Is unformated primary partition necessary

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,375
    W10 21H2 19044.1387
       #1

    Is unformated primary partition necessary


    Noticed this #2 partition, (128MB), on my lappy, is it serving any purpose? Best way to include it in the C: partition, Tx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is unformated primary partition necessary-w10part.png  
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 17,246
    Windows 11 Pro
       #2

    meebers said:
    Noticed this #2 partition, (128MB), on my lappy, is it serving any purpose? Best way to include it in the C: partition, Tx
    Some say it's needed (including Microsoft), some say it isn't (including myself and MiniTool). See this post:
    Solved Partitions on laptop - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums

    It's your choice If you choose to delete it and add it to your C: drive system partition, then follow the MiniTool instructions and just add it to the C: drive instead of the system reserved partition.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 17,831
    Windows 10
       #3

    meebers said:
    Noticed this #2 partition, (128MB), on my lappy, is it serving any purpose? Best way to include it in the C: partition, Tx
    It's probably necessary because it has a Windows System logo on it, but it's quite small, that seems strange!
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 17,246
    Windows 11 Pro
       #4

    Edwin said:
    It's probably very necessary because it has a Windows System logo on it, but it's quite small, that seems strange!
    It's the pesky MSR partition that causes so much hate and discontent....
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 17,831
    Windows 10
       #5

    NavyLCDR said:
    It's the pesky MSR partition that causes so much hate and discontent....
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #6

    I'd leave it. MS say it is required (although they are a bit vague what it is required for) so even if they don't use it now they might in future.

    You could delete it, move C to the left and then extend C. If it turns out its presence is required for some future upgrade though you'd have to shrink C and shuffle it to the right and then recreate it... Seems a lot of effort for such a tiny gain.

    Its only 128MB (strangely they seem to have reduced the size lately - mine is only 16MB).
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1,375
    W10 21H2 19044.1387
    Thread Starter
       #7

    I just can't get a grip on it being #1, unformated and #2, does not appear to have used any of it, 128/128. On my small drive, was trying to utilize all the space it has.

    On my W10RTM desktop version it shows this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is unformated primary partition necessary-10rtm.png  
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 17,246
    Windows 11 Pro
       #8

    meebers said:
    I just can't get a grip on it being #1, unformated and #2, does not appear to have used any of it, 128/128. On my small drive, was trying to utilize all the space it has.

    On my W10RTM desktop version it shows this.
    It is space reserved for future use by Microsoft on GPT type disks. Is your desktop a GPT disk or MBR disk?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 1,375
    W10 21H2 19044.1387
    Thread Starter
       #9

    NavyLCDR said:
    It is space reserved for future use by Microsoft on GPT type disks. Is your desktop a GPT disk or MBR disk?
    MBR, have never been asked to choose GPT or MBR on a new disk. Have always let windows install choose type. GPT is blank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is unformated primary partition necessary-diskpart.png  
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 1,249
    Windows 10 Pro
       #10

    As it is only 128 MB which is about .3% of the disk size there seems little point in trying to use it. I would leave it alone.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums