Windows 10: Fresh install - disable automatic driver installation from the start

  1.    06 Apr 2016 #1

    Fresh install - disable automatic driver installation from the start


    I'd like to do a fresh windows 10 installation but I noticed before that right away at the beginning windows 10 starts downloading/installing the drivers from microsoft servers. Is there a way to disable this from the start and just manually install the drivers. Win10 always ****s up my amd video driver installation..

    I use a usb with latest msdn release to install win10x64 pro..
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    06 Apr 2016 #2

    Disconnect the ethernet cable before installing? Then after you get your video driver installed, turn off automatic driver installation, then reconnect the ethernet cable:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	73346
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    06 Apr 2016 #3

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Disconnect the ethernet cable before installing? Then after you get your video driver installed, turn off automatic driver installation, then reconnect the ethernet cable:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	73346
    I guess that’Il work, but I thought you had to be online for activation, will you be able to continue during the setup when your offline and choose the option continue without key or something like that..
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 25,721
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       06 Apr 2016 #4

    dumble said: View Post
    I guess that’Il work, but I thought you had to be online for activation, will you be able to continue during the setup when your offline and choose the option continue without key or something like that..
    Hi there. Welcome to the forum.

    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First

    Do as NavyLCDR directs and then I believe to use this option.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Digital Entitlement.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	73386
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    06 Apr 2016 #5

    dumble said: View Post
    I guess that’Il work, but I thought you had to be online for activation, will you be able to continue during the setup when your offline and choose the option continue without key or something like that..
    Doesn't matter if you are online or not during the install, for activation purposes. Doing a clean install, one of two things will happen, whether you are online during the install or not -

    1. Windows setup will read a Windows 8/8.1/10 product key in your bios, if there is one there, and install the matching version of Windows 10 without asking you for a product key or which version you want.

    or

    2. Windows setup will ask you for a product key, you select "I don't have a product key", "skip this step", or "do this later". It will also ask you which version of Windows 10 you want to install, select the version you had previously.

    Then, in either case, after the install and all your adjustments, when you are ready and do go online, Windows 10 should activate itself automatically by retrieving the digital entitlement from Microsoft activation servers that was stored there when you did your initial upgrade.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    06 Apr 2016 #6

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Doesn't matter if you are online or not during the install, for activation purposes. Doing a clean install, one of two things will happen, whether you are online during the install or not -

    1. Windows setup will read a Windows 8/8.1/10 product key in your bios, if there is one there, and install the matching version of Windows 10 without asking you for a product key or which version you want.

    or

    2. Windows setup will ask you for a product key, you select "I don't have a product key", "skip this step", or "do this later". It will also ask you which version of Windows 10 you want to install, select the version you had previously.

    Then, in either case, after the install and all your adjustments, when you are ready and do go online, Windows 10 should activate itself automatically by retrieving the digital entitlement from Microsoft activation servers that was stored there when you did your initial upgrade.
    Thanks, I already started the install procedure. And you're right, it didn't matter for activation purposes to be online or not. Installation went smooth, and I was able to install all correct (and updated) drivers manually myself . Cheers!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
How to Turn On or Off Automatic Device Driver Installation in Windows 10 By default, Windows 10 will automatically search for, download and install driver updates for devices installed on the computer via Windows Update. Device Installation...
Hello guys, I need help for my new build. from a fresh install of windows 10 i try to install the drver for my IGPU Intel HD 530. each time i do that i get a BSOD with this message: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE igdkmd64.sys Or sometimes it's...
Recently I was notified that a driver installation failed. I went and checked it out, and it was a driver for HD 4600 graphics. My old system ran an i7-4790K, and when I upgraded to X99 I did not reimage my SSD. Is there a way I can remove an...
Hi. This is not exactly win 10 specific question, i had same problem in win 7, but now that i'm on win 10, that problem is still there. here's what's going on: I have high-end gaming PC with GTX 980 and 4k monitor and 1080p monitor as secondary....
How to disable automatic driver installation in Windows 10? I have this Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter (MacBook Pro 2011 w/ Boot Camp) whose driver I need to roll back to an earlier version for things to work properly, however Windows keeps...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05.
Find Us