How to install UEFI on Dell Inspiron 15 7559

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 8
    windows 10
       #1

    How to install UEFI on Dell Inspiron 15 7559


    As the title says how exactly do you achieve this?

    I have an ISO Ran RUFUS 2.6
    GPT Partition Scheme for UEFI
    Fat 32
    8192 Default
    X Quick Format
    X Create a bootable disk using
    X Create Extended label and Icon Files

    so the next part is the Kicker Dell did a number on their Bios and rather than using standard logic as we have done so many years just setting the boot order to "Boot USB" first, you "Only" have the option to create a "Boot Program"!!! so you select your USB Drive then which ever file you want it to boot I'm Assuming? So I tried selecting Setup, bootmgr.efi, and autorun with no results!

    I get the secured boot error crap, turn that off and I get Legacy BIOS (that defeats the entire point) What the hell happened to Win95 Boot Discs and FDISK?

    I am so frustrated with this garbage, I found out the hard way with Windows 10 and trying to nuke the SSD and put a clean install of 8.1 on it.

    Any directions especially concerning Dell's wonderful BIOS would be appreciated!

    Thanks
      My Computer

  2. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 10,242
    Windows 10 Pro X64 1909 18363.815
       #2

    Try setting BIOS back to default then press F12 when you boot. Select USB device from the UEFI section of the boot menu.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 8
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Ztruker said:
    Try setting BIOS back to default then press F12 when you boot. Select USB device from the UEFI section of the boot menu.
    Ok tried the results are this:
    There is a menu with Legacy Boot options & UEFI Boot Options
    If I select the Legacy just get an error to put in a bootable device (Probably because RUFUS formatted it UEFI)
    If I select the UEFI option that I created called Win8 it just ignores the drive and continues to Windows 10
    In the Boot setup for the UEFI options I have not only tried selecting Setup.exe, bootmgr.efi, bootmgr, Autorun, and the setup.exe in the Sources folder. The ones that showed some sign of working gave an invalid signature error.

    I then disabled Secured Boot and gave a try but on the files that triggered something it simply went to advance recovery options menu and thats about it. I have also tried reformatting the stick GPT & MBR both using the same results. I mean seriously what is going on? How do i create a usb stick with 8.1 that upon loading will act like win 7 and previous ISO's and allow me to wipe all partitions and do a clean install that will jive with the secure Boot and UEFI? Did Dell setup their Bios to only accept their specific ISO?
      My Computer

  4. jds63's Avatar
    Posts : 3,139
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #4

    Am i missing something, if this Laptop has a UEFI BIOS didn't it come installed this way ? So why would you be redoing it ? Ones i seen listed came with Windows 10, so this did not ?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 8
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    jds63 said:
    Am i missing something, if this Laptop has a UEFI BIOS didn't it come installed this way ? So why would you be redoing it ? Ones i seen listed came with Windows 10, so this did not ?
    Yes it has a UEFI Bios already on it. It came with Windows 10, I do not want Windows 10, I want Windows 8.1. I want to completely Nuke all existence of Window's 10 from the Drive, It I could low level a SSD I would! I am trying to Solve the issue since I do not have a CD drive, how do I format the SSD and install a clean Version of Windows 8.1?
      My Computer

  6. jds63's Avatar
    Posts : 3,139
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #6

    abstract3000 said:
    Yes it has a UEFI Bios already on it. It came with Windows 10, I do not want Windows 10, I want Windows 8.1. I want to completely Nuke all existence of Window's 10 from the Drive, It I could low level a SSD I would! I am trying to Solve the issue since I do not have a CD drive, how do I format the SSD and install a clean Version of Windows 8.1?
    O.k. first for one, do you have bought version of windows 8.1 ?
      My Computer



  7. Posts : 8
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    jds63 said:
    O.k. first for one, do you have bought version of windows 8.1 ?
    yes it is a disc I got with another PC A few years ago, I simply ripped the ISO from the Disc
      My Computer

  8. jds63's Avatar
    Posts : 3,139
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #8

    abstract3000 said:
    yes it is a disc I got with another PC A few years ago, I simply ripped the ISO from the Disc
    Can not use a disc that was used on another PC regardless i feel, even from it being copied. Plus there no way i know to change a UEFI BIOS to Legacy BIOS if it came with a UEFI BIOS, stating it said Legacy BIOS. For UEFI BIOS just need to make a USB Flash Drive bootable with Rufus and as said by Zt select UEFI USB Drive at boot menu.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 8
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    jds63 said:
    Can not use a disc that was used on another PC regardless i feel, even from it being copied. Plus there no way i know to change a UEFI BIOS to Legacy BIOS if it came with a UEFI BIOS, stating it said Legacy BIOS. For UEFI BIOS just need to make a USB Flash Drive bootable with Rufus and as said by Zt select UEFI USB Drive at boot menu.
    Yup, covered that already in my first post.

    My question is with the UEFI Boot Manager on the Systsem
    with : File Browser Add Boot Option & File Browser Del Boot Option Shouldn't I be selecting the bootmgr.efi file, naming it, then trying to boot that to install?
      My Computer

  10. jds63's Avatar
    Posts : 3,139
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #10

    abstract3000 said:
    Yup, covered that already in my first post.

    My question is with the UEFI Boot Manager on the Systsem
    with : File Browser Add Boot Option & File Browser Del Boot Option Shouldn't I be selecting the bootmgr.efi file, naming it, then trying to boot that to install?
    O.k. well if somehow have it covered from another forum i do not know how so. Not sure what you are trying to say, the bootmgr.efi is on the windows 8.1 you copied, to put it on a USB Flash you first need to make it bootable, if was made to a dvd this would be not needed i know of.

    How to install UEFI on Dell Inspiron 15 7559-untitled.jpg
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:57.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums