Reinstalling Windows 10 after installing Windows 7


  1. Posts : 21
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
       #1

    Reinstalling Windows 10 after installing Windows 7


    Hi,
    so here goes:
    If I install* Windows 7 atop Windows 10, and then reinstall* Windows 10, will it activate itself or not?


    Note - all installs are clean installs.


    Thanks in advance!
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 17,351
    Windows 11 Pro
       #2

    Yes. If you are just going to reinstall Windows 10 then why would you install Windows 7 first?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 21
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    NavyLCDR said:
    Yes. If you are just going to reinstall Windows 10 then why would you install Windows 7 first?
    I'm having problems on Windows 10 that I never experienced on Windows 7. I've tried reinstalling and resetting Windows 10, to no avail.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 17,351
    Windows 11 Pro
       #4

    K. Since the computer has been upgraded once and activated, all future installs of Windows 10 will activate on it by retrieving the digital entitlement from Microsoft activation servers when connected to the internet - regardless of how many times you back to Windows 7.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 12,474
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #5

    Tjeros said:
    I'm having problems on Windows 10 that I never experienced on Windows 7. I've tried reinstalling and resetting Windows 10, to no avail.
    I just used the Reset on a Win10 Notebook and received a warning that doing so would remove the possibility [files needed] of going back to Win8.1.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 21
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #6

    NavyLCDR said:
    K. Since the computer has been upgraded once and activated, all future installs of Windows 10 will activate on it by retrieving the digital entitlement from Microsoft activation servers when connected to the internet - regardless of how many times you back to Windows 7.
    OK. How is the information stored - as in, how will it know that on this computer Windows 10 has been activated before?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 13,683
    Windows10
       #7

    Tjeros said:
    OK. How is the information stored - as in, how will it know that on this computer Windows 10 has been activated before?
    When you install Windows 10 first time, the MS activation servers register your hardware id (like a mac address but more secure).

    So next time you install it, it checks to see if previously registered and if so activates it.

    You do not need to save anything on pc.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 13,683
    Windows10
       #8

    Berton said:
    I just used the Reset on a Win10 Notebook and received a warning that doing so would remove the possibility [files needed] of going back to Win8.1.
    You can always go back to Windows 8.1 by reinstalling from scratch using MS iso.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 21
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #9

    cereberus said:
    When you install Windows 10 first time, the MS activation servers register your hardware id (like a mac address but more secure).

    So next time you install it, it checks to see if previously registered and if so activates it.

    You do not need to save anything on pc.
    Alright, thanks! A little more curiosity:
    a) What exactly is the info it registers?
    b) How many times can it be activated?

    Thanks in advance!
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 13,683
    Windows10
       #10

    Tjeros said:
    Alright, thanks! A little more curiosity:
    a) What exactly is the info it registers?
    b) How many times can it be activated?

    Thanks in advance!
    Re info - do not really know but it is derived from info on your mobo/bios - MS do not openly say what info, presumably to prevent piracy.

    Re. Activations - unlimited as far as I know for digital entitlement.

    If you activate using a Windows 10 key ie product key activatin, I assume it will be same as for previous versions i.e. a soft limit of 5 times, after which you will need to use telephone activation to reset the activation count to zero.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:55.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums