Windows 10: Use bootable USB to upgrade to 1511

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 26,315
    Windows10Pro 64Bit - Build 14393.1198
       29 Feb 2016 #151

    simrick said: View Post
    But the MCT will make an ISO, which they can just right-click and run. I don't usually use USB sticks - is there an advantage?
    Faster....and MCT can do either one....DVD or USB drive. only difference would be the speed. DVD really slow...but either way is fine. I would prefer usb, but.... some older computers will not boot to a usb anyhow.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...-a.html?filter
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 11,216
    W10Prox64
       29 Feb 2016 #152

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Faster....and MCT can do either one....DVD or USB drive. only difference would be the speed. DVD really slow...but either way is fine. I would prefer usb, but.... some older computers will not boot to a usb anyhow.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...-a.html?filter
    Yes, but why bother making a DVD *or* a USB flash drive, when all they need is the ISO on the desktop, right-click to mount, and run setup.exe? MCT will make the ISO for them. Yes, older computers won't boot from flash drives...but I meant only for these two instances, sorry - should have been more specific what I meant.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    29 Feb 2016 #153

    I do have macrium, I use it for my imaging.

    To be honest everyone..... I give up! I have 4 other PC's in the house that took to update no issues. I am going to leave it how it is and just go with it. When I get to a point where my OCD kicks in bad enough, I will do a clean install.

    Thank you all so much for your time with this. I feel I have wasted enough of mine, my family, you all and your family time.

    Thanks again you have no idea how much you all trying means
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 11,216
    W10Prox64
       29 Feb 2016 #154

    Geeve420 said: View Post
    I do have macrium, I use it for my imaging.

    To be honest everyone..... I give up! I have 4 other PC's in the house that took to update no issues. I am going to leave it how it is and just go with it. When I get to a point where my OCD kicks in bad enough, I will do a clean install.

    Thank you all so much for your time with this. I feel I have wasted enough of mine, my family, you all and your family time.

    Thanks again you have no idea how much you all trying means
    Sorry @Geeve420 - you really gave it a good go, more than most would. Wish we could have resolved this for you without a clean install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    29 Feb 2016 #155

    Well..... I found as I was going through the list that it was set to do a selective startup. Changed that to boot normally, rebooted, cleared the WU with the script again, checked for updates and of course it found 1511. Told it to go ahead (why not right?) It actually downloading and is taking a long time to install the update ( this is new behavior). Maybe it'll take.....

    I will report back and let you all know. It'll take a while as my satellite internet is slow and I have used all my data, so I am being restricted till midnight. Been like this since last night lol

    Past this I am giving up though

    thanks again all!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 11,216
    W10Prox64
       29 Feb 2016 #156

    Geeve420 said: View Post
    Well..... I found as I was going through the list that it was set to do a selective startup. Changed that to boot normally, rebooted, cleared the WU with the script again, checked for updates and of course it found 1511. Told it to go ahead (why not right?) It actually downloading and is taking a long time to install the update ( this is new behavior). Maybe it'll take.....

    I will report back and let you all know. It'll take a while as my satellite internet is slow and I have used all my data, so I am being restricted till midnight. Been like this since last night lol

    Past this I am giving up though

    thanks again all!
    Okay, good luck!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 21,787
    Dual boot - Win 10 Pro & Win 10 Insider (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       01 Mar 2016 #157

    Geeve420 said: View Post
    Well..... I found as I was going through the list that it was set to do a selective startup. Changed that to boot normally, rebooted, cleared the WU with the script again, checked for updates and of course it found 1511. Told it to go ahead (why not right?) It actually downloading and is taking a long time to install the update ( this is new behavior). Maybe it'll take.....

    I will report back and let you all know. It'll take a while as my satellite internet is slow and I have used all my data, so I am being restricted till midnight. Been like this since last night lol

    Past this I am giving up though

    thanks again all!
    @Geeve420 Good luck with the current try! IF you decide to clean install, I would make a suggestion.

    IF the 10240 is the ONLY os on your HDD, and you have ALL your data and apps and whatever is important to you backed up, unplugged, and hidden in the refrigerator, I suggest the following step during install.

    1. After you boot the USB/DVD, there will be a point where it asks where to install.
    2. DELETE (yes, wipe out) ALL partitions on your HDD, ALL.
    3. You will now have 1 unallocated partition on the HDD.
    4. Create a Simple Partition of all of it.
    5. Do quick format on it.
    6. DELETE IT, back to 1 unallocated partition.
    7. Install to the unallocated, Windows will do all necessary formatting and partitioning.

    The reason for steps 4, 5 and 6 is to make sure HDD is not sick and the disk management built into the setup process can see and deal with the HDD correctly. These three steps only take a few seconds. After install, you will know you started as clean as possible.

    Good luck! TC...
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    01 Mar 2016 #158

    It didn't work. Oh well!

    Good advice f14tomcat, I was debating if I wanted to clear out the recovery partition and just use the whole drive. I have my windows key, just need to grab all my drivers.

    What do you think? Keep recovery (factory image) or get rid of it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 26,315
    Windows10Pro 64Bit - Build 14393.1198
       01 Mar 2016 #159

    Geeve420 said: View Post
    It didn't work. Oh well!

    Good advice f14tomcat, I was debating if I wanted to clear out the recovery partition and just use the whole drive. I have my windows key, just need to grab all my drivers.

    What do you think? Keep recovery (factory image) or get rid of it?
    Backup your drivers, and as TC said, delete all your partitions. then do your clean install.

    Here is the command to backup all your drivers, change the C: to where ever your backing then up, and making the folder.
    md c:\Drivers
    Dism /Online /Export-Driver /Destination:C:\Drivers
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 21,787
    Dual boot - Win 10 Pro & Win 10 Insider (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       01 Mar 2016 #160

    Geeve420 said: View Post
    It didn't work. Oh well!

    Good advice f14tomcat, I was debating if I wanted to clear out the recovery partition and just use the whole drive. I have my windows key, just need to grab all my drivers.

    What do you think? Keep recovery (factory image) or get rid of it?
    Honestly, the OEM "factory recovery partition" is where all the bloatware/crapware hides! It'll do a recovery, sure, but you get back all the junk! I, personally, make it go far far away! It will NOT affect your warranty. They have to put that stuff in there as part of their OEM license with MS. ("Added Value").

    Think you said you use Macrium. If you want, copy (backup) the OEM partition somewhere first. You can always go back to it thru mounting in Macrium and pick at it, if needed.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Is the 1511 upgrade worth it? in Installation and Upgrade
I have Windows 10 Home version. It continually fails to install the 1511 upgrade. I have already spent lots of time on this and am concerned that successfully upgrading will require an inordinate amount of time and effort. An HP support person...
Solved second attempt for WIN 10 upgrade 1511 in Windows Updates and Activation
I have downloaded the original WIN10 from WIN7 earlier in October. I missed the November WIN10 upgrade to 1511 because I didn't have 31 days on WIN10 yet. Does anyone know when the second attempt will be in December? I don't want to do it myself,...
Be kind, I'm more than a little stressed at the moment... I did a stupid thing. When I upgraded all 5 computers here to Windows 10 several months ago, it went SO WELL I figured doing the November upgrade yesterday would be a snap. Stupid,...
I've got an OEM Win 7 Pro 64-bit system with all updates. It's only a few days old. I don't see the Win 10 upgrade icon in the notification area. I've got Win 10 install ISO on a bootable USB device, SanDisk Micro 8 GB Cruzer. What do I need to...
I don't know why, but I can't seem to upgrade to Windows 10 using Windows Update. The installation just doesn't happen, and whenever I go to the update history all "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home" entries show as unsuccessfull. So what I did was...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:29.
Find Us