and try again, many times
      My Computer

  6. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,440
    windows 10 Pro ver 21H2 build 19044.1348
       #6

    Can you open one of them ?
    Is it empty inside ?
      My Computer


  7. RWOne's Avatar
    Posts : 498
    Windows 10 Pro (Mix of Builds) / Linux Mint
       #7

    Why not just use Disk Cleanup and go thru the advanced options, selecting to remove previous windows and temp files, let that run and then see what you are left with...

    It's much better than Deleting the .old folders themselves, and requires no guesswork on the OP's part. If afterwards, the folders are left, then would be the time to consider other options for why, and then how to deal with it.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 29
    Windows 10 14328.rs1
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Yes can open them has folders users with a couple of folders in that.Funny i can rename the windows old folder but it wont go.
      My Computer

  9. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,440
    windows 10 Pro ver 21H2 build 19044.1348
       #9

    geordie17 said:
    Yes can open them has folders users with a couple of folders in that.Funny i can rename the windows old folder but it wont go.
    Use this tutorial :
    How to Delete Windows.old Folder in Windows 10
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
      My Computer

  10. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,440
    windows 10 Pro ver 21H2 build 19044.1348
       #10

    RWOne said:
    Why not just use Disk Cleanup and go thru the advanced options, selecting to remove previous windows and temp files, let that run and then see what you are left with...

    It's much better than Deleting the .old folders themselves, and requires no guesswork on the OP's part. If afterwards, the folders are left, then would be the time to consider other options for why, and then how to deal with it.
    You are welcome to advise the OP directly.
    In fact, you have every right to.
    I don't have monopoly to this thread.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums