Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    15 Apr 2016 #11

    Not so sure about the "installation disc" part as Win 10 vanilla is an installation disc...
    To get an image that is pre-activated follow my previous post and image the Win 10 Home partition with Macrium Reflect and restore when required.
    I understand you have a system builder licence, that will carry over on the same hardware.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    15 Apr 2016 #12
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    PA, USA
    Posts : 476
    Windows 10 Pro (Mix of Builds) / Linux Mint

    I'm not sure of your reasons not to go to 10, but can respect them.

    That said, I haven't had anyone using 7 that I've upgraded who hasn't loved it after getting used to the new OS.

    I'm not saying there were those in that group who didn't have issue at first, a lot of them were HW/Driver related, but we sorted that out.

    I could agree with either method presented, certainly take an image of your windows 7 install to keep as a backup.

    The easier route IMO (because we talk about different ways of doing it without knowing your comfort level) without having to resort to partition re-sizing later on, etc. would be just to do the upgrade with the entitlement ...

    Making it both easy for you to perform, and you still have a 30 day "out" if you don't like it to go back.

    I have 7 systems in my house, and did every one of them, all good and all were of differing age.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    15 Apr 2016 #13
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,892
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    To : safe01

    I have a post which was answered by our Admin, Brink.
    The scenario is different, but the principle/rule is the same.
    If you are interested, have a look.........................
    https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...activated.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    15 Apr 2016 #14

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    To : safe01

    I have a post which was answered by our Admin, Brink.
    The scenario is different, but the principle/rule is the same.
    If you are interested, have a look.........................
    https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...activated.html
    That is a completely different issue - we are not talking about duplication of licences... just getting digital entitlement for later use... it's really not that hard to understand, with all due respect.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    15 Apr 2016 #15
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,892
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    That is a completely different issue - we are not talking about duplication of licences... just getting digital entitlement for later use... it's really not that hard to understand, with all due respect.
    You cannot get Digital Entitlement unless the OS is activated.
    You cannot get the OS activated unless you have a valid product key that is NOT in use.

    Installing Win 10 in a separate partition but using the same Win 7 product key will not get activated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    15 Apr 2016 #16

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    You cannot get Digital Entitlement unless the OS is activated.
    You cannot get the OS activated unless you have a valid product key that is NOT in use.

    Installing Win 10 in a separate partition but using the same Win 7 product key will not get activated.
    OMG... I give up! Do as you will.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    15 Apr 2016 #17
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by safe01 View Post
    I would like to continue using Windows 7 but my concern is that it is no longer supported after January 2020. Ideally, if my laptop is still working, I would like to switch to Windows 10 in December 2019. Is there any way of doing this for free by, say, creating a Windows 10 installation disc, or do all free Windows 10 upgrades by whatever means have to be completed by 29 July 2016?
    I'll take a stab at this one. To be honest I doubt you can do what you would want to do and get a free upgrade to 10. The best plan right now is to upgrade to 10 and try it out for the 30 days and see if you like it or not. If it's not what you want you can roll back to 7. Or if you make a back up of your current PC with 7 you can roll back at any time before or after the 30 days.

    Another thought is to try Classic shell if you don't like the new start menu. It's going to be almost the same as what you have now.

    HTH
    Jeff
    PS, and welcome to the forums.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    15 Apr 2016 #18
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 15
    W7 Home Premium x86 SP1 Build 7601
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    I'll take a stab at this one. To be honest I doubt you can do what you would want to do and get a free upgrade to 10. The best plan right now is to upgrade to 10 and try it out for the 30 days and see if you like it or not. If it's not what you want you can roll back to 7.
    PS, and welcome to the forums.
    Thanks. Unfortunately I think you may be right. My main concern about upgrading to W10 is multiple driver incompatibility. I only upgraded from Vista to W7 last year and that was fairly problematic, but this will be way worse. As I said, ideally I would like to stick with W7 and only upgrade to W10 in a few years if my laptop is still working, but as there doesn't appear to be any consensus here how to do that it would seem it's not possible.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    15 Apr 2016 #19
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by safe01 View Post
    Thanks. Unfortunately I think you may be right. My main concern about upgrading to W10 is multiple driver incompatibility. I only upgraded from Vista to W7 last year and that was fairly problematic, but this will be way worse. As I said, ideally I would like to stick with W7 and only upgrade to W10 in a few years if my laptop is still working, but as there doesn't appear to be any consensus here how to do that it would seem it's not possible.
    I have to go along with your thinking on this. If you had trouble before you might encounter some again.
    My thought would be keep 7 and just do a hardware upgrade in Dec 2019, it would be about the right time.

    And happy computing.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    15 Apr 2016 #20
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,555
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by safe01 View Post
    Thanks. Unfortunately I think you may be right. My main concern about upgrading to W10 is multiple driver incompatibility. I only upgraded from Vista to W7 last year and that was fairly problematic, but this will be way worse. As I said, ideally I would like to stick with W7 and only upgrade to W10 in a few years if my laptop is still working, but as there doesn't appear to be any consensus here how to do that it would seem it's not possible.
    safe01

    Maybe I can shed some light on this. First backup your windows 7 system (There are instructions on the forum on how to do this). Next, install windows 10 upgrade. It should be digitally activated. Then you can restore your windows 7 and then upgrade or do a clean install of windows 10 at anytime. This is not a step by step instruction but read further before doing this but still do the backup of windows 7 and backup any data you might need.

    To All,
    It actually depends on the type of windows 7 disk safe01 has. If it is an upgrade disk, safe01 will have to upgrade 10 first, then do a clean install of 10. If the windows 7 disk is a retail disk, then safe01 can delete all partitions and do a clean install of windows 10. Sometimes the windows 7 key won't work until after windows 10 install is completed-my experience. Note, no key needed if upgrade from 7.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Windows 10 plus Windows 7 dilemma.
I have Windows 10 installed on a M.2 SSD. I have two other SSD's in Raid 0 which are used for gaming. There is also a 2TB sata drive for storage plus another SSD i use only for Linux. There is no dual boot as i installed Grub onto the SSD drive with...
Installation and Upgrade
Win 10 upgrade dilemma
Hi, I originally used the sysprep method (from eightforums) to move my user profile to a different drive (E: drive) in win 8.1. My dilemma is do I move my user profile back to the C: drive (win drive) before upgrading to win 10 ? or just upgrade...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Minor Dilemma
I have recently installed a Linux Samba file server on my home network. All is well with it. The issue I'm having is my one Win 10 machine is seeing itself, the other Win 10 machine, the router and the Linux. This machine (the other Win 10) only...
Network and Sharing
The Copy and Paste Picture Dilemma & Other Outlook Problems
I have Windows 10 and IE 11. I use to be able to copy pictures from the web to an Outlook e-mail. Now when I do it all I get is the http address and no photo. If this is due to Windows 10 I'll do a restore to Windows 8.1 and stay put. If this is...
Browsers and Email
Windows 10 dilemma!
So impressed with my upgrade and within 10 minutes I opted for the clean install, all was great a few niggles with my Xonar DGX sound card, but overall very pleased....But decided today to take my PC to someone's house to show them that W10 is...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:55.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums