Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    19 Feb 2016 #1
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 17
    Windows 10 Pro

    How to upgrade and activate Win 10 Home N(unactivated) to Win 10 Pro N


    I installed Windows 10 Home N in a VM but have not activated it yet. After a couple of weeks configuring and testing the VM, I found I needed some pro features (like being able to audio in my host) so I would like to upgrade to that. I bought an OEM Windows 10 Pro N key. So is there a way I can upgrade and activate Windows 10 Home N to Windows 10 Pro N with my OEM Windows 10 Pro N key? If so how?

    When I go to the Activation screen under Settings --> Update & Security, I see two potential options; Change Product key and Activate. My guess would be to change the product key, but I want to make the right choice…
    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    19 Feb 2016 #2
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,892
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    ................My guess would be to change the product key.......................

    Yes. use that option.
    Then you enter the generic Pro product key............
    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    That will start changing your Win 10 Home to Pro, but not activated.
    When completed, you can then use the purchased Pro key to activate.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    19 Feb 2016 #3
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 17
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    But would the VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T key upgrade me to the non N version? All I have is the N version key?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    ................My guess would be to change the product key.......................

    Yes. use that option.
    Then you enter the generic Pro product key............
    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    That will start changing your Win 10 Home to Pro, but not activated.
    When completed, you can then use the purchased Pro key to activate.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    19 Feb 2016 #4
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,892
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Quote Originally Posted by inertia View Post
    But would the VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T key upgrade me to the non N version? All I have is the N version key?
    You are right.
    I forgot and overlooked the N version.
    I apologize.

    I don't know if the method I posted will apply to you.

    Again, sorry.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    19 Feb 2016 #5
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,892
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    inertia,

    Why don't you use the Tech Bench ink and download Windows 10 N iso > burn it to a bootable media such as DVD or USB.
    Then use it to do a Clean Install using your purchased Win 10 Pro N key to activate ?

    Tech Bench download link
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...brrWLRbagYCa0w)()

    Scroll down to Select Edition > click the pointer and select Windows 10 N > click Confirm.
    Make sure you select the same language as the compter is now using > click Confirm.
    Make sure you select the same bit version as the computer is now running.
    That will start the iso download.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    19 Feb 2016 #6
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 17
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Yes, I know that would work, but I spent weeks configuring everything, and was hoping I could avoid that.

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    inertia,

    Why don't you use the Tech Bench ink and download Windows 10 N iso > burn it to a bootable media such as DVD or USB.
    Then use it to do a Clean Install using your purchased Win 10 Pro N key to activate ?

    Tech Bench download link
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...brrWLRbagYCa0w)()

    Scroll down to Select Edition > click the pointer and select Windows 10 N > click Confirm.
    Make sure you select the same language as the compter is now using > click Confirm.
    Make sure you select the same bit version as the computer is now running.
    That will start the iso download.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    19 Feb 2016 #7
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,892
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    I understand.

    That is all I can offer to you.
    Good luck.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    19 Feb 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by inertia View Post
    Yes, I know that would work, but I spent weeks configuring everything, and was hoping I could avoid that.
    Have you tried entering the Pro product key you purchased in the Change Product Key screen? That would be the first thing to try. The worst that will happen is that it will tell you it is invalid.

    If that doesn't work, try entering this in Google:
    windows 10 pro n generic product key

    Look at the first link for mmo-champion website (I can't access it here at work). Trigger the upgrade to Pro N by changing the product key to the generic product key for Pro N. Once the upgrade is done, then activate it by changing the product key again to your purchased product key.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    20 Feb 2016 #9
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 17
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Yes, this worked, it Upgraded me to Win 10 Pro N and activated it at the same time.

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Have you tried entering the Pro product key you purchased in the Change Product Key screen? That would be the first thing to try. The worst that will happen is that it will tell you it is invalid.

    If that doesn't work, try entering this in Google:
    windows 10 pro n generic product key

    Look at the first link for mmo-champion website (I can't access it here at work). Trigger the upgrade to Pro N by changing the product key to the generic product key for Pro N. Once the upgrade is done, then activate it by changing the product key again to your purchased product key.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    20 Feb 2016 #10
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Good deal!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
W10 Home x64 (via upgrade W7 Home Premium) upgrade to W10 Pro by DVD
Windows 10 Home x64 in use. This W10 is activated after upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium. Is it possible to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home with a Microsoft Windows 10 Pro DVD and a valid key ? The current Windows 10 Home x64...
Installation and Upgrade
Can I use a Windows 7 starter key to activate windows 10 home 64-bit?
Hello! Microsoft said that with 1511 build we can now enter a Windows 7/8/8.1 licence key to activate windows 10 until july... but not so much more information whatsoever. I have a Windows 7 starter spare product key. I guess it's 32-bit (since I...
Windows Updates and Activation
Home Prem OA: Unactivated after moving HDD
I have 2 oldish laptops, an HP and an Asus, both of which came with Windows 7 Home Premium OA. The hdd on the HP died and could not be cloned :( I successfully upgraded the Asus to Win 10, but the Asus died recently :( So... I transferred...
Windows Updates and Activation
What else am I missing by having an unactivated copy?
I'm trying out an unactivated copy of W10 Pro on a virtual machine. Apart from not being able to personalise the desktop it seems to be fully functioning. What else am I missing by having an unactivated copy?
General Support
Can't activate Windows 10 after upgrade from activated 8.1
hello, i just upgraded my original Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, and when i try to activate it, Windows gives me an error http://i.imgur.com/06F33mO.png "Windows cannot be activated, please try again later" How can i solve this?
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums