Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    07 Feb 2016 #1
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,899
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Dual Boot System - RTM Partition No Longer Available


    I created a dual boot system quite some time ago and all was well until . . .

    RTM partition was completely up-to-date. I had recently updated to Windows 10 Build 10251 on the Insider partition.

    I turned the machine off on Sunday January 31, left town, and returned Saturday February 6. All was well with the dual boot when I turned the system off before leaving. When I turned the system on last night, it booted directly into the Insider Partition. There seems to be no option to boot into the RTM partition.

    Help!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    07 Feb 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 151
    Windows 10

    Does the RTM partition still exist? If it does, IMO, it's only missing from boot manager.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    07 Feb 2016 #3
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,899
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Private View Post
    Does the RTM partition still exist? If it does, IMO, it's only missing from boot manager.
    Yep, I checked and it's still there (D:\). And I know nothing about the boot manager.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    07 Feb 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 151
    Windows 10

    Press Win+R, type in -> msconfig <- Enter. Click on Boot tab, does the RTM is listed there? If it does, look at the Timeout box, the reading should be 30 seconds.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    07 Feb 2016 #5
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,891
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    msconfig method should fix the issue.

    Just to add..................
    Control Panel > Power Options > left side, Require password on wakeup > Change settings that are currently unavailable >scroll down, UN-check "Turn on fast boot startup" > Save changes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    07 Feb 2016 #6
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,899
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Private View Post
    Press Win+R, type in -> msconfig <- Enter. Click on Boot tab, does the RTM is listed there? If it does, look at the Timeout box, the reading should be 30 seconds.
    Thanks, Private; that worked!

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    msconfig method should fix the issue.

    Just to add..................
    Control Panel > Power Options > left side, Require password on wakeup > Change settings that are currently unavailable >scroll down, UN-check "Turn on fast boot startup" > Save changes.
    Thanks, David. Private's solution worked. So, if I'm reading this correctly, fast boot could be the culprit? But, but, but, I like fast boot.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    07 Feb 2016 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,899
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281
    Thread Starter

    My next question would be, "Has anyone else with a dual boot system had this problem or is this one mine alone? Should I send feedback?"
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    07 Feb 2016 #8
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,891
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    My next question would be, "Has anyone else with a dual boot system had this problem or is this one mine alone? Should I send feedback?"
    No, you are not alone.
    I have seen a few threads related to that.
    Personally I had the same issue. I dual booted Win 10 and Linux and it rebooted to Linus automatically.
    msconfig is the solution.
    Also under msconfig > Boot > I would set the OS I use most Set as default.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    07 Feb 2016 #9
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,899
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    No, you are not alone.
    I have seen a few threads related to that.
    Personally I had the same issue. I dual booted Win 10 and Linux and it rebooted to Linus automatically.
    msconfig is the solution.
    Thanks, David! Feedback imminent!

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    Also under msconfig > Boot > I would set the OS I use most Set as default.
    FWIW, for me, the most recent "installation" remains the default boot OS. Since RTM was the first installed, and I haven't clean installed it since the "November Release", each new build that's clean installed becomes the default; if I don't choose one or the other, the default boots.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    07 Feb 2016 #10
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,891
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Yes, the "latest" install becomes the default.
    That is why I mentioned about choosing which one you want as default. You might not want Insider build as default.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved No Windows Boot Manager on dual boot system (7 & 10)
Today I installed Windows 10 on my machine (ASUS N55SF laptop) for the first time on a separate hard drive. Now I have Windows 7 on my main hard drive and Windows 10 on my new drive (the latter being an SSD one). After installing Windows 10, I got a...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system
https://www.tenforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=61079&stc=1Hi guys in my desktop I have two hard disks ( disk 0 and disk 1 ) . Disk 1 is a clone of disk 0 created by Macrium Reflect Disk 0 : ( C: ) windows 10 pro , upgrade from windows 7 ...
Installation and Upgrade
want to go from dual boot 7 & 10 to one partition clean install of 10?
want to go from dual boot 7 & 10 to one partition clean install of win 10?
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Win 8.1 dual boot no longer works.
Hi all, Thanks for the assist in diagnosing in advance I have 4 partitions. 1 => System Reserved 2 => Win 10 3 => Win 8.1 4 => Storage
Installation and Upgrade
How to boot Win10 without the System Reserved Partition ?
It is possible in Win8. If it is possible in Win10, I'd like to know how.
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums