Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
  1.    09 Apr 2016 #71
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 39,884
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Are you running Macrium Reflect from a bootable usb drive??? You should be.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    09 Apr 2016 #72
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,551
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    Are you running Macrium Reflect from a bootable usb drive??? You should be.
    And it should be Kyhi's recovery drive. And before you restore the image to the SSD, use MiniTool Partition Wizard on Kyhi's recovery drive to delete all partitions from the SSD. Then restore the image to the blank SSD using Macrium Reflect Free. Then disconnect the Hard drive, leave only the SSD connected, try to boot the computer from it. If it won't boot, boot again from Kyhi's recovery drive, run Macrium Reflect, and run the fix Windows starup problems utility from the restore menu.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    09 Apr 2016 #73
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,266
    Windows 10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogart99 View Post
    Right here we go again...<SNIP>...Screen after clicking finish.

    Up a creek again with no paddle.
    That's because, as is evident in your last 3 of the above screen shots, even though you opted to change target disk, you never actually changed it. Last shots show you restoring the image stored on Disk 1 to Disk 1. Restoring the image on Disk 1 to Disk 2 (your target SSD) should be doable (will require resizing last partition on the fly to fit onto smaller disk) from within the Windows environment, no need to run from MR rescue disk.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    09 Apr 2016 #74
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 39,884
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    In that 1st image his C drive on old drive is 697.87GB his new SSD drive is only 465.76GB so I would think in order for the image to be copied on to his new SSD that the C drive image needs to be shrunk DOWN to fit on the new SSD. The C drive alone is taking up all the space on the new SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Word Man View Post
    That's because, as is evident in your last 3 of the above screen shots, even though you opted to change target disk, you never actually changed it. Last shots show you restoring the image stored on Disk 1 to Disk 1. Restoring the image on Disk 1 to Disk 2 (your target SSD) should be doable (will require resizing last partition on the fly to fit onto smaller disk) from within the Windows environment, no need to run from MR rescue disk.
    Gee that's sounds like what I said 2 pages back.....but was told that didn't matter....interesting.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    09 Apr 2016 #75
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,266
    Windows 10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    Gee that's sounds like what I said 2 pages back.....but was told that didn't matter....interesting.
    Come on, Mike, I didn't see anyone say that didn't matter. Anyways, rereading what you said, I can see that you and I were kind of talking apples and oranges - I couldn't be sure whether OP was at Step 2 or where they were in NavyLCDR's stepwise process - and when you said an image was 697.87 GB that threw me off (I could see the entire disk was that size or thereabouts) - when you followed talking about copying the image (as opposed to restoring) that threw me further off. So let's just forget the semantics clash and please accept my apology assuming it was I who gave the impression that what you said didn't matter.

    Still, we're at a point where it looks to me like the biggest problem is OP appears to have nothing but a MR image file on their SSD and missed the switches to restore the MR image file from Disk1 to the SSD (Disk 2), during which they'll need to delete the existing partition from Disk 2, drag an drop the first 3 partitions onto Disk 2 and change properties (shrink) the 4th partitions before directing it to Disk 2 and, only after all that, clicking next.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    09 Apr 2016 #76
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 39,884
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Word Man View Post
    Come on, Mike, I didn't see anyone say that didn't matter. Anyways, rereading what you said, I can see that you and I were kind of talking apples and oranges - I couldn't be sure whether OP was at Step 2 or where they were in NavyLCDR's stepwise process - and when you said an image was 697.87 GB that threw me off (I could see the entire disk was that size or thereabouts) - when you followed talking about copying the image (as opposed to restoring) that threw me further off. So let's just forget the semantics clash and please accept my apology assuming it was I who gave the impression that what you said didn't matter.
    You do have a point, I did say restore the image in a earlier post, but I did say copy in that post. Sometimes I read too many posts, and confuse myself. No apology needed Kenn. Bottom line we are all trying to help the OP

    Quote Originally Posted by Word Man View Post
    Still, we're at a point where it looks to me like the biggest problem is OP appears to have nothing but a MR image file on their SSD and missed the switches to restore the MR image file from Disk1 to the SSD (Disk 2), during which they'll need to delete the existing partition from Disk 2, drag an drop the first 3 partitions onto Disk 2 and change properties (shrink) the 4th partitions before directing it to Disk 2 and, only after all that, clicking next.
    This is exactly right and I agree with you 100% , now all that's needed is for the OP to understand.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    09 Apr 2016 #77
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 38
    Win10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    Are you running Macrium Reflect from a bootable usb drive??? You should be.
    No USB stick not plugged in. The Macrium Reflect is on the HDD
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    09 Apr 2016 #78
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 39,884
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogart99 View Post
    No USB stick not plugged in. The Macrium Reflect is on the HDD
    Ok then do exactly what Word Man told you in msg 75 ....I would have used a bootable usb, but can be done the way Word Man suggested also. Here is what he suggested to you.

    Still, we're at a point where it looks to me like the biggest problem is OP appears to have nothing but a MR image file on their SSD and missed the switches to restore the MR image file from Disk1 to the SSD (Disk 2), during which they'll need to delete the existing partition from Disk 2, drag an drop the first 3 partitions onto Disk 2 and change properties (shrink) the 4th partitions before directing it to Disk 2 and, only after all that, clicking next.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    09 Apr 2016 #79
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,266
    Windows 10 Home

    @Bogart99 , let us know if my proposed corrections to what you did in MR don't make sense or are unclear. My proposed corrections should get your Macrium Image from Disk 1 (the HDD) restored to your Disk 2 (the HDD) where it has the same 4 partitions (having completed NavyLCDR's step #4) and then you can resume NavyLCDR's outlined process with step #5.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    09 Apr 2016 #80
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 38
    Win10
    Thread Starter

    Re doing it again. Hve got Macrium Reflect on a USB stick now.
    In section 4 of NavyLCDR it states

    4. Using the restore function of Macrium Reflect Free, restore the ENTIRE image to the SSD (all partitions). Not a file copy - but restore.

    Now does here ENTIRE image mean all the contents of C: disk 0
    and do I delete the partition in disk 1 on the SSD first?

    If I select the restore function it says select an image file to restore no idea what image it wants
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
HDD Cloning issues
Hello, I have tried to "clone" a laptop, UEFI/GPT, HDD using Macrium and AOMEI Partition Assistant and it seems to work fine, but the resulting "clones" are not bootable. Am I missing something? Thanks, Jim
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Cloning
I want a backup copy of my hard drive or a image so if I loose my hd I can reinstall the copy. I have extra external hd and docking station. Thanks Ben
Performance & Maintenance
Cloning with a new key and 8.1 key activation
I have a Windows 10 machine that has the same configuration that I want for another machine that I have purchased without an OS. What I am considering, to make life easier is to clone the drive of the configured machine to the new one and then,...
Installation and Upgrade
Cloning HDD to SSD in a different computer?
Hey everyone, Just wanted to get a feel on this before i dig into it. I have a dell laptop (school) that i got a SSD for. I also have a clevo laptop at home (main computer), and it has two 2.5" driver bays. Could i install my current dell HDD and...
Installation and Upgrade
OEM cloning windows 10
Hi, I purchased a laptop with OEM windows 8.1 last year and managed to clone the HDD to an SSD after much trial and error. I wish to now upgrade to windows 10 on this cloned SSD but am concerned that I may run into issues with regard...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums