Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    29 Feb 2016 #1
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10

    What is the best sequence to Reistall Windows 10?


    Hi there.
    For the last three months I have had Windows 10 problems, principally that I lost the ‘windows’ button and it’s activities, but also file saving problems.
    I had purchased a new PC with Windows10 64 bit Home already installed, assuming that all would be 'hunky dory'.
    However that has not proved to be the case.. . . so . . . .
    I purchased a recovery stick from HP and have tried to re-install twice.

    Neither time has been entirely successful. With different reasons each time.

    Can anyone point me to a primer which can recommend the optimal sequence to reinstall printers, network, Norton, Office 365 etc. ... and perhaps the best times to make a recovery disc etc.
    A bit of a long-shot, asking this, but if anyone could help, that would be great.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    29 Feb 2016 #2

    Hi there

    Others are better qualified than me to answer this question - But if you have a WORKING system TAKE A BACKUP BEFORE YOU START (Caps intended).

    There's loads of free backup programs out there so no excuse.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    29 Feb 2016 #3
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 63
    Windows 10

    I have read somewhere that an anti virus program could be the culprit corrupting files during installing programs.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    29 Feb 2016 #4
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there

    Others are better qualified than me to answer this question - But if you have a WORKING system TAKE A BACKUP BEFORE YOU START (Caps intended).

    There's loads of free backup programs out there so no excuse.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Thanks Jimbo. I have put all my files and needed 'stuff' on an external drive .. so I should be OK there.
    I really do want to have a completely clean PC to start off this time.
    A completely reformatted HD would be my ideal.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    29 Feb 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Personally, I would not install any extra anti-virus programs beyond Windows Defender. But if you are going to, then that would be the last item I install.

    I go with:

    1. Make a system image backup using Macrium Reflect.
    2. Export device drivers using dism /online /export-driver /destination:E:\DriversW10 (the destination path will be where you store them).
    3. Clean install vanilla Windows 10 - deleting all partitions on the drive that I am installing to and installing Windows to the unallocated space.
    4. Install network drivers if I have to, connect to my home network, connect to the internet, let Windows 10 run all updates.
    5. Look in Device Manager for "unknown devices". First attempt to upgrade drivers by searching for updates, which includes online.
    6. Any devices that don't have drivers online, then use the browse my computer option and point it to the saved drivers from step 2.
    7. Upgrade video and audio card drivers from the manufacturer.
    8. Install major programs.
    9. Install anti-virus (if you want to).
    10. Do system scan with your anti-virus (if you want to).
    11. Minor tweaks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    29 Feb 2016 #6
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    I have read somewhere that an anti virus program could be the culprit corrupting files during installing programs.
    Thanks,
    When I use the HP USB installation drive, it automatically puts in McAfee as a virus protection. Hopefully their USB drive will be able to withstand that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    29 Feb 2016 #7
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Personally, I would not install any extra anti-virus programs beyond Windows Defender. But if you are going to, then that would be the last item I install.

    I go with:

    1. Make a system image backup using Macrium Reflect.
    2. Export device drivers using dism /online /export-driver /destination:E:\DriversW10 (the destination path will be where you store them).
    3. Clean install vanilla Windows 10 - deleting all partitions on the drive that I am installing to and installing Windows to the unallocated space.
    4. Install network drivers if I have to, connect to my home network, connect to the internet, let Windows 10 run all updates.
    5. Look in Device Manager for "unknown devices". First attempt to upgrade drivers by searching for updates, which includes online.
    6. Any devices that don't have drivers online, then use the browse my computer option and point it to the saved drivers from step 2.
    7. Upgrade video and audio card drivers from the manufacturer.
    8. Install major programs.
    9. Install anti-virus (if you want to).
    10. Do system scan with your anti-virus (if you want to).
    11. Minor tweaks.
    Hi Navy. Thnaks.
    Just the sort of advice I was looking for.
    Is the free version of Macrium Reflect the version I Need?
    I will need to investigate how to do the dism thing in point 2.! though!

    I really appreciate your assistance.

    I won't mark the thread as closed yet as I will probably need to get back to you to give you effusive thanks.

    EDITED:
    I just looked up dism .... should I run sfc/scannow first!
    Last edited by MrChips; 29 Feb 2016 at 12:47. Reason: Just looked up DISM
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    29 Feb 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by MrChips View Post
    Thanks,
    When I use the HP USB installation drive, it automatically puts in McAfee as a virus protection. Hopefully their USB drive will be able to withstand that.
    If you are going to use the HP recovery media - then the first step that I would do before anything else would be to uninstall McAfee.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    29 Feb 2016 #9
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    If you are going to use the HP recovery media - then the first step that I would do before anything else would be to uninstall McAfee.
    When I run the HP USB reinstall stick .... HP include McAfee in their unstoppable sequence of events. They give me no option to bypass it .. unfortunately.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    29 Feb 2016 #10
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by MrChips View Post
    When I run the HP USB reinstall stick .... HP include McAfee in their unstoppable sequence of events. They give me no option to bypass it .. unfortunately.
    Correct. And after the restore is complete, the first step that I would do is uninstall it.

    But, also, instead of doing a full restore using the HP restore disks, I would do a clean install of vanilla Windows 10 using a Windows 10 install USB or DVD created from the Media Creation Tool.
    Windows 10
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
How to set boot priority sequence permanently on Lenovo G 50 70
My laptop is running on Window10 efficiently. Sometimes in order to check the DVDs and USBs bootability of newly created OS or Recovery Disk etc I have to select the relative option in the the bios. But on Lenovo G 50 70 the selected option is not...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved EXCEL sort sequence
Hi there I'm trying to create a list of Movies in my DB in alphabetical order with folders A,B,C etc. Is there a way to store for example "The Day the earth Stood Still - 1951" in D ignoring the word "THE" in the sort sequence if it's the...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums