Windows 10: upgrade questions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    16 Mar 2016 #1

    upgrade questions


    1) If I put Win 10 on a full partition or as a dual boot can I go back at anytime [single Win7 partition]?
    2) I'm planning to create Win 7, Win 10 dual boot on this laptop.Currently, Win 7 Ultimate, 64 bit, on a Del Precision M6300; disk 700GB with 121GB filled.
    Have Win 10 ISO on DVD. ISO created by Microsoft.

    I have an AOMEI Bckupper System & file image on a remote drive.
    After I run the ISO my drive will be repartioned as a dual boot machine.
    I presume my next step is to run the ISO file; correct?
    After, how to I restore the Win7 backup to one of the partitions?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 4,765
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       16 Mar 2016 #2

    Please read this tutorial on how to dual boot Win7/8 with Win 10
    http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-...indows-7-or-8/
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.   My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    16 Mar 2016 #4

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Read the tutorial and started the shrink over 12 hours ago. How long should it take?
    Thanx for the help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 Mar 2016 #5

    jalea148 said: View Post
    Read the tutorial and started the shrink over 12 hours ago. How long should it take?
    Thanx for the help.
    Using built-in Windows Disk Management, I honestly couldn't tell you. I don't trust Windows Disk Management. MiniTool Partition Wizard usually takes about 5 minutes depending on how many files it has to move. 12 hours seems a bit excessive, even for built in Windows Disk Management.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    16 Mar 2016 #6

    With dual boot you will need 2 product keys - kind of expensive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    17 Mar 2016 #7

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Using built-in Windows Disk Management, I honestly couldn't tell you. I don't trust Windows Disk Management. MiniTool Partition Wizard usually takes about 5 minutes depending on how many files it has to move. 12 hours seems a bit excessive, even for built in Windows Disk Management.
    I think it's resized even though the hour glass is still showing. Explorer says this disk [partition] is smaller. Earlier I tried to restart but was told shrinking was still in process.
    The reply by WHS has me worried:
    With dual boot you will need 2 product keys - kind of expensive.

    My laptop is attached to my bedside stand and there are no resources for a 2nd product key. Is there another way to find the laptop's product key?

    Please keep following this thread; I appreciate your help.




      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    17 Mar 2016 #8

    whs said: View Post
    With dual boot you will need 2 product keys - kind of expensive.
    Any idea how to retrieve the product key from the registry in readable form?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    17 Mar 2016 #9

    What WHS is saying is that it violates the End Users License Agreement (EULA) for you to have two installed and activated copies of Windows unless you have two separate licenses for Windows. When you upgrade from one version of Windows (Windows 7) to another version of WIndows (Windows 10), you still only have one license. You do not gain a second license for free. You can have EITHER Windows 7 OR Windows 10 installed and activated with your one license but NOT both.

    We assumed you had purchased a second license for Windows in order to run the second version that you want to install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    17 Mar 2016 #10

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    What WHS is saying is that it violates the End Users License Agreement (EULA) for you to have two installed and activated copies of Windows unless you have two separate licenses for Windows. When you upgrade from one version of Windows (Windows 7) to another version of WIndows (Windows 10), you still only have one license. You do not gain a second license for free. You can have EITHER Windows 7 OR Windows 10 installed and activated with your one license but NOT both.

    We assumed you had purchased a second license for Windows in order to run the second version that you want to install.
    I had been advised, due to my apprehension regarding my old software and drivers that a dual boot was the best way of trying Win 10.
    What do I do now? Can I resize back or use the other partition as a virtual drive?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
NOTE: I have updated this post to include the most recent information as of 8/8/15. There has been a lot of misinformation, poorly communicated information, interpretation of information, re-interpretation of information, reading between the...
Solved Questions about W10 upgrade page in Installation and Upgrade
I can't move from 10240 to the next build via WU regardless of what I do (have done many things to try an make it work via windows update, all to no avail) I've reached the point of trying the Windows 10 site...
I am been reading many of the Win 10 Upgrade messages - but there seems to be many different ways that the upgrade to Win10 can be done. Any comments about my quesitons below are appreciated. Someone told me yesterday that one of the easiest...
A few upgrade questions in Installation and Upgrade
I will be upgrading from 64-bit W8.1 Pro to 64-bit W10 Pro in the near future. A few questions:- 1) I run 64-bit W8.1 Pro on a ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe motherboard. I dont have a graphics nor sound card since I use the on-board graphics and audio...
I've got a few questions. 1) What happens if you try to update a copy of windows 7 that is not actually genuine? 2) I do have the "Reserve your Windows 10" icon in my system tray. However, there is nowhere to download Windows 10, all there is,...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:28.
Find Us