Downgrade from 10 to 7

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 17
    Windows 7 Home
       #1

    Downgrade from 10 to 7


    Hello all !

    Do you know how to downgrade a W10 ( as well as 8.1) pre-installed computer to Windows 7 ?
    Looks like it's not so easy as booting from a DVD or USB key and installing !

    Thanks a lot !
    Joss
      My Computer


  2. whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #2

    The main problem will be your OS license. Check first whether you have a free downgrade option.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 17
    Windows 7 Home
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Do you mean about Pro or standard (home for W10) ? Because each time it's OEM pre-equipped versions.
    The problem is that we can't downgrade to W7 even after creating the bootable device. I don't have time to activate it.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 17
    Windows 7 Home
    Thread Starter
       #4

    When I say downgrading, of course I mean installing a fresh copy of the OS. It looks like we can't do this either
      My Computer


  5. whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #5

    It should be easy to install Windows 7. But you may have to buy a new license.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 17
    Windows 7 Home
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Yes, the problem is, the BIOS is actually locked, as if they don't allow you to put W7...
    I'm trying to find a way to unlock it.
      My Computer


  7. whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #7

    What does the BIOS actually do to you. That sounds very unusual.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 827
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #8

    josselin8 said:
    Yes, the problem is, the BIOS is actually locked, as if they don't allow you to put W7...
    I'm trying to find a way to unlock it.
    whs said:
    What does the BIOS actually do to you. That sounds very unusual.
    Actually I have an Acer Desktop that came with Windows 8 and the BIOS would only let me install Win 8 and above, The only way to install Windows 7 on it would be to downgrade the BIOS to an earlier version
      My Computer


  9. whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #9

    Hmm, they do all kinds of strange things these days. Why not use 8.1. That is pretty nice too. I like that a lot better than 10.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 17
    Windows 7 Home
    Thread Starter
       #10

    sml156 said:
    Actually I have an Acer Desktop that came with Windows 8 and the BIOS would only let me install Win 8 and above, The only way to install Windows 7 on it would be to downgrade the BIOS to an earlier version
    Bingo ! That's our problem ! Any other suggestions than downgrading the BIOS ?

    Joss
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:58.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums