Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    07 Mar 2016 #21
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 23
    win 10 9926
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Agreed.
    OldMike65, Way ahead of ya on this one. Already done. C was backed up and verified right after a new install of 10 and running good. Then I used third party software to wipe the C partition and reformat. Then I reinstalled 10 from using the new backup. The backup worked just fine. I have updates turned off. Used the computer til late last night. All went well. Got up this morn. Computer booted right up very fast and still works great. The computer now is unusually "peppy" and responsive. Feels like I have a core I7 with a load of DDR4 in here but, I don't have my apps installed. I will now do the updates and get back to ya. My fingers are crossed. BTY. One thing you said in your previous post was to "Image EVERYTHING on your C drive. All partitions. Should be either 3 or 4 partitions on your C drive". I don't follow you on that one. 3 or 4 partitions on my C drive? Did you mean "hard drive"? I'm only using one (C) partition of 100 gigs now just to eliminate any possible problems. Now, it's updating time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    07 Mar 2016 #22
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,848
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by collieman View Post
    OldMike65, Way ahead of ya on this one. Already done. C was backed up and verified right after a new install of 10 and running good. Then I used third party software to wipe the C partition and reformat. Then I reinstalled 10 from using the new backup. The backup worked just fine. I have updates turned off. Used the computer til late last night. All went well. Got up this morn. Computer booted right up very fast and still works great. The computer now is unusually "peppy" and responsive. Feels like I have a core I7 with a load of DDR4 in here but, I don't have my apps installed. I will now do the updates and get back to ya. My fingers are crossed. BTY. One thing you said in your previous post was to "Image EVERYTHING on your C drive. All partitions. Should be either 3 or 4 partitions on your C drive". I don't follow you on that one. 3 or 4 partitions on my C drive? Did you mean "hard drive"? I'm only using one (C) partition of 100 gigs now just to eliminate any possible problems. Now, it's updating time.
    Yeah, I think he meant, image all partitions on your Drive 0 (which includes C).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    07 Mar 2016 #23
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 38,752
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Yeah, I think he meant, image all partitions on your Drive 0 (which includes C).
    Yup, and I am going to show him a pic...
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    07 Mar 2016 #24
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 38,752
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by collieman View Post
    OldMike65, Way ahead of ya on this one. Already done. C was backed up and verified right after a new install of 10 and running good. Then I used third party software to wipe the C partition and reformat. Then I reinstalled 10 from using the new backup. The backup worked just fine. I have updates turned off. Used the computer til late last night. All went well. Got up this morn. Computer booted right up very fast and still works great. The computer now is unusually "peppy" and responsive. Feels like I have a core I7 with a load of DDR4 in here but, I don't have my apps installed. I will now do the updates and get back to ya. My fingers are crossed. BTY. One thing you said in your previous post was to "Image EVERYTHING on your C drive. All partitions. Should be either 3 or 4 partitions on your C drive". I don't follow you on that one. 3 or 4 partitions on my C drive? Did you mean "hard drive"? I'm only using one (C) partition of 100 gigs now just to eliminate any possible problems. Now, it's updating time.
    Ok, guess I confused you, sorry....here is a pic of my c drive, from Macrium Reflect, notice the 4 partitions each one has a check mark at the bottom . That's what I meant by backing up everything on your C drive.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	partitions.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	68159
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    07 Mar 2016 #25
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 38,752
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    The bottom one in the pic is my D-drive, that's where I send all my image backups too. Hope this explains it better.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    07 Mar 2016 #26
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 38,752
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    I am hoping THIS time you are successful with your Windows Updates!!! I am keeping my fingers AND toes crossed for you collieman!!
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    07 Mar 2016 #27
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 23
    win 10 9926
    Thread Starter

    64 bit it was.


    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Sure hope he needed 64-bit and not 32...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    07 Mar 2016 #28
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 38,752
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by collieman View Post
    64 bit it was.
    Welllll what happened????
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    07 Mar 2016 #29
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 23
    win 10 9926
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    Ok, guess I confused you, sorry....here is a pic of my c drive, from Macrium Reflect, notice the 4 partitions each one has a check mark at the bottom . That's what I meant by backing up everything on your C drive.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	partitions.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	68159
    OldMike65, I'm using just one partition now for this troubleshooting of 100gigs. My Reflect show that partition (100g C) plus a 315meg boot partition. When I had 5 other partitions it showed them. I don't save my backups to my main drive. I learned the hard way when my drive failed. I backup to an external AND a flash drive just to be safe. But, I have some good news and some bad news which I was able to overcome. I did the updates and the computer still worked after them!!! Start menu was still there as was my right clicking, task manager and WiFi. Hooray!! Now for the bad. I couldn't shut down the machine after the updating. Left it for an hour and finally had to do a hard shutdown. I thought that was going to ruin all of my good work but when I rebooted things were fine except for the shut down. But I was able to fix the problem in power options. Now it boots and shuts down like it's supposed to do. Many thanks to you guys for your help. Not calling this one solve ....just yet. After a little more confidence I'll mark it as solved.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    07 Mar 2016 #30
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 38,752
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by collieman View Post
    OldMike65, I'm using just one partition now for this troubleshooting of 100gigs. My Reflect show that partition (100g C) plus a 315meg boot partition. When I had 5 other partitions it showed them. I don't save my backups to my main drive. I learned the hard way when my drive failed. I backup to an external AND a flash drive just to be safe. But, I have some good news and some bad news which I was able to overcome. I did the updates and the computer still worked after them!!! Start menu was still there as was my right clicking, task manager and WiFi. Hooray!! Now for the bad. I couldn't shut down the machine after the updating. Left it for an hour and finally had to do a hard shutdown. I thought that was going to ruin all of my good work but when I rebooted things were fine except for the shut down. But I was able to fix the problem in power options. Now it boots and shuts down like it's supposed to do. Many thanks to you guys for your help. Not calling this one solve ....just yet. After a little more confidence I'll mark it as solved.
    Well the is GREAT NEWS!!! Very happy for you!!! I save mine to my 2nd drive, its NOT my Main drive. I have 1 SSD that's my C drive and my Main drive, my WD is my 2nd drive. I also use 1 external drive too.
    Glad you solved your shutdown issue, strange that it happened thou. I hope you are at build 10586.122 which would make you up to date. Be aware some apps, do not get along with Windows 10 !!!! I have no idea what kind of apps or AV type programs you are installing or running, but some programs don't run well with Windows 10. Most do .....just a few can cause problems.

    Take care collieman Glad everything is running good for you.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Another internet problem on upgrade
I just upgraded my desktop to 10 Pro and lost the internet connection. The wireless network appears to be working OK. When I run the diagnostic it produces this message. "The default gateway is not available" Can somebody please tell me what...
Network and Sharing
Solved Windows 10 upgrade problem
I had window 7 professional on my desktop on one HDD, the second hard drive once Vista was reformatted and blank boot. I must have made some mistake in the menu choices for the upgrade. All I know is that W10 Pro installed OK but is seeking...
Installation and Upgrade
Windows 10 upgrade problem
I got an older PC with a Intel Core 2 6600 CPU and currently run Windows 8.1 When I check to install Windows 10 I get the message that my computer cannot run Windows 10 due to the porcessor. I checked it with CPUID and all required parameters...
Installation and Upgrade
upgrade problem
I reserved windows 10 just now and I was shocked to see that my PC won't be able to run windows 10. I have windows 8.1, So will really won't be able to run 10? 21044
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Installation upgrade problem
Have been running the W10 preview since its release without problems. Today tried upgrading to the new version without success. In desperation I deleted the early version installed on a separate SSD thinking I could get a reinstallation using my...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:17.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums