Is unformated primary partition necessary

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 22,741
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #21

    NavyLCDR said:
    Or not. As you can tell, it really bugs topgundcp and a few others when people delete that little unformatted partition chunk of space. I don't know what bothers them more, the fact that Microsoft says not to do it and we do it anyway, or that nothing bad has happened to any system that it has been deleted from. I imagine if enough people delete the MSR partition, though, it might throw the world into chaos and be the start of the apocalypse like the Y2K bug was supposed to do. ;-)
    If it does cause issues will you go over and fix his PC??
      My Computer


  2. whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #22

    It is not right to tell people to do things that are not standard, It is there for a reason, period.
    Sorry to be blunt but I have to say what need to be said.
    You are absolutely right. And if you suggest a "non-standard" solution, make them aware of the possible implications.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,375
    W10 21H2 19044.1387
    Thread Starter
       #23

    Tomorrow, will will do a Macrium image to a unused disk, and uncheck part 2 as my plan in post #13. If it hoses the system so be it nothing lost. Not going to try it on an my current system. In post #17 Topguncp said that 128mb was normal for a Win8.1 to W10 upgrade. (my case) Maybe things will change if and when I do a clean install. Tx again for the replys....
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 1,215
    Windows 8.1, Win10Pro
       #24

    On win8.1, I did the "migration" that NavyLCDR suggested -- moving the stuff from the MSR into the OS partition (using EasyBCD) -- and never suffered any negative results because of that. I did that because I needed more partitions on the drive, and the MSR partition was taking up one of the four permitted.

    However, Win10 is new enough, that on another machine, I also have an MSR partition, and even though it now seems unused, I've decided to leave it alone. Since it does not appear to be "broke", I have no intention of "fixing" it!
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 17,246
    Windows 11 Pro
       #25

    @topgundcp, @BunnyJ, @whs,

    Would you care to elaborate what portion of my reply #2 and the link I posted is factually incorrect? The very first thing that I stated was that Microsoft says the precious MSR unformmated partition is necessary on a GPT disk. Was not the appropriate information and warning given right up front?

    meebers said:
    Tomorrow, will will do a Macrium image to a unused disk, and uncheck part 2 as my plan in post #13. If it hoses the system so be it nothing lost. Not going to try it on an my current system. In post #17 Topguncp said that 128mb was normal for a Win8.1 to W10 upgrade. (my case) Maybe things will change if and when I do a clean install. Tx again for the replys....
    But @meebers, what are you going to do when Microsoft detects that you deleted their "necessary" partition and send their black helicopters to start circling over your house? :
      My Computer


  6. whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #26

    I feel innocent - LOL. I do not recall questioning your statements. My post was purely generic.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 17,246
    Windows 11 Pro
       #27

    whs said:
    I feel innocent - LOL. I do not recall questioning your statements. My post was purely generic.
    Well, you posted they should be made aware of the implications - and I feel that they were, in post #2 which references the Microsoft website that states the MSR partition is necessary.
      My Computer


  8. whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #28

    NavyLCDR said:
    Well, you posted they should be made aware of the implications - and I feel that they were, in post #2 which references the Microsoft website that states the MSR partition is necessary.
    Hmm, you lost me. Did I refer to your post #2 ??
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 17,246
    Windows 11 Pro
       #29

    whs said:
    Hmm, you lost me. Did I refer to your post #2 ??
    I apologize. I took your post the wrong way and became overly defensive.
      My Computer


  10. whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #30

    It's OK. That happens to most of us at times.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums